Notices

Inline 6 cylinder turbo header pictures

Old 02-23-2006, 02:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Inline 6 cylinder turbo header pictures

nissan 280z w/ gt35r turbo. on this one side of the motor i had to deal with: intake manifold, fuel filter, fuel lines, a/c, a/c lines, brake lines, steering rack, downpipe, coolant lines, turbo oil lines, wastegate, dumptube, intercooler piping, etc.

it was a real pain in the *** to get everything to psyically fit. still need to finish welding to the flange, clean it up a bit, and then off the v-band its going to 90 into the turbo...and straight off the 90 is where the wastegate is going to go, so there shouldnt be any boost controll issues. i learned alot doing this for sure. i know im going to spend more time cleaning and prepping the metal next time, there is a slight brown haze around some of the welds which isnt from the weld its self...but from cutting and beltsanding. i know to spend more time adressing that next time.

i swear people were watching me make this, because EVERY TIME i started doing anything...the phone would ring...i got pissed off and quit working on it and just came back here after hours and did it in my "spare" time. obviously took a good amount of time. it was like clockwork....every single time i walked to the car the phone instantly rang. fred was laughing his *** off at me.

big thanks to Casey at burns for the collectors and materials. its all 16g 321 stainless. this is my first time using one of the slip fit collectors. and the 3-3 -2-1 design that casey recamended worked out great. it was a little longer than i expected it to be...and i was nervous with space at first....but it all ended up fitting really well. cylinder 1 is a little longer and cylinder 6 is a little shorter..but there really wasnt any other way to do it with the space i had.

ignore all of the other crap in the engine bay...im pretty much completely redoing a set up that somebody else did on the car that didnt work out so hot.
Old 02-23-2006, 03:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks great. The non-crossflow head threw me off for a second lol.
Old 02-23-2006, 03:30 PM

That seems like a horrible engine design. It would seem that the exhaust manifold/header would cause incoming air to heat before it enters the engine.
Old 02-23-2006, 03:36 PM

Default Re: (onemanlan)

Not if the air is moving fast enough.
Old 02-23-2006, 03:59 PM

Default Re: (backpurge)

Even from the risidual heat that will seep up into/onto the intake mani which heats it as air passes through it?

Even though its just a thought, I'm by no means and expert any anything engine related. Just an amature with an observation.

Good fab work though. That thing is crazy.
Old 02-23-2006, 04:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Joe manifold looks sick. Now get that car out of the shop
Old 02-23-2006, 04:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (vr6chris)

Convection, radiation, and conduction. It has two of the three ways to translate heat

Good Job Joe Looks hot.
Old 02-23-2006, 04:41 PM
OG Fabricator

that is a lot of work. it looks really good. how do you like using the slip fits? i've always been curious about them myself. are you going to add any sort of bracing?
Old 02-23-2006, 05:11 PM

Default Re: Inline 6 cylinder turbo header pictures (Turbo-charged)

Nice work, you can tell you put alot of time into it. I hope there weren't any warping problems with a flange that long! Again, Nice work.
Old 02-23-2006, 09:29 PM

wow looks a lot like my 4.0 cherokee's engine. i should turbo my jeep lol
good work!
Old 02-23-2006, 10:10 PM
Good, Bad…I'm the one with the gun

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by onemanlan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">That seems like a horrible engine design. It would seem that the exhaust manifold/header would cause incoming air to heat before it enters the engine.</TD></TR></TABLE>
the L28 can push out more horsepower and torque than any high strung honda engine.
despite the non-crossflow design.
i bet an LD28 stroker with this header and a GT35 turbo will push a nice 600-700HP with over 600lbs of torque. what car is this in? a ZX or a Z?
that header looks amazing, out of curiousity, how much would one of those cost?
i would love to have that on my 280ZXT
Old 02-24-2006, 04:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Ash J. Williams)

thanks guys.....sometimes it can make you nervous posting things in this forum, because you can come back and wish you didnt ever make a post lol!

i like the slip fits a lot. its a little trickey at first because you have a lot of things that can move and pivot, especially since this collector is 3 collectors in one, so you have to be very careful that nothing moves when you dont want it to. once you get the hang of it, or get a coupe cylinders in place and it stops pivoting...its real nice. i still havnt figured out how some of the sch40 collectors some of the guys on here are making....how they weld the tubes to the collector its self on some of the designs....it just doesnt look like the torch will fit....this obviously eliminates any problems like that.

yes once i mount the turbo in there i am giong to support the turbo with a brace....hopefully tony or casey will make sure i do it properly i had the turbo braced for mock up...but had to move it a little bit...there is actually a good location for a brace to bolt to the block

this motor aparently has all of the stroker crank and crower rods and wiseco pistons and aparently a ported head and a turbo cam. we will see i guess. there is a long long story to go with this car and why its been here so long. unfortunatly that story involves me getting screwed pretty hard and doing all of this work for free practially.

oh a price for this....i have no idea. withall of the collectors, vbands, flanges, 321 materials etc.....the materials add up really fast. and then just look at it and use your imagination on how much time it took! most shops charge between 75 and 100 an hour. i hope i atleast get a couple dollars for my time haha
Old 02-24-2006, 04:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Looks killer Joe
Old 02-24-2006, 05:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (TurboElements.com)

lookin good
Old 02-24-2006, 06:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Dragline)

nice work. Looks like same setup as the dodge 2.2 and 2.5 and VW weird setup but ya got to work with what ya got.

Nice manifold man
Old 02-24-2006, 07:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JDMCRX)

Is that a 12-cylinder?
Old 02-24-2006, 08:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

no, those are the intake ports. its not a cross flow head
Old 02-24-2006, 02:19 PM

Default Re: (vr6chris)

Some minor cheating of the bends but nothing to cry about, esp with the space youve been given to work in. Good job
Old 02-25-2006, 07:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (fulldragcrx)

i assume your talking about cylinder #5......unfortunatly there wasnt any other way to do it right there! if it went any more to the left it would be impossible to put a nut on it.

to add to how much of a pain in the *** this thing is.....you cant put the exhaust manifold on and then the intake manifold on........you have to but them both on at the same time because they share some of the studds for both intake and exhaust manifolds.....tightenting this thing down is going to be a challange, so i tried my best to keep that in mind while building this contraption!
Old 02-25-2006, 08:20 PM

Default Re: (Turbo-charged)

looks good!
Old 02-25-2006, 11:45 PM

nice work joe!
Old 02-27-2006, 02:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I think I just had a kid!!!!

Very sex L series manifold. Kinda reminds me of the electromotive car built for IMSA GTO back in the early 80s.

Ill try and get a pic of the top mount manifold a Pratt & Whitney engineer built back in the late 80s for the car we're building for my father.
Old 02-27-2006, 04:34 PM

Hey Turbo-charged, your work has made it to the Z community! I lurk there a lot: http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=108563
chris
Old 02-28-2006, 04:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (NCchris)

haha thanks for the link. i got a good laugh that they said it was copy of something else! it probably would have saved me a lot of time if i would have coppied somebody else!
Old 02-28-2006, 04:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Turbo-charged &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">haha thanks for the link. i got a good laugh that they said it was copy of something else! it probably would have saved me a lot of time if i would have coppied somebody else!</TD></TR></TABLE>
of course u copied it...full-race did it first!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Inline 6 cylinder turbo header pictures