Notices

About draining my gas tank...

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2005, 08:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default About draining my gas tank...

**edit**

How do you siphon gas? I couldn't get the hose all the way into the tank. Has anyone sucessfully done it?

How about using the fuel pump to pump it out??

I need to drain the gas tank on the EF that I just picked up because it's been sitting for well over a year. The gas gauge tells me that there is almost a full tank of gas, which I am assuming is just under 10 gallons or so.

I know that in order to drain it I just have to undo the drain bolt on the bottom of the tank and let it drain out.

My question is this, what the hell am I supposed to do with 10 gallons of old gas? What should I drain it into? Where should I put it?

Also, is there a way to test to see if the gas is still good or is it definately bad from sitting? I don't know much about the shelf life of gasoline, but I'd think it would take a while for it to go bad. But, I am also dropping a brand new engine into the car and I don't want to risk all the hard work I put into it by running bad gas through it.

I guess I just have these questions:

- Is there a way to test the gas to see if it's "bad"?
- What should I drain the gas into?
- What should I do with the bad gas once I drain it all out?

Thanks for the help!!

Modified by EJ1 wilcox at 3:51 PM 11/3/2005
Old 10-28-2005, 10:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: About draining my gas tank... (EJ1 wilcox)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EJ1 wilcox &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I guess I just have these questions:

- Is there a way to test the gas to see if it's "bad"?
- What should I drain the gas into?

</TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't have an answer to your first question. As for what to drain the gas into, make sure its a larger than 10 gallon container. I'd say a 15 gallong container just to be on the safe side. And make sure its WIDE as the gas doesn't come out as a nice stream.

With the old gas, I would use it in a lawn mower, weed wacker, snow blower, etc. Basically in a device that you don't care much about and doesn't require good gas. Also you could mix the old gas with new gas, just to be safe.
Old 10-28-2005, 10:59 AM

I would siphon it out the filler neck into a couple 5 gallon gas containers less mess and less work and much easier to dispose of.

here is a siphon that should work:
http://www.baproducts.com/siphon.htm

Old 10-28-2005, 11:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: About draining my gas tank... (keithv)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by keithv &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
With the old gas, I would use it in a lawn mower, weed wacker, snow blower, etc. Basically in a device that you don't care much about and doesn't require good gas. Also you could mix the old gas with new gas, just to be safe.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

DO NOT PUT OLD GAS IN A SMALL ENGINES LIKE WEED WACKERS, SNOWBLOWERS, LAWNMOWERS ECT.... The bad gas will gum up the carb and make them run like crap causing all sorts of headaches. The smaller the motor the more tempermental it is with bad gas.

Mixing it with fresh gas will just make twice as much "bad" gas. Gas usually starts turning into turpentine or some other varnish after awhile but deteriorates significantly in 2 months.

I had to siphon out 13 gallons of bad gas from my jetski (has oil injection so it wasnt mixed with oil). The gas was 4+ years old. Heres my recomendation and what I did.

First like said below siphon it out through the filler neck into 5 gallon containers. It is so much cleaner and easier to do. Trying to drain the tank into some huge 15gallon bucket will be a mess. Atleast siphoning it out the top will put it in usable containers. Anyway put the gas into something that burns gas like crazy or any other car. What are your plans for this car? Why not just start it up and burn it out in this car? If the car doesn't run siphon it out and put it in an SUV. I put 5 gallons at a time into my 95 ford exploder. That thing burns gas like crazy so who cares. It ran fine and there were no changes at all. I also put about 4 gallons into my 91 crx with 200,000 miles and it was fine too. The bigger the engine the better off youll be but even the little CRX burned it fine.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CustomVW &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I would siphon it out the filler neck into a couple 5 gallon gas containers less mess and less work and much easier to dispose of.

here is a siphon that should work:
http://www.baproducts.com/siphon.htm

</TD></TR></TABLE>

New gas compared to Old gas (10+years for that gas in the picture. You can see debris in it from sitting in a metal tank for so long. Just use a good filter like from a coffee machine). The more orange it is the older it is.
Old 10-28-2005, 02:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: About draining my gas tank... (TurboEM1)

1 year? d motor? i'd start it and see. if it runs, burn it out. it'll sputter and backfire (or not start at all) if it is bad.
Old 10-28-2005, 06:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: About draining my gas tank... (TurboEM1)

Thanks for the suggestions!

