Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Mold on Steering Wheel- what to do?

Old 11-07-2005, 08:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mold on Steering Wheel- what to do?

Hey my car has been sitting for awhile and a couple of days ago i decided to move it so i get in the car and there i saw mold all over the steering wheel. I was just wondering can the mold be harmful and what should or can i use to take the mold off. And i think its on the carpet aswell gotta go check it out.
Old 11-07-2005, 11:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Mold on Steering Wheel- what to do? (LsBack!)

I need help i wanna get this **** off...
Old 11-07-2005, 01:16 PM

go straight for the 409 w/mildew!
Old 11-07-2005, 01:18 PM

For the carpet you could to do a full restoration. I toke my interior out soaked my carpet in some of that new "oxyfoam stuff" and power washed it (do it with the carpet upright so all the coke and stains wash out) and u will probably have to rip out the pink foam, cushion stuff under the carpet when u do it. When the interior was out I orange cleaned the whole inside of the body (found about $3.00 in change too!). After putting back in freshly cleaned interior it smelled and looked better than new. . It will be time consuming but well worth it
Old 11-07-2005, 01:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Mold on Steering Wheel- what to do? (b16hatche)

^^^
do that..and yes the mold is harmful when "Distrubed"
Old 11-07-2005, 03:08 PM

Default Re: Mold on Steering Wheel- what to do? (EvilPinkEye)

It will release spores when you try to remove it and make you VERY SICK, so get a face mask or something (Walgreens generic brand will do) and do it outside with good ventalation and you should be fine.
Old 11-07-2005, 03:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah man whatever you do be carefull with that.
Old 11-07-2005, 03:47 PM
* B A N N E D *

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Mold on Steering Wheel- what to do? (Slow EJ8)

Um, i hate to scare you, but if you have mold on the STEERING WHEEL, ever think maybe theres mold, oh i dunno, in other places? air conditioning ducts, carpet, seats, stereo. id tear the whole car down and clean it, good excuse to upgrade **** too.
Old 11-08-2005, 11:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Mold on Steering Wheel- what to do? (Redline96LX)

Nah there is a steering wheel cover so i think that is what caused the mold but i dont think it is anywhere else but ill check.
Old 11-08-2005, 12:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

mold is no good
Old 11-08-2005, 12:21 PM
Imperious: Mod of Valor

Default Re: Mold on Steering Wheel- what to do? (EvilPinkEye)

This is disgusting. First and foremost I would find where the moisture is coming into your car and fix the problem to avoid things like this in the future.
Old 11-08-2005, 12:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Mold on Steering Wheel- what to do? (JDM-EJ1)

Im gonna get some 409 mildew remover and get a little face mask I'll clean the mold off the wheel and take out the stock seats put my del sols in. If there is mold on the carpet ill take it out and just roll without a carpet. Hopefully that will solve my problem!
Old 11-08-2005, 01:24 PM

For the wheel: Mix some Lysol and liquid detergent in a small container of hot water. Scrub it with a brush. The carpet is another matter at least until you have some very warm weather to dry it out.
Old 11-08-2005, 01:25 PM
Imperious: Mod of Valor

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LsBack! &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Im gonna get some 409 mildew remover and get a little face mask I'll clean the mold off the wheel and take out the stock seats put my del sols in. If there is mold on the carpet ill take it out and just roll without a carpet. Hopefully that will solve my problem!</TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't think taking the carpet out will solve the problem. Somewhere, there is a leak in your car that is causing the steering wheel to get moist, as is the carpet. Removing the carpet will only allow the chassi to get moist and sooner or later it wouldn't surprise me if it started to rust.

