Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Just Changed my Master Cylinder, now I have no Brakes HELP!!!!

Old 11-03-2005, 04:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Just Changed my Master Cylinder, now I have no Brakes HELP!!!!

Ok.. I just changed my Master Cylinder.

I bench bled the new one like 15 times.. It seemed like there were no bubbles coming anymore, so i plugged the holes, filled the the resevoir with brake fluid and put the cap on. I then installed the MC and tightened the mounting bolts, then installed and tightened the 2 fittings on the MC.

The book said to Bleed the MC while it was on the vehicle, so did that.. atleast I think i did it properly. I pressed the brake pedal down, and put a bar to hold it in, and then loosened 1 of the fittings a little bit to allow fluid and air to escape. I did each fitting like this 4 times. ---> Did I do this properly? or should I remove each fitting completely?? I was unclear exactly how to do this.

I then filled the resevoir and bled all 4 brakes in order. But I think my helped might have MESSED up. I dont think he pushed the pedal down and held it there properly until i was done my job on the caliper.

But anyways, I did all 4 calipers, filled the resevoir up again, and then started the car up and pushed the brakes in a bunch of times.. Nothing.. soft and goes right to the bottom. I drove it around the parking lot and there is VERY LITTLE brakes.. not enough to take it on the road.

what are you're suggestions?

*** HOW DO YOU BLEED THE MASTER CYLINDER???? ***

Did i do it correctly???

There doesnt seem to be any fluid leaking anywhere.. So i dont know what the deal is.
Old 11-03-2005, 04:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Just Changed my Master Cylinder, now I have no Brakes HELP!!!! (92integraVTECgsr)

It's for my 1992 Integra GS-R w/ ABS.
Old 11-03-2005, 04:30 PM
Daisy... Daisy...

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Just Changed my Master Cylinder, now I have no Brakes HELP!!!! (92integraVTECgsr)

Search on google for "hondahookup manual". You'll find what you need.
Old 11-03-2005, 04:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how did you bleed your brakes?
Old 11-03-2005, 05:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (projectTeG)

one person in the car. pump the brake pedal 8 times, and hold. loosen the bleed screw on the caliper, let fluid and bubbles run out. tight. repeat 2 more times, then move to the next caliper. Yes in the right order.

But what puzzled me, was there wasnt much brake fluid coming out when i loosened the bleed screw. I think my helper wasn't doing his job right.

what would cause no fluid to come out??
Old 11-03-2005, 05:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (92integraVTECgsr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 92integraVTECgsr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">one person in the car. pump the brake pedal 8 times, and hold. loosen the bleed screw on the caliper, let fluid and bubbles run out. tight. repeat 2 more times, then move to the next caliper. Yes in the right order.

But what puzzled me, was there wasnt much brake fluid coming out when i loosened the bleed screw. I think my helper wasn't doing his job right.

what would cause no fluid to come out??</TD></TR></TABLE>
bleeder not opened far enought....not enough fluid in the lines...a leak....the list could go on.
Old 11-03-2005, 05:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bleeder screw was open far enough.

Not enough fluid in the lines, a possibility, I will try again tomorrow and see what happens.

No fluid leaking from the master cylinder, and that was the only thing changed.

what i really want to know is how to bleed a master cylinder while it is on the vehicle.

Old 11-03-2005, 05:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 92integraVTECgsr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">bleeder screw was open far enough.

Not enough fluid in the lines, a possibility, I will try again tomorrow and see what happens.

No fluid leaking from the master cylinder, and that was the only thing changed.

what i really want to know is how to bleed a master cylinder while it is on the vehicle.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

you bleed the brakes, i replaced my master cylinder and bench bleed it with it off that car and reinstalled it and didnt have to blled my brakes, but i did anyways just to make sure.
Old 11-03-2005, 05:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i did just to make sure as well.

how did you bench bleed your brakes? i might have messed that up since i didnt use a bench vise. Instead i just sat it on the floor upright position.. and pushed the rod in with my hands(damn they were sore).

so i might just take the unit off tomorrow and bench bleed it properly.

so did you bleed your MC after you installed it on your car???
Old 11-03-2005, 05:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 92integraVTECgsr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i did just to make sure as well.

how did you bench bleed your brakes? i might have messed that up since i didnt use a bench vise. Instead i just sat it on the floor upright position.. and pushed the rod in with my hands(damn they were sore).

so i might just take the unit off tomorrow and bench bleed it properly.

so did you bleed your MC after you installed it on your car???</TD></TR></TABLE>

i did the same i used the kit that came with it, ran the lines back into the reservoir and pumped until no bubble came out, the installed it on the car tested them and the felt fine....then i just bleed the brakes.
Old 11-03-2005, 05:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hmm.. so either I messed up, or my buddy pumping the brakes messed up.. i put my money on my friend..

did you put your MC in a vise and use a screw driver in the rod and push it in when you did it?

how many times did you do it? do u remember? push in, release slowly, wait 10 seconds, repeat until no bubbles are visible?
Old 11-03-2005, 05:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 92integraVTECgsr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hmm.. so either I messed up, or my buddy pumping the brakes messed up.. i put my money on my friend..

did you put your MC in a vise and use a screw driver in the rod and push it in when you did it?

