Notices
All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

All motor D16Y7?

Old 03-21-2006, 09:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default All motor D16Y7?

Hey everyone i wanted to build my D16Y7 into a fast all motor engine and i was wondering what u think i should put into it and wat else i should do? Thanks for the help
Old 03-21-2006, 09:47 PM

Default Re: All motor D16Y7? (batmanEK)

first of all you got to tell us wat kind of driving are you going to do. wat kind of power do you want. whats your budget.
well with that motor to make some good power out of it with it going to be NA um us ITB. and just to make you money worth it with my 2 cents i would just go turbo. same amount of money being stock turbo and NA
Old 03-22-2006, 12:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

all depends on what you want to do. Drag, road race, autox. daily driving etc.
Theres things you can do to make it faster for road race, autox, and more extreme modifications for drag and daily driving. gotta know how far you want to take it.
Old 03-22-2006, 08:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 37 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Re: All motor D16Y7? (exospeedAMcrx)

Lose youre transmission first.

Here is a "quick" story.

96 DX hatch, no interior from b pillars back, 5-lug (weight adder)
bone stock engine
205/50/15 Azenis
Bristol weekly drags
17.7@74 was my best time

Same setup, put interior back in
Action 1MD clutch, Fidanza 7lb flywheel, no exhaust from manifold back
17.1@75.4

Now I have a EX exhaust manifold with no exhaust, engine still stock and 6k on oil change (supertech oil), stock 1/2, ZC 3rd, stock 4/5, SRR 4.71 FD
From a 3rd gear roll I pull on my friends 99 EX coupe (17's, i/h/e B18B) by a car. He reels me in in 4th and passes me.

From a 2nd gear roll I pull on him by 4-5 cars by 4th gear, hit 4th and he reels me in slowly.

From a stop I have 6-7 cars on him by 4th gear, we let off.

Gearing really wakens the Y7 up. Once I get my EX 1/2, 5 and ZC 4th in, I'll post a vid of it.
Old 03-22-2006, 10:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by batmanEK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">D16Y7 into a fast all motor engine</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm not sure these two can reference each other in the same sentence.

Not necessarily an answer to your question, but my opinion follows:
Unless you've already had your fun with various B series motors, boost, etc. I think it's a waste of time. You're gonna drop big bucks on something that may or may not keep up with mama's minivan (almost certainly not on the highway). And it will never be "legitimately" fast in it's own right. So you manage to squeeze an extra 30 whp out of the motor, get better gearing, gut the crap out of the car so it's a miserable thing to drive around in, and you still get blown away by most family sedans.

If you're not just "looking for a different sort of challenge", the only reasonable thing to do for power on a d16 is boost.
Old 03-22-2006, 11:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: All motor D16Y7? (fsp31)

Maybe he doesn't want to be faster than a Cadillac DeVille. He might just want to be a second faster than he is right now.
Old 03-22-2006, 12:48 PM

Default Re: All motor D16Y7?

I wanted to do some road racing so i guess thats what i would want to build the motor for and the reason i want to stay with the D16 is cuz i heard its illegal to put in any other engine and if im wrong please let me know and ill just swap in a B16 from a Si and build it up. and my budget will be around 3-4K
Old 03-22-2006, 03:18 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fsp31 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I'm not sure these two can reference each other in the same sentence.

Not necessarily an answer to your question, but my opinion follows:
Unless you've already had your fun with various B series motors, boost, etc. I think it's a waste of time. You're gonna drop big bucks on something that may or may not keep up with mama's minivan (almost certainly not on the highway). And it will never be "legitimately" fast in it's own right. So you manage to squeeze an extra 30 whp out of the motor, get better gearing, gut the crap out of the car so it's a miserable thing to drive around in, and you still get blown away by most family sedans.

If you're not just "looking for a different sort of challenge", the only reasonable thing to do for power on a d16 is boost.</TD></TR></TABLE>

extra 30 hp? theres all motor d's out there running like 180 hp with 130+ tq. now of course thats with 3-4 grand in the engine with a hell of a lot of machining. no one has any faith in the d series. sure its easier to just swap. but maybe he wants a challenge. maybe he wants the expierince of building a motor rather than just swapping
Old 03-22-2006, 03:21 PM

with 3-4 k you can get pretty decent numbers out of that engine. you can go aftermarket high comp pistons and swap other d series pistons in. heres a good link for d series all motor
http://www.d-series.org/forums...21761
Old 03-22-2006, 05:01 PM

Default Re: All motor D16Y7? (Civicse)

alot of people on d-series are like 165 and up. And on top of that, stock honda pistons just like your b-series guys and the h guys with the type s pistons
Old 03-22-2006, 07:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: All motor D16Y7? (Civicse)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Civicse &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
theres all motor d's out there running like 180 hp with 130+ tq. now of course thats with 3-4 grand in the engine with a hell of a lot of machining. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Not to mention experience and expertise, usually gained through building a variety of other engines... I covered all that in my post, including the idea that some people just want a challenge. No offense but people who come on H-T looking for build advise typically don't have that kind of background. Not that I have it either... I just don't want him to waste money and be disappointed with the results.

Yeah, there are all motor d's making north of 150 whp, but they're not exactly falling out of trees around here. There's a reason for that, and it's not because nobody gives them a chance. Personally, I would have to have a crazy amount of disposable income laying around to consider stuffing $4k into a D series motor (not to mention that crap tranny) hoping for the same power levels I could get from a stock $4k Type R swap.

