Notices

The monthly h22 MAHLE pistons thread..

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2005, 10:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The monthly h22 MAHLE pistons thread..

So I've been waiting for a while now to hear of any experiences with mahle pistons in an h22. Earl made that thread a while back about quality issues and rods not fitting, but I never read anything else on if they fixed them or not.

Anyone have any success or failure stories? I have a feeling my h22 ringlands are going bye bye and it would be nice not to re-sleeve the block if I don't need to since I run low boost and it's my DD.

Old 10-18-2005, 05:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Don't be shy now
Old 10-18-2005, 05:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (bubs)

subscribed... I heard it's hard to get through.. but maybe give them a call?
Old 10-18-2005, 06:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (2point2)

I'm intrested in this as well , if mahle says it works then what rod did they use? I've e-mailed them , but they never contacted me back. Bad business in my book.
Old 10-18-2005, 06:19 PM

We have been using Mahle pistons for the last year or so in H22's with no issues. These have been a great option to sleeving the block. However you can overbore H22's one time (I can't remember how much right now) and Mahle does make a piston for the overbore. So if your ringlands go and scratch up the cylinders there still is hope before new sleeves.

We are in the process of a high compression H22 build with over size MAHLE pistons for this application.

Anyway I havent heard any complaints from our machine shop reguarding these pistons being fitted to rods as of yet, but I will let everyone know if something changes.
Old 10-19-2005, 03:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (flatblackracing)

Thanks for posting flatblackracing, what type of rods have you been using? I read in another post that certain rods weren't fitting correctly. Also, have you had any higher HP cars (350+ hp) using them with stock sleeves?
Old 10-19-2005, 05:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (flatblackracing)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by flatblackracing &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">We have been using Mahle pistons for the last year or so in H22's with no issues. These have been a great option to sleeving the block. However you can overbore H22's one time (I can't remember how much right now) and Mahle does make a piston for the overbore. So if your ringlands go and scratch up the cylinders there still is hope before new sleeves.

We are in the process of a high compression H22 build with over size MAHLE pistons for this application.

Anyway I havent heard any complaints from our machine shop reguarding these pistons being fitted to rods as of yet, but I will let everyone know if something changes.
</TD></TR></TABLE>
I'd like to hear more about the builds you have gotten to work with the piston. Is this a f.i. application and if so what size turbo and psi. I'd like to see a dyno sheet if you have any. I'm really curiuos to know how much boost/power a stock sleeve h22 can handle.
Old 10-19-2005, 06:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (93hatched_projekt)

ill make my monthly expletive mahle post, they still owe me a set of valves
Old 10-19-2005, 07:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JDogg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDogg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ill make my monthly expletive mahle post, they still owe me a set of valves</TD></TR></TABLE>

Care to elaborate?
Old 10-20-2005, 08:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bubs &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Care to elaborate? </TD></TR></TABLE>

they sent us a set of pistons to test, they wanted to see how they held up in the sleeves, the deal was anything that was messed up in the process due to the pistons they would take care of. they put the valve reliefs in the wrong spot, bent every exh valve in the head, brand new ferrea valves. we pull the pistons out, overnight them to mahle for the PRI show last december. we play phone tag for 2 months about getting a revised set of pistons and getting the head fixed, finally they tell us that we never sent them the orignal pistons and we were lying about the whole thing and to basicly go expletive ourselves.
Old 10-20-2005, 08:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if you have a closed deck h22, just get some press in liners and run some forged pistons, pressed in liners can be done for under 500 usually
Old 10-20-2005, 10:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

LOL, that's hilarious, I saw those pistons at PRI last year and asked why the valves had hit! haha, they said that it was an installer error. Shoulda known you had something to do with it. lol j/k about it being your fault, but they really did say that.
Old 10-20-2005, 11:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (tony1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tony1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">LOL, that's hilarious, I saw those pistons at PRI last year and asked why the valves had hit! haha, they said that it was an installer error. Shoulda known you had something to do with it. lol j/k about it being your fault, but they really did say that. </TD></TR></TABLE>

haha, installer error... Brad Z put the motor together
Old 10-20-2005, 11:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

see, that explains it, the guy was telling the truth.
Old 10-20-2005, 04:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDogg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if you have a closed deck h22, just get some press in liners and run some forged pistons, pressed in liners can be done for under 500 usually</TD></TR></TABLE>

who, where, why dont people talk about this?
Old 10-20-2005, 05:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (2point2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 2point2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

who, where, why dont people talk about this?</TD></TR></TABLE>

its a secrete... but press-in iron liners are pretty common to repair blocks with messed up bores.. it works on a closed deck motor pretty well. if we can find a few more parts im going to be putting together an 89mm bore turbo motor with press in liners
Old 10-20-2005, 11:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDogg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if you have a closed deck h22, just get some press in liners and run some forged pistons, pressed in liners can be done for under 500 usually</TD></TR></TABLE>