how many times did you do it? do u remember? push in, release slowly, wait 10 seconds, repeat until no bubbles are visible?</TD></TR></TABLE>

i held it in my hand and pumped with my palm, i think i did it for about 2 minutes....just to make sure, id say your pedal pusher is to blame. try getting a one-man brake bleeder.
Old 11-03-2005, 05:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

k well thats how i bench bled mine.. ya i think my pedal pusher is to blame too.. i got a 1 man bleeding kit, but i didnt like it.. but i may try it.. my gf is gonna be my pedal pusher tomorrow.. shes great at it
Old 11-03-2005, 05:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 92integraVTECgsr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">k well thats how i bench bled mine.. ya i think my pedal pusher is to blame too.. i got a 1 man bleeding kit, but i didnt like it.. but i may try it.. my gf is gonna be my pedal pusher tomorrow.. shes great at it </TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 11-03-2005, 07:24 PM

Where I think you messed up was not keeping the brake resevoir full while you bled each caliper. If you let the level of the fluid to go down too far, it starts to pump air into the system instead of brake fluid.

I bench bled my MC like you did, then installed it, then just gravity bled my brakes and it worked like a charm. I don't have ABS, so you probably have a few more steps to bleeding the brakes anyway.
Old 11-03-2005, 08:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Sam92Teg)

no i kept the MC full all the time.. i kept my eye on it all the time.

what do u mean you let gravity do the work? did you not bleed it?

i've heard of a kit that you can hook up to the bleeder screw and blow air into the caliper and then the air will bubble out the MC.

I am just gonna bleed my brakes again tomorrow.
Old 11-03-2005, 10:27 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

pump the brake pedal 5 times, last pump keep it pushed down firmly.(do not let up).

(Person bleeding) then loosens screw so brake fluid comes out. QUICKLY tighten back up the screw, to not allow air in after the squirt.

( Person in car) foot on the brake pedal should go all the way to the floor (when scew is loosened) keep it there!!!!!!!!!!

Then person in car pulls pedal back up(all the way) so the pedal in original position(all the way to the top). During this time the person that WAS bleeding, makes sure the fluid in MC if full because it will pull the fluid from the MCinto the lines but make sure it deosnt drain it or air will get in (you said you did this though so??).

Keep on doing this and for sure you will get fluid in the lines and air out. Maybe you have a whole or kinked the a line.

Modified by volcom40street at 7:38 AM 11/4/2005
Old 11-04-2005, 12:22 AM

Default Re: (volcom40street)

why did you replace the MC in the first place?
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by volcom40street &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">pump the brake pedal 5 times, last pump keep it pushed down firmly.(do not let up).

(Person bleeding) then loosens screw so brake fluid comes out. QUICKLY tighten back up the screw, to not allow air in after the squirt.

( Person in car) foot on the brake pedal should go all the way to the floor (when scew is loosened) keep it there!!!!!!!!!!

Then person in car pulls pedal back up(all the way) so the pedal in original position(all the way to the top). During this time the person that WAS bleeding, makes sure the fluid in MC if full because it will pull the fluid from the MCinto the lines but make sure it deosnt drain it or air will get in (you said you did this though so??).

Keep on doing this and for sure you will get fluid in the lines and air out. Maybe you have a whole or kinked the a line.

Modified by volcom40street at 7:38 AM 11/4/2005</TD></TR></TABLE>

do this about ten times each wheel
start at rear first
Old 11-04-2005, 09:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (DirtyBirdJR)

MC was leaking brake fluid.

i bled the lines again.. just now.. but gotta go to class.. should be good.. i used a big bottle of valvoline syn brake fluid. did each caliper 4 times.. so should all new fluid and no air.. ill test and get back to you all.

thanks.
Old 11-04-2005, 04:02 PM

Not sure if you want to be pushing the brake pedal all the way to the floor. There are usually warnings to press alittle less than to the floor because somehow this can damage the new MC.

Oh, and I have a 92 RS, with no ABS, so my brake system is easily bled by gravity. I just fill the resevoir and in the correct order open the caliper bleeders and let it drip into a clear cup. It only took 8 minutes each for my rears, and about 4 minutes each for the fronts. My brakes have been perfect ever since.

I don't know if gravity bleeding works for ABS systems, probably not.
Old 11-04-2005, 05:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Sam92Teg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sam92Teg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Not sure if you want to be pushing the brake pedal all the way to the floor. There are usually warnings to press alittle less than to the floor because somehow this can damage the new MC.</TD></TR></TABLE>

hows that? anyone know about that forsure??

I read through all the instructions that came with the MC and in the Haynes Manual, and didnt read anything about not pushing it all the way in.
Old 11-04-2005, 05:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok, so i tested my brakes after class, and still very soft..

here is what i posted in another post:

ok wtf??? ive bleed my brakes 3 times now.. so each caliper ive bleed 12 times.

everytime when my pedal pusher starts and pumps for 8 times and holds, i loosen the bleed screws on the caliper and a lot of bubbles and fluid come out.

on the 2nd, 3rd and 4th times, there are no bubbles coming out, but it also seems like there is no fluid coming out either.

so i tighten up that caliper and continue on to the next one. The same thing happes for each caliper.

then at the end, when i tighten everything up and top off the resevoir, the brakes are still soft.

Like i said, I have done this procedure 3 times!!!!! and each time, the same result.

wtf is going on???

could the master cylinder be no good??? i dont know..

do i need to adjust anything? like that push rod that goes into the master cylinder?? is it just taking the old MC off and putting the new one on the same way the old one came off??