I played the d series game. First NA for about a year... Said "screw this" after a vtec head + tranny swap, and boosted it with a homemade turbo kit. Best decision I ever made and a combo I highly recommend. It's the allmotor route with a D that I think is a bad idea, but like I said, that's my opinion.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by batmanEK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I wanted to do some road racing so i guess thats what i would want to build the motor for and the reason i want to stay with the D16 is cuz i heard its illegal to put in any other engine</TD></TR></TABLE>

Depends on the series and the class. If you have in mind which one you want to race in, I'd ask specifically about it over on the RR/Autox forum. Although, the rules should clearly state what you're allowed to run for a particular chassis.
Old 03-22-2006, 07:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I do HPDE's with my car. Engine is bone stock other than the open Y8 exhaust manifold.
Old 03-22-2006, 08:59 PM

Default Re: (Aquafina)

like i said:

fully build D16z6:
switch the crank with a bigger oem one (i forgot which)
oem bottom end if you want.
fully build head with cams,springs,retainers,and port & polish
THE BIG PART IS "ITB" ive seen big power out of those. highest 200whp. it was street tuned to.

or just go TURBO with the D16z6
Old 03-22-2006, 09:50 PM

Default Re: (saver)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fsp31 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Not to mention experience and expertise, usually gained through building a variety of other engines... I covered all that in my post, including the idea that some people just want a challenge. No offense but people who come on H-T looking for build advise typically don't have that kind of background. Not that I have it either... I just don't want him to waste money and be disappointed with the results.

Yeah, there are all motor d's making north of 150 whp, but they're not exactly falling out of trees around here. There's a reason for that, and it's not because nobody gives them a chance. Personally, I would have to have a crazy amount of disposable income laying around to consider stuffing $4k into a D series motor (not to mention that crap tranny) hoping for the same power levels I could get from a stock $4k Type R swap.

I played the d series game. First NA for about a year... Said "screw this" after a vtec head + tranny swap, and boosted it with a homemade turbo kit. Best decision I ever made and a combo I highly recommend. It's the allmotor route with a D that I think is a bad idea, but like I said, that's my opinion.

Depends on the series and the class. If you have in mind which one you want to race in, I'd ask specifically about it over on the RR/Autox forum. Although, the rules should clearly state what you're allowed to run for a particular chassis.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i dunno about 4k, i mean honestly. I am in the middle of building a d and i haven't spent nearly 4k including the car and i got soe nice stuff. i mean i can understand where that money could go quick, but the thing that i see moeny for is the head work/cam. the tranny's are poorly geared, but can handle alot of power. 150 hp is nothing on any honda motor.
Old 03-24-2006, 10:24 PM

Default Re: All motor D16Y7?

Italked to a few of my friends about building my engine and they said that you could change the head on the D16Y7 to the Y8 head and the manifold and id get VTEC. First i wanted to now if thats right and that if it is what manifold would i have to change and how much do u think this would help me? Thanks
Old 03-24-2006, 10:33 PM

it is right and, u will get v-tec with a head swap, ecu swap and wiring in v-tec. You may havea little trouble hunting down a head it may take a month or so and it will be about 350 for everything
Old 03-25-2006, 12:05 AM

Default Re: All motor D16Y7? (blackhat1)

what about the manifold tho would i need a diff. one and if yes which
Old 03-25-2006, 01:01 AM

i think you will get barly any diffrence in cfm with the Y8 IM.
Old 03-25-2006, 02:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by batmanEK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Italked to a few of my friends about building my engine and they said that you could change the head on the D16Y7 to the Y8 head and the manifold and id get VTEC. First i wanted to now if thats right and that if it is what manifold would i have to change and how much do u think this would help me? Thanks</TD></TR></TABLE>

It's a very easy swap. Dunno about the manifold, but IMO the Y8 is a much better design and easier to work with. However, if you're set on going this route you'll be much better served swapping out the tranny. With that Y7 tranny on there you'll be doing 35 mph in first gear before you hit VTEC!
Old 03-25-2006, 09:41 PM

what tranny would u recommend
Old 03-25-2006, 10:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Y8. or a 4.7+ final drive.
Old 03-26-2006, 07:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: All motor D16Y7? (Aquafina)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Aquafina &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Y8. or a 4.7+ final drive.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Gains from swapping to a Y8 tranny will be far more significant than the head swap.
Old 04-02-2006, 06:57 PM

i also have a D16y7, and am thinking of adding a little power here and there. im a noob to the tuner scene, so i dont know much. for now im gonna go for the bolt ons, and then later ill start the heavy stuff. After reading some comments here and there, you guys keep sayin that the y7 trans isnt good, and the y8 trans is better. according to a service manual, most cars with the y7 and the y8 had the s40 trans, the one you are saying to change. when you say to change to the y8 trans are you talking about the s4c? this trans came on the 99 coupes, and the 00 coupes and sedans. also, do you think a noob can do a head swap? i was thinkin about findin a y8 head. thanks.

Modified by brandnewlie17 at 12:25 AM 4/3/2006
Old 04-02-2006, 08:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: All motor D16Y7? (brandnewlie17)

Everyone is a n00b at some point.

My cherry popper was a 5-lug install then a trans build.
Old 04-10-2006, 08:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: All motor D16Y7? (brandnewlie17)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by brandnewlie17 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">when you say to change to the y8 trans are you talking about the s4c? this trans came on the 99 coupes, and the 00 coupes and sedans. </TD></TR></TABLE>

That's the one.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by brandnewlie17 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">also, do you think a noob can do a head swap? i was thinkin about findin a y8 head. thanks.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

It's not hard at all. The most difficult part, IMO is putting the timing belt back on and not getting off by a tooth (which still isn't that hard). No need to remove cams or anything like on a DOHC. Just get a new gasket and bolt the head down to the right specs.

Then you have to wire in the VTEC solenoid, but that's very easy too if you have an EX ECU.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: All motor D16Y7?