Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 civic B18A1 swap with a 5-speed swap at the same time

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 07:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 civic B18A1 swap with a 5-speed swap at the same time

UPDATES ADDED...
A/C RE-INSTALL, 99 DIZZY WIRING ADDED AS WELL...
I'M TRYING TO KEEP AS MUCH INFO ON THE MATTER AS I CAN IN THIS THREAD, HOPEFULLY IT WILL BE THE ONLY THREAD YOU NEED TO HELP WITH YOUR SWAP...

hey, ive stayed up late the last few night's reading the archive's and doing lot's of searche's but can't find out alot in term's of a 92 LS B18A1 with the 5-speed trany going into a 98 civic... i orderd the mount's from hasport on friday they should hopefully be here today... just need to know if i should use my stock wireing harness from my D16Y8 or do i need to pull the harness from the integra... i have the whole integra in the garge and i can use what ever i need... i got the car from a friend and he recently rebuilt the motor with performance piston's h-beam rods and some other ****... the trany was also gone threw and has a good clutch and pressure plate along with a lightend flywheel... sorry i don't have the spec's as to exactly what he did to the motor and tran's but i will find out and let you know...

i will post pick's as i do this swap and i hope people will let me know if i'm doing something wrong or if there is simply a better to do thing's...

what i know is this: i need the shift linkage from the integra, computer, possably the wire harness??? i already have a OBD2 to OBD1 harness with a chipped P28 that i was going to use with my D16Y8, vtec kick's in at 5200 and red line is 8500...

as far as axel's go... i'm prolly going to have my friend make me some to fit, he build's drive line's and axel's for a living so he know's his ****...

this motor does not have vtec, yet, i may do a LS vtec later on if it is worth it...

so there it is, i'm doing my first swap and i want to do it right... any opion's will be appreiceated...
here is some pic's of how my car was a day before the motor blew and a few after ward's...

before

after

i hope to have this done by next monday, i'll post pick's of the part's car as well, it was a clean 92 integra-before it hit the wall at 70mph... it still has a AEM big brake kit on it, AEM short shifter, front seat's still look and feel almost new, back seat's are the same way with the exception of a lil cigerret burn... that's all for now... thank's

i accidently posted this in the wrong spot last night, thank you "Noles" as well as "TouringAccord" for helping me get this posted in the right area...

Modified by 4Door Life at 8:24 AM 5/28/2006

Last edited by 4Door Life; 08-11-2009 at 10:38 PM.
Old 05-24-2006, 02:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 98 civic B18A1 swap with a 5-speed swap at the same time (4Door Life)

here are a couple of pics of the part's car... to night i was able to get motor and trans ready to be pulled out, only need to remove the axle's and motormount bolt's... my hasport mount's came in today i had to get the Si braket for the rear mount as well as the clutch cable to hydro kit... it was expensive but worth it... so far i see a possable problem with the ls trany speed sensor... right now it uses a cable to go to the speedometer, mine is electric so i need to know if it's just a matter of switching the cable with the sensor from my tranny... or do i need to go buy something... thank's again

Old 05-26-2006, 01:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 98 civic B18A1 swap with a 5-speed swap at the same time (4Door Life)

okay, this morning i stopped working after removeing the motor from the integy and prepping the one in my civic... want to say thank's to rudy for bringing over the cool *** air operated cherry picker and lorrie (HOTTIE) who just know's alot about civic's... here are some current pic's... the motor and trany in the civic is the same one i have for sale, let me know if anyone is interested... thank's

BTW, please keep in mind that this IS my FIRST swap... thank's

frame was so bent i had to cut off this mount to get the motor out...

here's motor just waitning to go into the civic

only thing left to do is finnish removeing the axel's, then she's ready to come out...
Old 05-27-2006, 03:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i feel like im talking to myself here but that's okay...
last night i pulled the motor from the civic and i installed the pedal's and yes, it sucked... but its done and it looks pretty good... i also prepped the new motor by installing the HASPORT mount bracket's and the cable to hydro conversion... something doesn't seem right with it to me tho...i had to remove the adjustment rod for it to fit with the slave cylinder... i'm woundering if i needed to get a slave for the integra intead of the civic...? i also installed the mount on the rear sub frame as well as the bracket for the driver's side... damn, those mount's look sic... here are some pic's...

that's a nice dirty engine bay...

yes, i'm going to maybe clean it up... maybe
on secound thought, my car has been down almost two week's, i would rather spend the time getting it running again and worry about look's later when i have time to do it right...

thank's to another post i learned that this clutch pedal need's to be spaced out from the fire wall, i used four fender washer's for each side, 8 total... worked out great...

i took out my steering assy, i dont have a clock spring or airbag's any more so i wasn't worried about it not lineing back up...

doe's this look right, give me some feed back here...

