Notices
Acura TL, RL & ZDX Includes Legend, Vigor and 2001 - 2003 Acura CL

can my CRV tow?

Old 03-31-2006, 07:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default can my CRV tow?

hey guys i am buying a 99 honda crv. i have a integra drag car and i live 20-30 minutes from the track. I wanted to know if i can tow it with the crv using a tow dolly. the car is about 2400 lbs but the rear wheels will be on the ground. I mostly want to know in case i break something i would just tow it home, not use it for every trip, just in case of an emergency. and no this is not the reason for buying the crv
Old 03-31-2006, 08:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: can my CRV tow? (Rob!)

You must be nuts. LOL No, you can't tow with a CRV. In fact I don't know a single Honda "Car" you can realistically tow with and not do damage.

Check the GVWR of the car. You are already close to it, add the weight of the tow dolly tongue and you will pass it.

Add in next the fact the car was never designed to tow and probably doesnt' even list a GCWR (Gross Combined Weight) you are in even worse shape.

Towing your integra home because of something broke could end up towing your CRV home also.
Old 04-02-2006, 06:41 PM

lol i've towed a twin rotex seadoo (boat) with a 00 CRV
Old 04-03-2006, 01:53 AM

Default Re: can my CRV tow? (Turbo(less)DB8)

Take a look at the owners manual for Honda "Cars" or call the dealer. If you have a hitch installed it is an automatic void of warranty. It also specifically says in the owners manuals, all the way from '82 to current, to not tow with Honda Cars. They are not designed for it.
Old 04-03-2006, 06:04 AM

Default Re: can my CRV tow? (gsdreams)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gsdreams &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Take a look at the owners manual for Honda "Cars" or call the dealer. If you have a hitch installed it is an automatic void of warranty. It also specifically says in the owners manuals, all the way from '82 to current, to not tow with Honda Cars. They are not designed for it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Lol that is funny my Legend specifically says it can tow up to a 2000 lbs trailer. Infact back in 1989 when my car was made you could get a trailer hitch installed on it at the dealer and it was an OEM Acura Accessory. As for other Hondas that can tow here is a list:
CRV
Element
Pilot
Passport
Ridgeline
MDX
Vigor
SLX
and I am sure there are others

You should really stop spouting info you know nothing about

As for the CRV everywhere I can find says the vehicle is designed to be able to tow a 3000 lbs trailer as long as the trailer has brakes on it. If the trailer doesnt have brakes the towing capacity is only 1500lbs. With a tow dolly for a short distance I would say sure you could probably tow the integra but I would take it easy when you do because the dolly wont have brakes on it so your stoping distances will suck and if you stop hard it could be possible you could tear up your brakes, as for the motor and the chasis you should be good to go.
Old 04-03-2006, 06:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: can my CRV tow? (CmptchAV6)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CmptchAV6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Lol that is funny my Legend specifically says it can tow up to a 2000 lbs trailer. Infact back in 1989 when my car was made you could get a trailer hitch installed on it at the dealer and it was an OEM Acura Accessory. As for other Hondas that can tow here is a list:
CRV
Element
Pilot
Passport
Ridgeline
MDX
Vigor
SLX
and I am sure there are others

You should really stop spouting info you know nothing about

As for the CRV everywhere I can find says the vehicle is designed to be able to tow a 3000 lbs trailer as long as the trailer has brakes on it. If the trailer doesnt have brakes the towing capacity is only 1500lbs. With a tow dolly for a short distance I would say sure you could probably tow the integra but I would take it easy when you do because the dolly wont have brakes on it so your stoping distances will suck and if you stop hard it could be possible you could tear up your brakes, as for the motor and the chasis you should be good to go. </TD></TR></TABLE>

thanks for the info man, the tow dolly is actually equipped with brakes and i just ordered a trans cooler, do you think ill be fine?
Old 04-03-2006, 07:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If I recall correctly the 1G CR-V's towing capacity is 1,000 lbs. and the 2G's is 1,500. In either case, installing a hitch does not do anything to your warranty as evidenced by the fact that Honda markets hitches for both vehicles.

For the 1G, the Honda hitch is a "sport frame" model -- it does not attach to the rear frame rails. I think I had a Putnam hitch on my mom's 97 & 99 CR-V to lug my waverunner around and it did bolt to the frame rails. Based on towing 800 lbs. of waverunner and trailer around I don't know if I'd want to tow an Integra on a tow dolly very far or very often, though.
Old 04-03-2006, 08:38 AM

A Legend isn't a "Honda" Car in the US. Although Acura is owned by Honda, they are built differently.

