Notices
All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

Ignition Timing problem Wont reach 3 marks

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 11:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ignition Timing problem Wont reach 3 marks

I have seen this problem when I researched but there hasnt been a streight forward answer or any potential resolutions. So I will post this question again and hope that there is an answer.

I am leaking oil, and since I just did a head swap I figure the head studs arent tightened all the way. So I take my cams off and all that crap. When I put it together my timing was good. And when i wanted to adjust my ignition timing it was way off. So i advanced it, but then i couldnt advance it anymore and it was still about an inch off. So i figured it was off a tooth. So i took my valve cover and timing belt cover off again to check the timing, it was actually off a couple teeth some how. I adjusted it and it was DEAD on. I left off the timing belt cover so I could check timing easier. I tried to adjust the ig. timing again and still the same problem, but a little closer. I stopped the engine to check timing and it was still good. I tried to do ig. timing again and it still couldnt be advanced enough to match up with 3 marks.

I know for a fact im on the right wire, ive played around with that **** so much i can take it apart with my eyes closed. But this has just derailed me a bit. It runs fine, but I can tell the ig. timing is off. Its power just isnt there. Ive done ig. timing quite a few times and it was no different this time. Before I took it all apart the timing and ig. timing was good. i dont know what happened. Any help would be great thanks
Old 04-29-2006, 08:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ignition Timing problem Wont reach 3 marks (jakscivic)

Well I have seen this before. Two things...

1. check your rotor. They slide on the metal insert.
2. tensioner? did you tighten it then time?

If the belt is loose then the timing will be off. Also make sure the camgear is aligned with the valvecover gasket surface.

I replaced the cam gear and that helped (It got me three degrees). It seemed that the camgear was worn down somehow. 212,000 mi. didn't help it.

On my motor the timing pointer on the t-belt cover is off about two degrees too from TDC.

I had to go thru it a couple of times to get it right.
Old 04-29-2006, 11:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I did tighten my tensioner. Tomorrow or monday i can check my timing again, I have to work a lot this weekend. Im not too sure on how to change the rotor. Ive heard of it but im not sure where it is and how to get to it. I did line the marks up with the tb cover. Thats why im so confused on how its all the sudden not able to be adjusted right.
Old 04-29-2006, 07:37 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (jakscivic)

I've seen cars where someone had replaced the timing belt and forgot to put the woodruff key for the crank pulley back in. This is very easy to check and fix by removing the crank pulley bolt.
Old 04-29-2006, 09:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

nah, i know for a fact that the key is there. I just put my pulley back in and i remember the key being a bitch. So its in.
Old 04-30-2006, 12:51 AM
New User

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jakscivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I just put my pulley back in and i remember the key being a bitch. So its in.</TD></TR></TABLE>
It's real easy to check. How bad do you want to know?
Old 04-30-2006, 01:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh, i know its in there. I had a squeeking problem a few weeks back, so i looked under my hood while my car was running to see what it was and i saw my pulley wobbling!!! I turned off my car and my belt was actually half gone. I thought maybe the pulley was broken or something. So i took it off and i saw that the key was pressed back inbetween the pulley and the crank making the pulley off center. I put it back in place and its fine. When i did my timing I also saw it there.
Old 04-30-2006, 08:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

any other suggestions
Old 04-30-2006, 09:14 PM
New User

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jakscivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">any other suggestions</TD></TR></TABLE>
Are you using adjustable cam gears? How about a rundown of all the modifications you have done before, during, and after the head swap.(?)
Old 05-01-2006, 03:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well when this happened i just took my cams off, that dont have adjustable cam gears. I just wanted to check and make sure my head was tqed down to spec. The timing was perfect before. But now it cant reach. I didnt change anything when i checked that everything was tqed.
Old 05-01-2006, 08:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So i looked at it again today and took off the valve cover and saw that the crank was off a tooth. I adjusted it and started my car and it still wouldnt reach the three teeth. I couldnt believe it. So i took the valve cover off again and saw it was still a tooth off. I was like WTF!!!! So I adjusted it perfect again and started my car. It still wouldnt reach, i just stood there looking at the three notches and I swear it was even moving even further away!!! I wanted to kill someone. Then I realized it was me who I should have killed. As I stood there cursing I started seeing the notches move closer, then closer, then even closer. I forgot that to adjust it, it has to be at normal operating temp. I waited and adjusted it perfect. Im stupid, I hope someone reads this and realized their problem was just as stupid. Thanks for taking your time and trying to help me out.
Old 05-01-2006, 08:36 PM
New User

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jakscivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I hope someone reads this and realized their problem was just as stupid. Thanks for taking your time and trying to help me out.</TD></TR></TABLE>
No problem. I hope this helps someone else too.