my ebay center counsel and fake bride shift boot... cool

Modified by 4Door Life at 7:48 AM 5/28/2006
Old 05-28-2006, 06:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well i got the motor in the car, one big problem tho... the mount's i got from hasport are great however the one on the driver's side donsn't fit... i took some more pics so you can see what i'm dealing with... i'm not sure if it mount's a different way or if i was supposed to use a different bracket at the motor or if they simply sent me the wrong mount... i'll call them and see if i can find out what went wrong... suck's that monday is a holiday...
i hooked up the shift linkage and took out the the auto shifter assy and trew it in the trash can... i'm not going to cut a big hole in hump to install the shifter linkage to the floor, instead i cut out the part on the hump were the shift linkage bolt's to in the integra and i'm going to use that instead... under the car were the auto shift linkage went i'm going to take my air chisel and cut it out but i'm going to leave one side so that i can smake it over with a hammer and flatin it out so it fill's the hole... apply a lil seam sealler and there you go, no huge hole and i will be able to use the rubber mount from the integra that will fill in the hole in the floor... i will take some pic's after i do this so you can see what i'm talking about...

you know, i'm realy surprised as to how many people have viewed this post and no one want's to give any feedback... i thought i would at least have some some one telling me how im f-ing up or just getting a either way just thought i would point that out...

here are some more pic's

it simply doe's not line up with the braket on the motor...

i know it look's like the motor need's to move back in the car but it's back as far as it can go... the other mount's are hooked up and i have the floor jack holding up the driver's side... i put a piece of 4x4 wood on the jack so it wound't put a hole in the pan...

well, i wanted to post more pic's but my card reader stoped working so i will post when i can
Old 05-28-2006, 07:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

okay, i rebooted now my card reader is working again here are pic's i was talking about a minute ago...

the hump without the auto shifter, i'm glad it's gone

this is the part i cut out of the integra, befor trimming and drilling two extra holes for mounting purpos's...

back side... i'm going to trim were the second peice of metal is welded on... not sure how else to say it...

you can see what i'm talking about right here

it's kinda hard to tell but there are six holes in the cover i made, two toward's the front two at the back were the linkage will bolt to the two right in front of that... the two in front and the two in the middle are were im going to bolt it to the floor... it's cool because they line up perfact with the auto shift assy bolt hole's...

another angle, here you see the lil pocket were the auto shift linkage went threw... this is were i said i was going to cut off and leave one side so i can smack it over with a hammer flat then use seam sealer to seal it... just need to drill the two hole's in the hump so i can bolt up the linkage...
Old 05-28-2006, 10:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

looks good. about the tranny you're using.. if it's out of a 92 integra, it's a cable tranny, right?
Old 05-29-2006, 12:46 AM

Nice write up, I'm surprised that no-one is commenting on the build up........

Keep it up....
Old 05-29-2006, 01:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (flatfourfan)

yes you are correct... i had to get a cable to hydro conversion kit from hasport...
Old 05-29-2006, 03:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (4Door Life)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by flatfourfan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Nice write up, I'm surprised that no-one is commenting on the build up........

Keep it up....</TD></TR></TABLE>

thank you i appreciate that, im suprised myself...
Old 05-29-2006, 04:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

okay, today i felt like taking it easy and just did a couple of thing's... i now have the plate from the integra trimmed up and bolted in, i also cut out the pocket for the auto shift linkage... i cut out the shift pocket a lil different than i was planning, i think it actually worked out a lil bit better and was a hell of alot easyier than expected... i used my airhammer with a flat chisel end and from inside the car i simply cut between the floorboard and the pocket, i took out the spot weld's were i could reach whitch only left two toward's the front... i reached my arm threw the new shift plate i made and just bent it up and down until the spot weld's broke off... i then used a piece of fairly thin steel strapping to cover the hole... after i was done i used some seam sealer to bond the to piece's in my car... later i will go back and spot paint (rattle can) the piece's white... it came out for the most part, very clean... tomorrow i need to bolt the shift linkage up and put the interior back together and i belive i will be done with part of my build...
here are some pic's of what i did tonight...

the two spot welds by my finger is were i had to bend it up and down to break it off...

thank's for giving me a lil input, i do appriciate it
Old 05-29-2006, 11:06 AM
R.I.P.

Default Re: (flatfourfan)

good job on your first swap
Old 05-29-2006, 03:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (honda 3300)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by honda 3300 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">good job on your first swap </TD></TR></TABLE>

thank you,
Old 05-30-2006, 05:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

okay, so i call HASPORT today to find out what is wrong with my Mount's... this is what they told me, i need to get the mount that that actually bolt's to the motor, i need one from a 99-00 Si civic... i was like why did you not tell me this when i ordered the Mount's and specifically asked you, what do i need to complete this swap... he says, well you need one, i can sell you one for
$75 plus shipping or you can go to the dealer and buy one... so i went to desert Honda and ordered one for $63 plus $10 for over night, plus i ordered a clutch reservoir and cap also cover under the $10 shipping charge... oh well, live and learn i guess...
Old 05-31-2006, 04:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

BUmP... car is on hold for a day or two... waitng for special order part's to come in...
the 5 speed conversion part is basically done, waitng for the clutch master resovoir to come in and i need to change the rubber line to the slave...