Why haven't I heard of this? How much displacement will it reduce our 2.2l blocks to? Are they reliable?
Old 10-21-2005, 12:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: The monthly h22 MAHLE pistons thread.. (bubs)

Damn JDogg, that sucks what they did to you. I agree that they are difficult to get a hold of. I was working on a magazine article on an engine build with Jason tC, but I can't get the guy at Mahle to call me back.

Earlier this year, my car started showing up in the Mahle ads running in Modifed and DSport magazines. It was a coincidence, I guess. They said that the ad agency put the ad together and they didn't know who's car it was. Turnsout my boss knows someone over at Mahle. He called and told them what I was doing with my H22, and they sent me a set of pistons.

I finally got the motor together and in the car last month. 87mm, 9.0:1 CR. Stock sleeves, I've hit 30 psi and 102% duty cycle on my 1000cc injectors. That should be around 600 hp. Compression is showing about 180psi across the board. The motor seems to be running great. I must admit, for the money, they are a great alternative to ductile iron sleeves/normal forged pistons. We'll see how long it lasts, I was planning to tear it down during the off season to check out how they're wearing on the skirts.

Tyler

Old 10-21-2005, 03:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: The monthly h22 MAHLE pistons thread.. (Tyler H)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tyler H &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I finally got the motor together and in the car last month. 87mm, 9.0:1 CR. Stock sleeves, I've hit 30 psi and 102% duty cycle on my 1000cc injectors. That should be around 600 hp. Compression is showing about 180psi across the board. The motor seems to be running great. I must admit, for the money, they are a great alternative to ductile iron sleeves/normal forged pistons. We'll see how long it lasts, I was planning to tear it down during the off season to check out how they're wearing on the skirts.

Tyler</TD></TR></TABLE>

Nice! That's the kind of news I want to hear What kind of rods did you end up using and did you have any fitment/quality issues?
Old 10-21-2005, 04:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

subscribed, one of my good friends made 360 whp on a bone stock h22 with a 2 inch downpipe and 19 psi of boost, reading no knock at all. :-)
Old 10-21-2005, 04:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Blind Fashion)

the press in liners dont reduce displacement.. you bore out the stock sleeve, press in the new one.... like i said, we will be using these with a 89mm bore soon if i can find all the pieces i need.

tyler... did the rods fit in your pistons? we had to grind about 0.050 off each side of the small end of the rod for it to fit the piston.

dont get me wrong, they work awesome in the sleeves, but i just cant justify giving my (or my customers) hard earned money to a company calls ME a lier and refuses to live up to their word.
Old 10-21-2005, 06:00 AM

so these pistons do work eh? any problems with rods fitting the pistons like Earl's thread a while back Tyler?

i am using the press in liners from darton... they're ductile iron also....
Old 10-21-2005, 06:06 AM

Great information guys. I've been looking into the gold series for a long time - can't find a place to buy them though.

They work well with eagle rods correct? I think I remember that thread Earl had - he said the rod didn't fit the piston whatsoever......but i guess that was in their testing days or what not. I'm going to buy a set.......where do i do that? I think i found some on jegs, but i don't think those were the gold series.
Old 10-21-2005, 06:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDogg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">its a secrete... but press-in iron liners are pretty common to repair blocks with messed up bores.. it works on a closed deck motor pretty well. if we can find a few more parts im going to be putting together an 89mm bore turbo motor with press in liners</TD></TR></TABLE>

I've got this setup, liners arent monster sized like the primo aftermarket sleeves but it's closed deck so I figure it will hold up. iron liners
Old 10-21-2005, 07:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (93preludes)

i built an all motor A20a3 for my 88accord 2years ago. that model engine has a cast iorn block. o i had my machine shop bore the cylinders within 0.50 mm of the water jackets and press in iorn sleves. That motor makes power. never dynoed it tho. i give for iron sleves

Quick Reply: The monthly h22 MAHLE pistons thread..