Notices
Acura RSX DC5 & Honda Civic EP3 Includes DC5 Integra Type R & 5dr Civic hatchback
Old 03-31-2015, 04:28 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Specifications and General Overview
Print Wikipost

Maintenance schedule for 2006 Civic?

Old 02-12-2006, 03:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maintenance schedule for 2006 Civic?

Looked on Honda's web site and didn't find it. I'm looking for the regular / severe schedule maintenance for the 2006 Civic. Debating if I want an 06 or EK.....

Insurance on the 06 is $10 more per 6/mths over an EK

The bay is really tight on the 2006's so I want to see what and when things need to be replaced. Are all the 06 motors using timing chains now?

Looking at getting an 06 LX coupe
Old 02-12-2006, 04:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Maintenance schedule for 2006 Civic? (Hybrid93Hatch)

honda now uses the onboard maintenance minder system that's built into the dash to tell you when to take your car for service.

it determine based your driving habit, engine workload, etc...

how often you change your oil, airfilter, plugs & wires, timing chain, etc... is based all on your driving. Some people reported 8,000 miles oil change and some reported 6,000.
Old 02-13-2006, 04:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Maintenance schedule for 2006 Civic? (kroze)

What if I want to do the maintenance myself? Does it flash a maintenance required light or scroll the text across the cluster with what should be done? Does the dealer have to reset the "maintenance minder systerm"??

Don't know how I feel about this. I would like to have an idea of what needs to be done so I can have funds available / parts ordered

Nothing in the owners manual?

Old 02-13-2006, 01:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kroze &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">honda now uses the onboard maintenance minder system that's built into the dash to tell you when to take your car for service.

it determine based your driving habit, engine workload, etc...

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Unless they've made it a "smart" reminder in 06, as far as I know, it's based purely on mileage alone. It starts to flash some 8,000 miles since the last time it was reset and glows steady as you near 10,000 miles, the manual's indicated oil change interval. It is re-setable by holding the trip odometer reset button in and keying the ignition switch to 'on'. Hold until the light goes out.

Generally... spark plugs @ 100k (may want to use 50k instead)
Oil change @ 10k (may want to use 5k)
Timing chain... no reccomended change interval
Air filter @ 30K

IMO, a lot of the 30k, 60k, etc services are basically "inspections". A lot of money for not a lot of parts...just labor.
Old 02-13-2006, 01:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Maintenance schedule for 2006 Civic? (Perfectionist)

I guess still 60k on the valve adjustments? Next time I am at Honda I'm going to ask about this and also RTFM
Old 02-13-2006, 02:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Newer manuals state valve adjustments only when they start to get noisey.
This doesn't address a too tight condition, however.
Old 02-13-2006, 04:37 PM

your car most likely came with a manual. look through it
Old 02-13-2006, 05:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Perfectionist &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Newer manuals state valve adjustments only when they start to get noisey.
This doesn't address a too tight condition, however.</TD></TR></TABLE>

thats an issue that honda has dealt with in the past with cr-v b20s valve lash being too tight and the ex valve receding into the head.

so adjusting them when they get noisy is not a good idea, because sometimes they never get noisy. My rule of thumb is that if you can hear them a little their ok, if you cant when the motor is cold then you also need to adjust them.

make sense?
Old 02-13-2006, 07:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Perfectionist &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Unless they've made it a "smart" reminder in 06, as far as I know, it's based purely on mileage alone. It starts to flash some 8,000 miles since the last time it was reset and glows steady as you near 10,000 miles, the manual's indicated oil change interval. It is re-setable by holding the trip odometer reset button in and keying the ignition switch to 'on'. Hold until the light goes out.
.</TD></TR></TABLE>

If it's based on pure milage alone, shouldn't your next oil change @ 16,000 miles? if it's based on milage alone, that means that everyone will get the same notice to change their oil at the same milage, but that hasn't happen yet because everyone reported different milage ranging from 5,000 miles to 8,000 miles oil changes.

again, it's based on a lot of variations that the computer monitor.
Old 02-13-2006, 07:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hybrid93Hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What if I want to do the maintenance myself? Does it flash a maintenance required light or scroll the text across the cluster with what should be done? Does the dealer have to reset the "maintenance minder systerm"??

Don't know how I feel about this. I would like to have an idea of what needs to be done so I can have funds available / parts ordered
Nothing in the owners manual?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

You can do the maintenance yourself if you want. The dash would just flash up a code and based on what it is by checking on the manual, you'll know what need to be change/replace. You can reset the maintenance minder if you do the work yourself, no dealer required.
Old 02-14-2006, 07:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (aznboysrfr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by aznboysrfr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">your car most likely came with a manual. look through it</TD></TR></TABLE>

You should learn to comprehend what someone stated

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hybrid93Hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Debating if I want an 06 or EK.....
</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 02-14-2006, 02:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kroze &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

If it's based on pure milage alone, shouldn't your next oil change @ 16,000 miles? if it's based on milage alone, that means that everyone will get the same notice to change their oil at the same milage, but that hasn't happen yet because everyone reported different milage ranging from 5,000 miles to 8,000 miles oil changes.

again, it's based on a lot of variations that the computer monitor. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Um... no. It's only dumb reminder based on mileage since the last time it was reset. It is totaly ignorant of how hard you drive your car or anything else. How often you change your oil is up to you. The book specs 10k, 5k for severe driving conditions. The maintenance indicator is set up for 10k. Read your owner's manual if you have any questions about how it works and what it means. I'm done here.