See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

95 Accord SRS light light on even after reset

Old 11-02-2005, 06:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 Accord SRS light light on even after reset

RE: 1995 Accord EX, 132K miles,

I tried to reset the SRS light but it failed to extinguish. The light failed to extinguish at any time during the reset procedure. I likely have a real problem with the SRS system. It appears that most people get away with a simple SRS reset.

Can anyone provide instructions on continuing the troubleshooting? What should I check next? Wordy and detailed intructions would be very appreciated. Have a good one.
Old 11-02-2005, 08:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: 95 Accord SRS light light on even after reset (PaulRi)

how did u reset the lite ??? if u did it properly and lite is still on, u need to read the code u migth have other issues ,,,
Old 11-02-2005, 08:48 PM

Default Re: 95 Accord SRS light light on even after reset (deserthonda)

I reset the SRS light by following the following procedure I obtained online:

1. Turn off ignition
2. Connect the SCS service connector to the 2pin wire you take out of the drivers fuse box and is now hanging from a thicker harness.
3. Turn on ignition
4. SRS light comes on for 6 sec and then goes off. Before it has been off 4 sec, Remove the SCS connector.
5.SRS light turns on again. Reconnect the SCS service connector withen 4 sec of light coming on
6. Light goes off, remove connector witeh 4 sec after light went off.
7. SRS light blibks 2 times telling you the memory is erased.
8. Turn ignition off.

In my case, the SRS light never blinked and is still present. I assume my problem is still present.

How do I pull the SRS code? I've pulled the ECU codes myself before. Is the SRS code checked and displayed using the same method as the ECU codes (blinking check engine light)? Or is there another method? If so, could you please provide the method? Thanks a lot.

Old 11-03-2005, 07:35 AM

I pulled the ECU the code this morning: The check engine light stayed on steady without going out. Does this mean anything? Thanks.
Old 11-06-2005, 09:46 AM

Ok, my SRS fails to clear upon reset attempts. Upon further research, I read that the SRS DTC could not be pulled from a 94 Accord (Mine is a 95), and that the dealership or trained mechanic should be consulted to figure out the cause of the problem. I've tried to pull the SRS DTC but was unsuccessful. I'm assuming the SRS DTCs cannot be pulled on a 95 either. Here's my reference: http://autorepair.about.com/li...e.htm

Can anyone shed any more advice.
Old 11-06-2005, 10:25 AM
0x5359-0055

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

94 and 95 models were identical.... same OBD 1 setup
Old 11-06-2005, 10:35 AM

Default Re: 95 Accord SRS light light on even after reset (Vt4cPwn35)

Thanks, Vt4cPwn35.

I'm curious to what the probability is of my problem being a faulty SRS control unit. I found one online for $40 and I'm willing to bite the cost and take my chances if the odds are high that it will resolve this problem.

I'll wait and hope to hear other's experiences and advice. Anyone? Cheers.
Old 11-06-2005, 12:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

could be the air bag sensor, The lttle ball is stuck there fore setting off the light even after youve reset it
Old 11-06-2005, 06:41 PM

Default Re: 95 Accord SRS light light on even after reset

Would anyone be able to provide the locations of the following on a 1995 Accord:

1)SRS Control Unit
2)SRS sensor(s)

Thanks.
Old 11-08-2005, 07:28 PM

I meant to ask, where in the passenger compartment or underneath the hood can I located the SRS Control Unit, as well as the sensors?

Thanks.
Old 11-10-2005, 11:58 AM

PaulRi,

First thing I would do is try the memory reset again. The Honda Service Manual says:
1. Turn the ignition switch OFF, and wait for ten seconds.
2. Connect a short to the Memeory Erase Signal (MES) connector.
3. Turn the ignition switch ON (II).
4. The SRS indicator light comes on for about six seconds and then goes off. Remove the short from the MES connecotr within four seconds after the SRS indicator light went off.
5. The SRS indicaotr light comes on again. Reconnect the short to the MES connector within four seconds after the SRS indicator light comes on.
6. The SRS indicator light goes off. Remove the short from the MES connector within four seconds.
7. The SRS indicator light indicates that the memory is erased by blinking two times.

The ten second delay at the beginning is very important or the memory will not reset.

Secondly, on a '96 Accord (not sure about a '95) you can read the SRS Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) by shorting the Service Check Connector (it is the 2 pin connector) behind the glovebox. It has a 3 pin data link connector adjacent to it. Do not short the anything on the 3 pin connector, could ruin your ECU.

SRS DTC Process is:
1. Turn the ignition switch OFF, and wait ten seconds. Then connect the short to the service check connector (2 pin).
2. Turn the ignition switch ON (II). The SRS indicator light comes on for six seconds and goes off. Then it will indicate the DTC.
- The DTC consists of a main code (long blinks) and a subcode (short blinks).
- Including the most recent problem, up to three different malfunctions can be indicated.
- In case of a continuous failure, the DTC will be indicated repeatly.
- In case of an intermittent failure, the DTC will be indicated one time, then the light will stay on
- In case the system is normal (no DTC), the SRS indicator will stay on

DTCs that have a main code of 5, 6, 7, 8, or 10 require a new SRS unit. Main codes of 1 (driver side airbag), 2 (passenger side airbag), and 9 ((power supply) require other troubleshooting.

Thirdly, to answer your link question, the SRS unit is mounted dead center on the floorboard near the firewall (behind the radio). Best access is through the glove box opening. You can trace back to the SRS unit from the passenger side airbag wire. There are no external sensors, the impact sensor is internal to the SRS unit.