BTW, does any body have a complete b18 intake with injector's fuel rail, TB sensor's for sale... need's to be 96-00... from what i hear i can convert this OBD1 B18 into OBD2 by simply switching the intake assy... this will make the wireing process alot easier... please let me know, thank you, Brian
Old 06-01-2006, 08:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

update: i got my part's i was waiting for, 99-00 Si motor mount, the one with the three bolts that bolt to the block... the motor is now being held in place by the mount's, i aslo recieved the clutch master resovior... when i get a min i need to take some measurments for my buddy so he can make up some half shaft's... ill take some more pic's later and post them... Brian
Old 06-02-2006, 12:59 AM

nice build
Old 06-02-2006, 08:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Qborofinest24)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Qborofinest24 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> nice build</TD></TR></TABLE>

thank you, i appreciate that...
Old 06-02-2006, 08:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump..... still waiting for more parts... ill post some pics over the weekend..... BTW my header came in, that was cool except for the fact it wont bolt up to my cat and my megan H-bar is in the way... i will remove it and when i get to the point were i can fire it up ill get all new exhuast, AGIAN... LOL the exhust i have on there now is about 8 months old... its cool tho, this motor is built so it needs a lil more breathing room any way... LATE
Old 06-02-2006, 08:21 PM

cool. good for you. im about to swap in a b16 this weekend!

one question, did you get really dirty and grimey?
Old 06-02-2006, 09:22 PM

hey im doin the excate same thing as u except im doin it with a b18b1, im just havin trouble with the electrical, I got a chipped ECU and cut the old harness (d16y8) and color matched it to the b18, but im just having trouble firing the thing.

I also am waiting on parts, UPS lost my f**kin cable converion kit :D other than that its just got to fire up and im away, lookin good but u did a hell of alot of more work than me, for the axles u just have to get the half shaft from the teg u took the motor from and also the axles.

so the linkage worked??? I had to use the 99-00 Si linkage to get it cauze my d16 was to short, whatever works though
Old 06-02-2006, 09:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (civicguy81)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civicguy81 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hey im doin the excate same thing as u except im doin it with a b18b1, im just havin trouble with the electrical, I got a chipped ECU and cut the old harness (d16y8) and color matched it to the b18, but im just having trouble firing the thing.

I also am waiting on parts, UPS lost my f**kin cable converion kit :D other than that its just got to fire up and im away, lookin good but u did a hell of alot of more work than me, for the axles u just have to get the half shaft from the teg u took the motor from and also the axles.

so the linkage worked??? I had to use the 99-00 Si linkage to get it cauze my d16 was to short, whatever works though </TD></TR></TABLE>

LOL, thats cool im glad im not the only one... so i can reuse the half shafts from the integy huh... i have the whole car still, the problem is i dont have the key for the the wheel locks... i want to take the AEM big brake kit off still but the lugs are sunk into the wheel... i tried to hammer a socket on them to spin them off but there isnt enough room between the wheel and the lug.. i also tried my air hammer at an angle with no luck... as far as wireing goes, im waitng on a 99-00 civic Si intake (complete), from what i hear it should make it a pulg and go system... do you know why your haveing problems with the wireing...? are you using a P28 ECU, i have one that i chipped along with a OBD2 to OBD1 conversion harness... i see you also had to use the linkage from the other car huh... LOL im a lil pissed because i allready had everything i needed to rebuild my D16 and do a 5-speed swap and then this happend... now i have all this crap for a D16Y8 and cant use any of it... except for the center shift counsel that is... anyways, keep me posted i would love to hear about the progress you are makeing... Brian
Old 06-02-2006, 09:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 98 civic B18A1 swap with a 5-speed swap at the same time (For_Sale)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by For_Sale &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">cool. good for you. im about to swap in a b16 this weekend!

one question, did you get really dirty and grimey? </TD></TR></TABLE>

LOL, YES I DID... i still have dirt and grim i cant det rid of...
let me know how yours goes, this is my first one so im a lil tenative on a few things... Brian
Old 06-03-2006, 11:16 AM

I dont think I have had any probs with the wiring cauze I just cut the wires off the d16 dizz and soldered it onto the teg clips to make a adapter harness cauze the colors matched, im not sure on the ECU I have but it is chipped and I also have the OBD2-1 harness, just my only prob is that I dont have any spark or fuel atm to get the bastard going and just waiting on my conversion kit still but I might just rig somethin up until I get it cauze by the looks of the pic it seems pretty simple on how to activate the clutch.
Old 06-03-2006, 02:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (civicguy81)

cut and solder huh... i might have to that as well, thank's for the tip... BTW have you figured out whats up with your spark and fuel... thank's, Brian

Quick Reply: 98 civic B18A1 swap with a 5-speed swap at the same time