Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

92-95 civic climate control lighting problem / loud fan

Old 04-08-2006, 09:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92-95 civic climate control lighting problem / loud fan

Inquiry #1

It happened not too long ago that my climate control as seen in this picture below no longer wants to light up. I do not think it has anything to do with a fuse as originally just the left side of the controls light up, and other times the entire thing, and temporarily just banging it on the side a little would get it working no problem. the AC/Climate Setting/External or Recirculated lights all still work (the little lights above where I've marked in red). although that lit area right under it where there is the hot to cold spectrum, and the fan speed from low to high do not light up at ALL anymore... again I do believe it has something to do with the actual climate control and not a fuse.

(this is not a picture of my actual dash, just one that i found on google to use to show and explain what i meant)

If anyone else has experienced this problem, knows about what might have caused it, or solutions to fix it, I would be very happy to learn and fix the issue I just want to pinpoint the problem so that I know what I need to replace or fix.

Thank YOU!

Inquiry #2

The fan is loud in my car, I know it's not supposed to be silent, although a few of my buddies have the same car (eg) and it is quieter than mine, is there anything I can do to silence my fan as much as possible, or how can i replace the fan on my car all together. I am referring to the interior fan which powers the hot/cold air.

THANKS

- ALPOUS
Old 04-08-2006, 10:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

for the lights its a very common problem in the EG, im not sure what the fix is. mine does the same thing. the blower motor is also a common problem that HONDA actually put out a TSB on. replace the motor and your problem will be solved.
Old 04-08-2006, 01:26 PM

Default Re: (schardbody)

thanks for the reply, i will replace the blower motor, does anyone know of the part number, or the name of the part I can use so that searches will be more accurate, so far I have been searching for Honda Fan or Honda Blower.

With the lighting problem I am wondering what part of the climate console I will be needing to replace... just the light portion, or does it come in a bigger piece which controls the climate settings, exterior/recirc air, a/c, hot/cold setting, and fan speed....

any replies will be appreciated. thank you
Old 04-08-2006, 01:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well u can try new bulbs, it's a bitch to get out

take out the piece that goes down to the floor (4 screws), then take the radio out, then take the 3 screws that hold in the climate control from the bottom, then pop out the guage bezzel, from the top there pop out the 2 plugs on the back of the climate control and disconnect the temperature adjustment wire, then the climate control will slide out, think there's 4 screws on that, then d/c the buttons and the faceplate should pop off, the sockets pull out from the back, you can change the bulbs from there, look in the FAQ section for amber lighting write up, that tells you how to take out the climate control, but I'ma warn u, it's not a 1,2,3 process if you've never done it before
Old 04-08-2006, 01:37 PM

Out of every

Default Re: (Syndacate)

yup replace the bulbs same thing happened to me with my climate control. give it a good hit and they would come on, but then turn off. replaced bulbs now it all lights up.
as for the fan check if its secured down tight. mine was loud before, but then i found that it was missing a bolt. its not loud anymore if it is replace the motor or the whole fan itself.
Old 04-08-2006, 01:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (e gee two)

Blower motor assembly: 79310-SR3-A01 $102.70 that's retail!
Also Check to see if there is leaves or crap in the blower its self!
Hope that helps!

Dutch
Old 04-08-2006, 01:53 PM

thanks everybody who posted to this topic, I'm on my way outside to test out all of your advice, and after I have fixed both issues I will come back on and let you all know if it worked or not. thanks!
Old 04-08-2006, 02:02 PM

Default Re: (e gee two)

e gee two, what kind of bulbs did you need to use to replace the factory bulbs. is this a part i will most likely need to go to Honda for?

thanks

- ALPOUS
Old 04-09-2006, 02:33 PM

i took apart the climate control out, and replaced the bulbs with 74's as was instructed in the Amber Lighting Thread in the FAQ section.

unfortunately even after changing the bulbs I was unable to get my lights to light up... after taking the console apart i found that the circuit board had something to do with the reason why the lights were not working. I think it is a connection issue with the wires to the bulb connecting to the circuit board of the climate control.

is there anyway to fix the connection? is resaudering a possibility. or will i need to go and find a new climate control because it doesn't seem like i can fix this one ...
Old 04-09-2006, 03:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (alpous)

ive ghetto rigged it b4 because i was lazy.. basicly wired the lights to the cig lighter.
Old 04-09-2006, 08:00 PM

has anyone experienced the same issue... I've tried fitting in 24's and 74's (bulbs) into the gauge cluster, and climate control... these bulbs i was putting in were from Canadian Tire and didn't fit very well at all... they wouldn't clip in nicely like the stock lights, or wouldn't clip in at all and would fall out ...

should i go to Honda for 24/74 bulbs?
Old 04-10-2006, 06:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sometimes they're a tight fit, but u play around with them, they work, if it worked for me it'll work for anybody..

Umm, if ur climate control has a circuit board in it, I don't think it's the same one you're showing in that picture, because I've seen my inside and out and it's all plastic and one switch (2 small pos/neg/ground sockets for the lights).....
Old 04-10-2006, 08:09 PM

Default Re: (Syndacate)

if you take apart the plastic pieces you will find a circuit board in there somewhere. i ended up going to a salvage yard so that i could pull one out of a scrapped civic, got one for free. tried it out... bulbs didn't light up... put in 2 replacement 74's just rammed them in there and they work just find for me. after everything i managed to get it all working finally. the biggest issue was putting back in the HVAC line that changes the climate control from hot to cold that thing can be a mission, and than your temp. might not go all the way to one side.

thanks everyone that helped me out on this post. climate control lights up nice, now i just have to replace a few bulbs on the guage cluster and i'll be fully lit lol.

if an admin sees this they can close this thread, unless someone else wants to keep it open. it was a huge help. THANKS
Old 04-10-2006, 08:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ha i read this cause i have both problems idid not get to the lights yet but there were leaves in my blower motor. nice and quiet now sweet..
Old 04-10-2006, 08:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (hyperforming)

I had the lighting problem with my climate control as well. In my case, the problem was dry solder joints. The wire leads that go to the bulbs had some loose connections, and there was a dry solder joint on the board. Resoldered it and jimmied the wires, and it works fine now. I had to use a bit of a different size bulb, want to say 74. I ended up getting them to squeeze in. Later found that there is a certain bulb (2721 W1.2W) that was for european cars that I found at advanced auto. It was a closer fit to the original bulb in my car. You might try that.
Old 04-10-2006, 08:54 PM

Default Re: (qat727)

appreciate the help, yeah i agree the 74's just dont fit as nice as the originals. from canadian tire i got two 74's for $3.50 (CDN) and that was after calling Honda because they wanted $9.50 for the original ones EACH!

yeah the eg is a beautiful car, but they it seems to have the same faults happen eventually
Old 04-10-2006, 08:56 PM

Default Re: (hyperforming)

only TSB i could find on IN

Old 04-10-2006, 09:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (alpous)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by alpous &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">appreciate the help, yeah i agree the 74's just dont fit as nice as the originals. from canadian tire i got two 74's for $3.50 (CDN) and that was after calling Honda because they wanted $9.50 for the original ones EACH!

yeah the eg is a beautiful car, but they it seems to have the same faults happen eventually </TD></TR></TABLE>

it's that way with all cars... luckily the problems with eg's are mostly small. Watch out for the main relay if it hasn't already died. I'm waiting for my car to start to leak... seems like the only common issue my hatch hasn't experienced to some extent yet.