Find the leak, and fix it.
Old 11-08-2005, 02:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Mold on Steering Wheel- what to do? (JDM-EJ1)

The car was in florida and was parked in a garage where it just sat for about a year. I think probably since it was in there for so long and it was probably really hot and humid maybe that is what caused the mold i dont think there is a leak since it was in that garage for so long.
Old 11-10-2005, 09:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yea i just bought some Lysol Disinfectant all purpose cleaner with Bleach. So im gonna try that tomorrow see what happens and let you guys know what happened. If i dont reply back im probably dead because the mold got into my lungs. Just playing got a face mask and everything, not trying to play around with mold.
Old 11-10-2005, 09:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bet the wheel cover had some funky stuff growing in it as it's touching your hands which have touched everything else. I would take the cover off and burn that thing. If it was in a garage and was never out in the rain then your fine as far as water leaks go. I wanna see pics.... .
Old 11-10-2005, 09:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Mold on Steering Wheel- what to do? (Bond)

Yea it was never taken out the garage... I'll have some pic of before and after. I also gonna buy this carp that u spray in the vents to kill mold just to be on the safe side u know.
Old 11-10-2005, 10:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol, what the hell'd you do, leave some cheese under the steering wheel cover?
Old 11-11-2005, 02:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Mold on Steering Wheel- what to do? (blkSi)

I took the cover off then sprayed the wheel with some Lysol and i let it set for about a couple of minutes. After that i took a couple of bountys and cleaned it off so i think it is ok now.

Tomorrow im gonna go back and look around the car for more mold because i couldn't really see since it was dark.
Old 11-11-2005, 02:03 PM

pictures
Old 11-11-2005, 04:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Leave it with the windows up outside on a hot sunny day.......should help you kill the stuff.

edit: steam cleaners is an alternative to all the chemicals.....
Old 11-11-2005, 04:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (old man neri)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by old man neri &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Leave it with the windows up outside on a hot sunny day.......should help you kill the stuff.

edit: steam cleaners is an alternative to all the chemicals.....</TD></TR></TABLE>

wow you are really stupid.

Lets leave some mold out in the hot humid weather, that doesn't encourage its growth or anything.

The only known agent to kill mold or mildew is bleach. Yes, bleach. If you buy any, and I really mean any cleaning product that is designed to clean and kill mold or mildew you will find that it has bleach as an active ingredient.

Get some bleach, dilute it with water, wipe the mold clean, and be done with it... or mix it with ammonia and take a few deep breaths for quick relief... from life.
Old 11-11-2005, 06:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Vero)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Vero &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

wow you are really stupid.

Lets leave some mold out in the hot humid weather, that doesn't encourage its growth or anything.

The only known agent to kill mold or mildew is bleach. Yes, bleach. If you buy any, and I really mean any cleaning product that is designed to clean and kill mold or mildew you will find that it has bleach as an active ingredient.

Get some bleach, dilute it with water, wipe the mold clean, and be done with it... or mix it with ammonia and take a few deep breaths for quick relief... from life.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Please do not call me stupid.

and no bleach does not work
http://www.buildings.com/Artic...=2285 states:

"15. Do not use chlorine bleach to kill mold or disinfect moldy areas. Bleach is not an effective or lasting killer of toxic mold growth and mold spores on and inside porous, cellulose building materials such as wood timbers, drywall, plasterboard, particleboard, plywood, plywood substitutes, ceiling tiles, and carpeting/padding."

Try reading this also: http://www.bleach-mold-myth.com/

Also it does state here that steam will kill mold.
http://www.moldmart.net/reside...r.htm
Oh course the downside being you want the remaing vapour to try quickly. There are other links on how to use steam to clean mold on the internet, search.

and as for the sunlight
http://www.onlineallergycenter.com/killingmolds/ states:

"Under the best applications of these U.V. lights in hospital air filtration systems it is suggested one can achieve a "theoretical kill rate of 98%" of bacteria that pass the light. Mold spores are even more sensitive. For mold spores the "kill rate" is quite nearly 100%"

If you have other information that dictates otherwise please share, I would love to learn.

As for the original complaintant there are tons of online resources for you. Just google it and you will probably learn an effective way to kill the mold in your that is best suited for you.
Old 11-11-2005, 06:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

its not going to hurt you...just hit it with some bleach. I love how people think mold is so damn dangerous....
Im actually certified by the state for mold and bleach is fine for 90% of molds you will encounter.

Modified by pdiggitydogg at 10:51 PM 11/11/2005

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mold on Steering Wheel- what to do?