Yeah, I would much rather siphon it out a few gallons at a time than just open the drain plug and let it go.

I know the car has been sitting for a little over a year. What are the chances that the gas is okay? Should I just see if it starts up and if it does then don't worry about it?

What harm could be done if the gas is bad and I try to start the car?

This engine is fresh, so as soon as it starts and is warm I will need to take it out and break it in.

What about pouring in some sort of gas stabilizer? I know they have cans of that stuff that is supposed to help when you are storing gas. What if I poured a can of that into the tank?

Thanks again for the help!
Old 10-28-2005, 07:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you can dispose old gas at places that take used oil.
Old 10-28-2005, 09:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

full tank of one year old gas will prolly be ok. but if the motor has ever been run, and especially if it is running anything new as far as wiring or ignition goes, i´s play it safe and drain it to eliminate any extra variables in case it isnt running properly.

about draining it- where are you doing it? i mean, i would just put it up high on jackstands and drain it into a funnel and a 5gal. can, switching in a new one when it got kinda full. dispose at any gas/oil refuse collector.
Old 10-28-2005, 10:30 PM

make a huuuuuuuuge bomb
Old 10-29-2005, 09:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: About draining my gas tank... (rsca_crx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rsca_crx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">full tank of one year old gas will prolly be ok. but if the motor has ever been run, and especially if it is running anything new as far as wiring or ignition goes, i´s play it safe and drain it to eliminate any extra variables in case it isnt running properly.

about draining it- where are you doing it? i mean, i would just put it up high on jackstands and drain it into a funnel and a 5gal. can, switching in a new one when it got kinda full. dispose at any gas/oil refuse collector. </TD></TR></TABLE>

The engine has never been run before. It's completely rebuilt from the ground up.

So, I'm thinking I'll drain the gas out and use some fresh stuff, I have enough variables to worry about when I go to start it up.

I am going to be draining it in my garage. I guess I'll just siphon it out into milk jugs or something and take them to the local oil recycling place.

Better safe than sorry, I spent quite a bit of money and time on this engine, and I want the break in process to go smoothly.
Old 10-29-2005, 09:20 AM

burn the old gas. fun and effective.
Old 10-29-2005, 06:00 PM

Default Re: (^RaCk^)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ^RaCk^ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">burn the old gas. fun and effective. </TD></TR></TABLE>

put the car in a street and let it dump out
Old 10-29-2005, 10:14 PM
.Ry
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Pantysniffer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Pantysniffer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

put the car in a street and let it dump out </TD></TR></TABLE><TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ^RaCk^ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">burn the old gas. fun and effective. </TD></TR></TABLE> Or drive the car while dumping the gas and then light it on fire, should make a line of fire which would be a nice show. Make sure you make a video.
Old 10-30-2005, 04:35 AM
Brrraaaap!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (turner7205)

My buddy started a truck that had 18 year old gas in it. It ran good for about 2 miniutes, then the lines clogged. lol. Cleaned the lines out and changed the filter 2 more times and then he burned the entire tank.

I say start it up and burn it off, check the filter tho.. BTW what car is this for, your DD or project?

Blaze
Old 10-30-2005, 08:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Land of the free, whoever told you that is your enemy
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EJ1 wilcox &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Make homemade napalm out of it, set ricer's cars on fire with it. DO NOT US IT IN ANY ENGINE!!!
Old 10-30-2005, 09:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: About draining my gas tank... (CRXBart)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CRXBart &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Make homemade napalm out of it, set ricer's cars on fire with it. DO NOT US IT IN ANY ENGINE!!! </TD></TR></TABLE>

best suggestion yet. do half with orange juice and half with styrofoam and compare burn rates.

change the gas and get the damn thing running already.
Old 10-30-2005, 11:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Don;t do what my dumb *** did...