Secondly looked at the Accord, CRV, and any other actual "HONDA" name owners manuals in the US. Or simply call a dealer.

And to add, I actually do know quite a bit regarding this. I've also seen the print in the owners manuals.

So before you start spouting off what you don't know feel free to post a CRV manual that states you "Can" tow or another "Honda", not "Acura" cars owner manual that says different.

And BTW, don't bother with SUV or Van items, I didn't say those I specifically said "Car".
Old 04-03-2006, 09:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My friend tows his bike to the track with his S2000. He had no problems and actually got up to 70ish on the highway with it. Who says you need torque to tow?

My mom has an 03 CRV and I remember reading in the manual it had a tow capacity. I'll check what it is when she gets home. I only looked at it cause I was planning to use it to tow my bike to the track whenever I get one.
Old 04-03-2006, 10:41 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gsdreams &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">A Legend isn't a "Honda" Car in the US. Although Acura is owned by Honda, they are built differently.

Secondly looked at the Accord, CRV, and any other actual "HONDA" name owners manuals in the US. Or simply call a dealer.

And to add, I actually do know quite a bit regarding this. I've also seen the print in the owners manuals.

So before you start spouting off what you don't know feel free to post a CRV manual that states you "Can" tow or another "Honda", not "Acura" cars owner manual that says different.

And BTW, don't bother with SUV or Van items, I didn't say those I specifically said "Car".</TD></TR></TABLE>

Dont bother with SUV items huh??? Last time I checked the CRV is an SUV and all info I can find on it says it can tow 1400kg which is roughly 3000lbs if the trailer has brakes and it can tow around 600kg without brakes which is about 1500lbs. As for the Legend not being a honda or being constructed differently do you even know what the legend is based upon. Thats right it is based upon the 3rd gen Accord Chasis and besides it says manufactued by Honda Motor Company on the plastic door sills so once again you loose.

Oh and here is another point where you loose, if the CRV cant tow then why does honda sell a tow kit for it? if you dont belive me here is a link it is 1/2 the way down the page:
http://www.hondaautomotivepart...ERIOR

List of all 1999 honda CRV trailer hitch accessories From the dealership Majestic Honda:
31373 075 1 BALL, TRAILER HITCH (2") NO COLOR 14.00 10.50 Qty:
31375 075 1 BALL, TRAILER HITCH (1-7/8") NO COLOR 14.00 10.50 Qty:
31372 075 1 HITCH, TRAILER NO COLOR 261.00 195.75 Qty:
31377 075C 1 HARDWARE KIT NO COLOR 26.27 19.70 Qty:
31378 075D 1 PLATE KIT NO COLOR 35.35 26.51 Qty:
31379 075E 1 RECEIVER COVER NO COLOR 8.59 6.44 Qty:
31380 075F 1 HARNESS KIT NO COLOR 68.68 51.51 Qty:
31381 076 1 KIT NO COLOR 38.00 28.50 Qty:
31382 076A 1 PIN KIT NO COLOR 14.15 10.61 Qty:
Old 04-03-2006, 10:50 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Rob! &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thanks for the info man, the tow dolly is actually equipped with brakes and i just ordered a trans cooler, do you think ill be fine?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah just make sure when you install the tranny cooler you dont bypass the radiator because then when it is cold outside you could actually overcool the tranny fluid and cause issues with the tranny because it is not running at proper temps.
Old 04-03-2006, 11:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CmptchAV6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Yeah just make sure when you install the tranny cooler you dont bypass the radiator because then when it is cold outside you could actually overcool the tranny fluid and cause issues with the tranny because it is not running at proper temps. </TD></TR></TABLE>
thanks dude, appreciate the help.

round 3 anyone?
Old 04-03-2006, 12:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gsdreams &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So before you start spouting off what you don't know feel free to post a CRV manual that states you "Can" tow or another "Honda", not "Acura" cars owner manual that says different.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

1999 Honda CR-V owner's manual:

2002 Honda CR-V owner's manual:

You can view copies of the vast majority of 1990-2006 Honda & Acura owner's manuals at http://techinfo.honda.com by clicking on the "Owners Manuals" link on the left. You'll find that most of the vehicles "can" tow a trailer, even if it's a light one.
Old 04-03-2006, 08:42 PM

