Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Quaife lsd Install - Caution to all --> Differential Bearings from Acura/Honda out of spec!

Old 05-13-2006, 03:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quaife lsd Install - Caution to all --> Differential Bearings from Acura/Honda out of spec!

Ok to preface this topic I have not yet had a chance to contact Baranco Acura about this issue (will tomorrow or monday), but I felt compelled to write about this since this is the first time (and im sure many others) have seen anything like this.

To start things out I purchased a new Quaife LSD for my LS transmission since I destroyed the stock differential. Prior to installing the LSD, further research implicated that for me to complete the installation, it was advised to purchase a new pair of differential bearings.

After a little researched I found IN VTEC's itr LSD install write up to be very helpful : https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=795700

I found that the part number* for the bearings were:

91005-P80-E31

*please note that this part number is for the ENCLOSED bearings and not the other half rack style.

Ok continuing I ordered 2 bearings from Baranco Acura in GA.

Upon arrival I was eager to get my project going again. I checked out that the part numbers matched and indeed they did. I checked that the markings on the bearings were identical. Everything seemed fine so I went ahead and pressed them on to my new quaife differential.

After installing the bearings onto the differential I was ready to test fit and set the assembly into the transmission housing to check my thrust clearance. To my disappointment I found that my gear box cover was settled all the way over the bearing on the top of the differential but the seams between the tranny case and the gear case were not touching.

At first I thought that it could have been possible that I didn't seat the bearings all the way onto the shaft of the new quaife. I removed the LSD and tried to 'seat' the bearings more with a rubber mallet and a 1 5/8" socket. Test fit......still the same thing.

After taking a closer look I noticed that the bearings were indeed seated all the way, however I noticed that the new bearings that I just installed had an extra lip to them on the inner shaft:

Heres the original stock diff, stock bearing:

Heres the quaife LSD with the new bearing:

After recognizing that the bearings that I had just installed weren't looking right I decided to go to harbor freight and buy a bearing splitter and puller to pull one of the bearings and check its specs.

In the following picture on the left is the new bearing from Baranco and on the right is the old bearing.

Backside shot (no pun intended):

So both bearings pretty much *look* the same until you see them from this angle:

So with the helpful use of my digital assistant Mr. EDC (Electrical digital caliper) I measured the inner shaft width of each bearing:

Width of original bearing = 18mm :

Width of new bearing = 19.45mm (~1.5mm+!!) :

You can really see the extra lip in these next two pics:

On table:

So in conclusion since each bearing is 1.5mm+ out of spec that would give me a total of +3mm out of spec with the other bearing. Thus there is no way for me to use these bearings since they will not allow any negative clearance between the bearing and the case for my thrust shim clearance (which should be .004").

This also makes me wonder if any other individuals on here have had this problem at all or am I the first one?? This also makes me suspect that since the bearings add +3mm of end to end height on the differential it could be possible that some people didn't catch this and it could lead to a cracked case or even tranny failure....

Any insight would be greatly appreciated

I will be contacting Baranco as soon as I can. I let you guys know whats up

Footnotes:

- Bearings from Honda 1.5mm out of spec
- Can't measure for thrust clearance because the gear case rides on the diff bearings because of the extra inner shaft height of the bearings...
- Big PITA!!!

Modified by InfamousDC2FI at 12:43 AM 5/14/2006
Old 05-13-2006, 05:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Quaife lsd Install - Caution to all --> Differential Bearings from Acura/Honda out of spec! (

I'm getting ready to do a Quaife install into a S4C tranny. I'll be using the P21 enclosed diff bearings instead of the P80 enclosed diff bearings. They measure .7065" +/- .0005". That's ~17.9451mm.

I don't remember if the P80 bearings I used on my transmission had that pronounced of a lip on them or not. However, I do know that it clearanced in just fine.

Is your original diff a P80 or a P21 unit?

You may have to use the P21 bearings instead of the P80 bearings.
Old 05-13-2006, 07:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Quaife lsd Install - Caution to all --> Differential Bearings from Acura/Honda out of spec! (

there are 2 types of sealed bearings as you may have already noticed. the GSR/ITR diff uses the "thicker" bearing and the LS/B16 uses the "thinner" one

i noticed the same thing while i had a few tranny's apart.
Old 05-13-2006, 07:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

When I installed my Quafie lsd I used the stock GSR roller tapper bearings , I just checked the installed hight of the bearings as I was installing them on the Quafie diff, not problems what so ever diff is silent and only makes some sound while making 90 degree turns wich is nomal , for the spedo gear use a 2 jaw puller and go slow pulling it off , to reinstall it I just used a plastic hammer and seated it on that way
Old 05-13-2006, 08:09 PM

omg.......I feel like an idiot....after further review I went on baranco's website and indeed non-Vtec is right the part # for a 97 ls is different......I thought that all the enclosed bearings would of been the same but I guess not....

the correct part # for my application:

number 17

integra ls tranny: 91005-P80-003

Modified by InfamousDC2FI at 7:17 AM 5/14/2006

Modified by InfamousDC2FI at 7:25 AM 5/14/2006
Old 05-13-2006, 08:57 PM

heres the correct part number for the following makes/models for those requiring enclosed bearings:

INTEGRA '94 - '98
INTEGRA 4DR GS-R, INTEGRA 3DR GS-R , INTEGRA 3DR TYPE-R

Diff bearings honda part #: 91005-P80-003

-----------------------------------------------

INTEGRA '98 - '01
INTEGRA 3DR TYPE R, INTEGRA 3DR GS-R LEATHER, INTEGRA 4DR GS-R LEATHER, INTEGRA 3DR GS-R, INTEGRA 4DR GS-R

Diff bearings honda part #: 91005-P80-E31

-----------------------------------------------

INTEGRA '90 - '01
INTEGRA 3DR LS, INTEGRA 4DR RS, INTEGRA 4DR GS, INTEGRA 3DR GS

Diff bearings honda part #: 91005-PS1-003

Well I guess im the one who should get laughed at......
Old 05-17-2006, 10:17 PM

well finally got my tranny back together with the right bearings for an ls.....thanks mucho guys
Old 05-19-2006, 04:30 PM

Out of curiosity, what is the diameter of the bearings? NOT thickness. I may have a damn good upgrade to test if its around 21mm.
Old 05-19-2006, 04:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the bearing diameter is the same......both the thicker and thinner bearings fit into the GSR/LS/B16 tranny cases......its the thickness of the bearing that causes the clearence issues......

Old 05-19-2006, 09:55 PM

exactly......too bad i had to find out the hard way....
Old 10-16-2014, 12:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Quaife lsd Install - Caution to all --> Differential Bearings from Acura/Honda ou

i know this post is sooo old,I'm too confused and i need help with my 2 trannys the first one is a s4c 99 tranny oem stock and my second one is a s80 00 gsr usdm tranny with mfactory helical lsd and 4.785 oem final drive, i want to make a very strong transmisson for my allmotor built,,,ok i need to know 100% if my if my gsr parts fits perfect on my s4c tranny, i want to put in my s4c the S80 parts " 4.785 oem FD and my Mfactory LSD" into my s4c b16 tranny, i have to make any modifications? fits perfect my s80 parts into my s4c tranny? what i need for them>??? any help are very welcome!! thanks