The first day I got my swap done I filled it up, the next morning it would not crank, ended up narrowing it down to bad gas. My gauge said 3/4 full, but at that time I didn't know if it was working or not, the car was only driven 3 0r 4 miles. I proceed to jack up the rear and pull the drain plug, a few drops came out. I was like hmmm?? It must be newar empty, so I go buy 2 gallons of 93 from Chevron and put it in. It then started to crank a little. So I try to drain it again, only got another drip drip. So I go get a screwdriver and stick it in the hole (just like a dumbass on a cartoon) and the gas proceeds to poor out. It fills the damn 2 one gallon buckets I had out there...well the gas kept coming, now I'm running back and forth throwing buckets of gas into the ditch behind my house, took like 4 or 5 trips, while I'm running the **** is steadily running down my driveway.
That was honestly the dumbest thing I ever did.
It's kinda funny now, but the whole street smelled like gas. Every weed in that little ditch was killed over. I then had to tow my car to my shop. I was praying that the tow truck wouldn't cause some type of spark near my driveway...it would have blown me, my house and my cars off the damn map.
Old 10-30-2005, 12:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^^^^^^^ hahaha WOW

i bought a car that sat for 1 year with about half a tank. drove it around and even got it smogged on that same tank haha. just drive it
Old 10-30-2005, 01:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: About draining my gas tank... (91civicEX)

i would siphon out the first 5-7 gallons until its about 1/4 tank. then i would drain out the rest. you never know what kinda **** is at the bottom of your tank, draining it would take a lot of the junk out that siphoning (sp?) would miss. just my .02 . the best thing to do would be drain it all, jacking/tilting the car so the drain hole is the lowest spot, to get all the junk out, but siphoning first, then jacking the car up and draining the last of it will do. just a suggestion. hope all goes well...
Old 10-30-2005, 03:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Re: About draining my gas tank... (whiteef8)

I agree, if you drain an old tank (like mine was) you'll see gas go from red to yellow to clear. And if your as lucky as me and went to a place that mixed diesel with 93, you can even get to watch it seperate in the bucket...like real live Mr. Wizard
Old 11-03-2005, 10:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: About draining my gas tank... (Autoworks)

Okay, total nooB question but....

How do you siphon the gas? LOL.

I tried last night but the hose wouldn't go all the way into the gas tank. I pushed it as far as it would go and it stopped before it acually penetrated the tank.

I did some searching around and it looks like there may be a screen that prevents siphoning of the gas.

So, is there a way to siphon the gas? Or, am I going to have to find another way of draining the tank??

I thought about just putting the fuel line in a bucket and priming the fuel pump over and over again until it pumps all of the gas out of the tank. That might take a while though, because the fuel pump only primes for about 4 seconds each time I turn the key.

Is there a better way to do it? Or, am I just going to have to sit there and turn the key a bunch of times and let the fuel pump do the work??
Old 11-03-2005, 10:14 AM

Default Re: About draining my gas tank... (Autoworks)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Autoworks &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Don;t do what my dumb *** did...

The first day I got my swap done I filled it up, the next morning it would not crank, ended up narrowing it down to bad gas. My gauge said 3/4 full, but at that time I didn't know if it was working or not, the car was only driven 3 0r 4 miles. I proceed to jack up the rear and pull the drain plug, a few drops came out. I was like hmmm?? It must be newar empty, so I go buy 2 gallons of 93 from Chevron and put it in. It then started to crank a little. So I try to drain it again, only got another drip drip. So I go get a screwdriver and stick it in the hole (just like a dumbass on a cartoon) and the gas proceeds to poor out. It fills the damn 2 one gallon buckets I had out there...well the gas kept coming, now I'm running back and forth throwing buckets of gas into the ditch behind my house, took like 4 or 5 trips, while I'm running the **** is steadily running down my driveway.
That was honestly the dumbest thing I ever did.
It's kinda funny now, but the whole street smelled like gas. Every weed in that little ditch was killed over. I then had to tow my car to my shop. I was praying that the tow truck wouldn't cause some type of spark near my driveway...it would have blown me, my house and my cars off the damn map. </TD></TR></TABLE>

lol
Old 11-03-2005, 02:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: About draining my gas tank... (Keebler)

Bump for some input on siphoning!!
Old 11-04-2005, 07:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 11-04-2005, 10:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

What kind of hose was it? From the service manual, it looks like there are 3 somewhat tight bends. You might want to try putting a metal barb on the end (most rubber/vinyl tubing catches easily on protrusions) so it goes in easier, as well as stays to the bottom. Other than that, I don't think there is any screen present. If it still doesn't work, remove the rear interior and disassemble the filler tube.

Quick Reply: About draining my gas tank...