Finally and most importantly, before making or breaking any of the SRS connections to the SRS unit or either airbag, disconnect both the positive and negative battery terminals and wait a minimum of 3 minutes (wait 10 minutes to be safe) to allow the SRS system to discharge. You do not want accidently set off one of the airbags. If the close range airbag discharge doesn't kill you, the price of a new airbag might.

Good Luck

Old 11-10-2005, 08:42 PM

Default Re: 95 Accord SRS light light on even after reset (vpp1999)

Hi vpp1999, you're super. Thank you very much! I'll try this out.
Old 11-15-2005, 01:49 AM

where is the MES connector in this car ,can"t you help me ,i have the HOnda accord 1995
Old 11-15-2005, 04:57 AM

Default Re: 95 Accord SRS light light on even after reset (nguyennhatquang)

The SRS Main harness plugs into the under dash fuse box. Do not attempt to unhook that SRS Main power connector in the fuse box for it is a special locking connector that breaks easily if not handled correctly. But trace the main harness back from the under dash fuse box and the 1st branch off the SRS main harness should be the MES connector wire . The MES is a two pin connector parked in a dummy socket under the dash close to the fuse box. The MES should have either two gray wires (or a black & a white wire).

Remember my warning to PaulRi and use extreme caution when trouble shooting the SRS system. An inadvertant close range discharge of an airbag can result in serious (if not fatal) injuries.

Good Luck
Old 11-20-2005, 01:14 PM

Hi Vpp1999,

More progress on my side:

To begin, I always had problems finding the MES. (I didn't read your last post until now.) Anyhow, I realized I was having problems resetting the SRS light in the past because during the attempts I had both (two) connectors removed: (i) the MES and (ii) the SRS main harness plug. I realized I wasn't able to reset the SRS light using the correct MES connector because the SRS main harness plug was unplugged. I made the mistake thinking the SRS main harness was a dead connector. Duh. You’re right about the SRS main harness, located in the fuse box, being a “special” connector.

At this point I introduced a new SRS control unit which I bought used. (I took the chance and bought a used one for a good price). I then re-connected the SRS harness plug (I had to manually re-insert the wires into the broken connector because I broke the connector while trying to remove it) and I am finally able to successfully reset the SRS light. After the 2 blinks (which told me the SRS light was reset), the SRS light came immediately back on and stays on.

Also, I'm now able to pull the SRS DTC, thanks to your help. I'm getting SRS DTC 9-2, which I've learned is a faulty SRS power supply system. My guess is perhaps I didn't re-insert the SRS harness plug wires into the fuse box properly? Remeber, I broke the plug and now have to manually insert the wires back into their spot. It's possible I reversed the wires. I'm planning to reverse and re-insert the wires. What else could cause this DTC? The SRS fuse is fine. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks again. You've been of great help. /Paul

Modified by PaulRi at 10:24 PM 11/20/2005
Old 11-22-2005, 07:35 AM

Paul,
I emailed you the SRS section from the Shop Manual. Sorry I didn't do that earlier, probably would have saved you some rework. Hopefully it will help.

Good luck and be careful!
Old 11-22-2005, 11:23 AM

Hi I am a resident of the United Kingdom and I have just purchased a five door P reg (1997) Honda Civic 1.5I Vtech-2. The SRS red light indicator is permanently on and I was trying to find out what this meant and stumbled across your site. Can anyone tell me if the technique described in this thread will work with my car? Also why would the indicator be on in the first place and should I be getting it checked out or is resetting it sufficient?

Many thanks in advance for any help given.
Old 11-22-2005, 10:26 PM

Vpp1999,

Thanks to your help, I've resolved the problem. First, I resolved the problem I created by fixing the broken SRS harness connector which I accidently broke. Secondly, after pulling the DTC code (that told I had a fault SRS Control Unit), I replaced it with a unit I bought online. After resetting the SRS light, the light extiniguish and the problem is resolved. Thank you very much for your responses.
Old 06-02-2006, 12:20 PM

Default Re: (kobe5)

curious, where did you find your srs unit online? i'm in need of one too, and don't want pay with my left arm. thanks
Old 06-02-2006, 12:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (tflippin)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tflippin &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">curious, where did you find your srs unit online? i'm in need of one too, and don't want pay with my left arm. thanks</TD></TR></TABLE>

Me too!!
Old 09-29-2007, 11:39 AM

Default Re: Accord SRS light light on even after reset (PaulRi)

I have a 2000 Accord SE with the SRS light on. I have tried this procedure but failed at the first step. The SRS light does not go off. Any ideas?
Old 11-14-2007, 02:46 PM

Does this procedure work on the '97 accords as well?

If so where is the MES connector at? I tried the procedure with the blue connector located under the glove box on the passenger side with no luck. This is the connector I use to read the codes. But it it didn't seem to work for erasing the memory.

Here is a picture of the connector I used:
Name:  PICT5023.jpg
Views: 8958
Size:  42.8 KB

Name:  PICT5022.jpg
Views: 10702
Size:  46.8 KB
Old 03-27-2008, 11:24 AM

Thanks guys, just reset my SRS light been on close to a year.

Jed
Old 03-31-2008, 11:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 06-17-2008, 11:53 AM

Default Re: (linetrash75)

can we bring this topic back up? i have a 1995 accord i tried resetting and or getting codes but light never does anything but stay on?

i have a yellow 2 wire plug in a dummy connector by the hood latch. what is that?
also tried the blue one under glove box.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 95 Accord SRS light light on even after reset