Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Power windows always getting off track

Old 03-06-2006, 02:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power windows always getting off track

Almost every month or so 1 of my windows always get's off track. my passenger window will roll part way down and starts going sideways so i got to push the button for it to go up for a sec then push it back down. After 2 or 3 times it finally goes all the way down. and then my driver side window rolls down and up perfectly but out of no where it goes off track. happened to me at work and i had to have someone come pick up my car, i wasnt gonna leave the car outside with the window half down when i worked all the way to 12:00am. how can i fix this problem without always having to take apart my door panel and putting it back on track??? i dont wanna have to worry about it and yes i could just leave them up but i cant cruise with the windows up so i wanna get this fixed, any help?
Old 03-19-2006, 04:43 PM

Default Re: Power windows always getting off track (central_driver)

Bump for some answer for you .. my power windows suck too
Old 03-19-2006, 05:08 PM

Default Re: Power windows always getting off track (VTEC98Civ)

Need a new window regulator.
Old 03-19-2006, 06:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i also have this same problem on my 96 civic coupe
Old 03-19-2006, 09:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you might not need a new regulator just yet. go and get some silicon lubricant spray and lube up those rubber tracks. Sometimes it falls off because it doesn't slide well enough...it helps with the slow windows too...
Old 03-19-2006, 10:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i have the same problem on my 96ex
i fixed one time but now i dont lower the window at all.
Old 03-20-2006, 04:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Land of the Hillbillies and Shotguns, Ontario, Canada
Default Re: (Ruben19)

I had this problem, all i did was lubricate it with WD-40 on the front and rear window tracks. When my window fell out the track i had to take off the door panel (pop speaker panel, 3 screws not speaker screws, door handle and P/W switch screw, and gently pull up and out door panel) There will be a 10mm nut, loosen it off, slide the window back in the track and tighten! Vioala!!!
Old 03-20-2006, 06:34 AM

in response to rayz_SI

i attempted doing this the othermorning and i was very scared i had aftermarket power door lock regulators installed after i took the screw on the door handle and was ready to put the panel it looked like i was gonna break the metal wire attached to the handle, how do i go about doing this correctly i fiddled with it for quite awhile (i have a 93 del sol if theres something thats different)
Old 03-20-2006, 06:41 AM

very easy. just grease up the metal tracks on the 96-98 coupes. I had that same problem and have been probel free since i greased it about 2 yrs ago. The metal tracks seem to rust because of water.
Old 03-20-2006, 10:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i used wd-40 and still doing the same ****
Old 03-20-2006, 06:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (cdizzle)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cdizzle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">in response to rayz_SI

i attempted doing this the othermorning and i was very scared i had aftermarket power door lock regulators installed after i took the screw on the door handle and was ready to put the panel it looked like i was gonna break the metal wire attached to the handle, how do i go about doing this correctly i fiddled with it for quite awhile (i have a 93 del sol if theres something thats different)</TD></TR></TABLE>

That metal wire attatched to the handle should be your door lock rod? First off, as far as I know you should be removing the door handle trim plate BEFORE you take the door panel off. There should be two things connected to the door handle trim: the door lock rod, and the power doorlock switch harness plus. You have to manuver out the handle trim out from the handle, then disconnect the switch plug. The door lock rod should automaticaly disconnnect from the trim plate while you are pulling it off. Secondly, the window switch panel after removing the screw gently pull it upward and out, then disconnect the switch plug wires. PPop the speaker panel off then remove three screws holding the door pnael (NOT THE SPEAKER! it stays in the door!) Genlty yet formly tug on the bootom, working to the top of the door panel. You may haveto remove the sideview mirror trim (triangular plate) Especially if a 96-00 EX SI with tweeter but no need to disconnect the tweeter.

Find thhe 2 number 10mm bolts, depending on which side of the glass is out loosen the bolt, slide the glass in and tighten the bolt. Try not to put too much tension on glass or it may be hard on the PW motor, you can connect your PW switch and see how it operates up and down till you are satisfied. Re-assembly is reverse.
Old 03-20-2006, 06:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Rayz_Si)

Yeah I also greased up the window rails with WD-40. What i think is even better is Silicone grease, especially for you power sunroofs not to forget about that!
Old 03-20-2006, 08:43 PM

wd 40 does not work, you need to use silicon lubricant spray.
Old 03-21-2006, 03:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (808_si)

Wd-40 really did work, but i should have used silicone spray since it does not leave an oily residue. Wd-40 was all I had, all the stores were closed and my window was stuck down on a -20 C day. I'd say Silicone spray would be the best thing to use, that's what we used at the Toyota DealerAuto Service.
Old 03-21-2006, 07:44 AM

Awesome info guys thanks for the help
Old 03-21-2006, 09:18 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Rayz_Si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Wd-40 really did work, but i should have used silicone spray since it does not leave an oily residue. Wd-40 was all I had, all the stores were closed and my window was stuck down on a -20 C day. I'd say Silicone spray would be the best thing to use, that's what we used at the Toyota DealerAuto Service. </TD></TR></TABLE>

wd40 will work for a little bit, but then it starts to collect dirt and make it worse...
Old 03-21-2006, 05:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (808_si)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 808_si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

wd40 will work for a little bit, but then it starts to collect dirt and make it worse...</TD></TR></TABLE>

OOOwww , now i know better for next time! It's good to have a can of silicone spray in the garage.
Old 03-21-2006, 06:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

silicone lubricant spray works the best...one time i used wd-40...and i had just finished putting the door panel on..and the damn window came off! it sucked, so just get the good stuff
Old 03-21-2006, 07:42 PM

yea i had the same prob wit my 97 ek pass window used like 2 cans of silicon spray has gone off track yet...
Old 03-21-2006, 08:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

don't slam your doors, it will cause parts of the regulator to break...like little plastic pieces. Check those refulators thought thats prolly your problem
Old 03-25-2006, 04:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (hbracer93)

exactly DONT SLAM YOUR DOORS!!! baby you cars guys with every move. This is what causing the window to fall offf track in some cases
Old 04-01-2006, 04:11 PM

Default Re: Power windows always getting off track (central_driver)

dunno if anybody said this allready but i had the same problem with my 2000 si and i even bought 2 window regulators for nothing justmake sure the window is on the track then go buy "liquid silicon" and just spray it to the windo track roll the window up and down a few times to make sure the liquid gets all over.
Old 04-04-2006, 07:43 AM

Where can I get this silicone spray you guys r speaking so highly about, I've tryed Auto Zone, Pep Boys , Advanced Auto , and still cant find it??
Old 04-04-2006, 08:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (VTEC98Civ)

Wet or dry Silicone spray can be found at any one of those places, look a little harder or ask someone.

Unless you're removing the panel you'll have to use the wet type silicone. If you're removing the panel then clean out the entire track and lube with dry silicone.

For those who don't know about the dry silicone... it's the same thing but leaves less residue and collects less dirt which is ultimately better...
Old 04-04-2006, 11:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

its hard to tell people not to slam your door f its your passenger side. but i havent had a problem sinc ei just dont roll it all the way down. as long as you can see 1inch of the passenger and driver side window, theres no problem

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Power windows always getting off track