Default Re: can my CRV tow? (DaiJekBok)

nice site thanks for the link. I dont know why the sites I was finding were so off like that but hey for short distances I dont see anything wrong with towing a car on a dolly since it is much different than towing a trailer due to weight distribution aerodynamics and some other stuff. As long as you dont do it often you should be fine, I towed a nissan maxima with a tow rope in my 2003 civic si I had and it did fine so you should be fine doing it with a CRV
Old 04-05-2006, 02:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Guys last year when we where coming home from our race at Buttion williowe, I saw a 89-90 Civic hatch back towing a boat. The boat must of been at least 20footer. I thought the guy was crasy to do this with a Civic, but when I saw him at the gas station he told me that he had an H22 under the hood.
Old 04-06-2006, 06:52 AM

Default Re: (ITAcelica)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ITAcelica &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Guys last year when we where coming home from our race at Buttion williowe, I saw a 89-90 Civic hatch back towing a boat. The boat must of been at least 20footer. I thought the guy was crasy to do this with a Civic, but when I saw him at the gas station he told me that he had an H22 under the hood. </TD></TR></TABLE>

The guy is still crazy there is no way a vehicle that weighs less than 2500lbs can control a boat that weighs in probably around 5000lbs. Any emergency like situation and the boat would push the civic wherever it wanted it to go. Kinda like an adult pushing a 5 yr old around.
Old 04-08-2006, 06:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gsdreams &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">A Legend isn't a "Honda" Car in the US. Although Acura is owned by Honda, they are built differently.

</TD></TR></TABLE>
How are they built differently? There is a Acura model in Canada, that is exactly like the civic. The JDM Integras may look different, but are the same where it counts. The Acura TSX is the same as the Euro, and Japanese Accord, only with A's where the H's are.
Old 04-08-2006, 07:19 PM

Default Re: can my CRV tow? (The G-Man)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by The G-Man &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How are they built differently? There is a Acura model in Canada, that is exactly like the civic. The JDM Integras may look different, but are the same where it counts. The Acura TSX is the same as the Euro, and Japanese Accord, only with A's where the H's are.</TD></TR></TABLE>

What is really funny is he tells me not to bother with SUV or Van items that he specifically said "car items but the CRV is an SUV be it car based or not.
Old 04-10-2006, 03:21 PM

just put a trans cooler on and maybe a temp guage for your tranny and you will be just fine.
Old 04-10-2006, 05:57 PM

Default Re: can my CRV tow? (alpine_hikr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by alpine_hikr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">just put a trans cooler on and maybe a temp guage for your tranny and you will be just fine.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Tranny cooler is a must for all autos
Old 04-11-2006, 03:52 AM

Buy a cheap truck that can tow over 2k lbs.

Here are some suggestions.
JEEP Cherokee
Blazer
Suburban
Dodge truck

Old 04-11-2006, 02:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (CmptchAV6)

The guy is still crazy there is no way a vehicle that weighs less than 2500lbs can control a boat that weighs in probably around 5000lbs. Any emergency like situation and the boat would push the civic wherever it wanted it to go. Kinda like an adult pushing a 5 yr old around.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ya thats why he was all over the freeway at like 50 MPH. His boat was about my old boat size and its weight was 2875lb with a trailer. All I know is you must be crazy to do somthing like that.
Old 11-14-2010, 09:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: can my CRV tow?

I towed 1000 LBS easy with my CRX... (Had a B17 and big brakes... no problems at all)
(still faster then a stock crx too)

but now i have that b17 in my crv... and looking for a hitch.. they have 2000 and 3500 lbs versions... still deciding which hitch i'll get...
Old 11-14-2010, 09:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ITAcelica

The guy is still crazy there is no way a vehicle that weighs less than 2500lbs can control a boat that weighs in probably around 5000lbs. Any emergency like situation and the boat would push the civic wherever it wanted it to go. Kinda like an adult pushing a 5 yr old around.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ya thats why he was all over the freeway at like 50 MPH. His boat was about my old boat size and its weight was 2875lb with a trailer. All I know is you must be crazy to do somthing like that.
Think about a Big Rig..

the trailer out weights the rig 3 to 10 times.. (think about the Double 53 foot trailers and one rig)
Old 11-26-2010, 06:55 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by crxsirvtec
Think about a Big Rig..

the trailer out weights the rig 3 to 10 times.. (think about the Double 53 foot trailers and one rig)
Your logic is flawed. Transport trailers have brakes on every axle. Also weight distribution is extremely good on a transport, all the weight is over the 2 rear axles, transports actually require almost as much room to get stopped without a trailer due to how little weight is over the rear wheels without one. Tow dollys don't normally have brakes at all. You can tow a car with a bicycle, but good luck ever getting it stopped.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: can my CRV tow?