Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Do I need to replace catalytic converter?

Old 10-13-2005, 08:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I need to replace catalytic converter?

I have Honda Accord 98, my Check Enngine Light is on.

I got this when we checked:
P0420 Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (bank1).

Do I really need to replace my catalytic converter?

Can it be only the oxygen censor?
How do we really know that it is actually oxygen censor or catalytic converter that is broken?

If I need to replace the catalytic converter, should I used the original part from Honda? My mechanic said that if I used aftermarket part, it will not last 3 weeks.. Is that true?

Thanks a lot.
Old 10-13-2005, 09:21 PM

Default Re: Do I need to replace catalytic converter? (nsutanto)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nsutanto &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Can it be only the oxygen censor? How do we really know that it is actually oxygen censor or catalytic converter that is broken?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I think the Oxygen sensor throws its own code, so that is probably not it. Have you noticed a degredation in the driveability of the car? When my cat went out I couldn't accellerate for **** and my top speed was like 45 or something close to that.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nsutanto &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My mechanic said that if I used aftermarket part, it will not last 3 weeks.. Is that true?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Let me guess, your mechanic works at a Honda dealership? I've used aftermarket universal cats in place of stock on a few of the vehicles I used to own and I never had any problems. I've never personally heard of people having problems with them anyway.

Even the aftermarket ones are kinda expensive though, because of all the precious metals used in them. If you see one for really cheap somewhere, it's probably just an empty shell that looks like a cat on the outside.
Old 10-13-2005, 10:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

With the OBD2b systems, the EFI system utilizes two O2 sensors. The first (exhaust manifold mounted) reads the primary readings of the exhaust. The second compares the first readings (from O2 #1) to the second O2 sensor mounted after the converter to determime converter efficiency. I suspect the #2 O2 sensor may be a little &^*%$.
But I'd wait for furthur opinions

P
Old 10-14-2005, 06:20 AM

Default Re: Do I need to replace catalytic converter? (ThagAnderson)

Well, I think my cat problem has been there for about 3-4 months, and I still have power on my car. I still can drive 80 on highway.

My mechanic is actually independent mechanic who specialize on Honda and Acura.

Do you know maybe what catalytic converter brand is good? Do you know a good website to shop around this?

Thank so much for your help.

Nicholas.
Old 10-14-2005, 06:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

As long as it's D.O.T. approved, use it.
Be wary of those super cheap "High Flow" Cats you see advertised on EBay. Most are no more than polished 'test pipes'.

Do a "GOOGLE!!!" search under "Catalytic Converter Honda Accord" and all manner of sourses should pop up.

P
Old 10-14-2005, 06:37 AM

Default Re: Do I need to replace catalytic converter? (P_Adams)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by P_Adams &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Be wary of those super cheap "High Flow" Cats you see advertised on EBay. Most are no more than polished 'test pipes'.</TD></TR></TABLE>
^^^That's good advice I bought an EBay "high flow cat" and it was a total waste of money.
Old 10-14-2005, 06:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

how many miles????????? honda upped their warranty on cats to 75k ....give them a call see if they can warranty it or help u out
Old 10-14-2005, 07:23 AM

Default Re: Do I need to replace catalytic converter? (deserthonda)

magnaflow high flow cat is good stuff. my friend has had his for about a year and still runnin like when new. plus, they are a reputable brand. ull spend around 150-200 for it tho.
Old 10-14-2005, 02:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Do I need to replace catalytic converter? (deserthonda)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by deserthonda &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">how many miles????????? honda upped their warranty on cats to 75k ....</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 10-14-2005, 08:08 PM

Default Re: Do I need to replace catalytic converter? (justjawshinya)

Damn this is the exact thing that happened to me I posted a topic about this last week... the EXACT same stuff... Im plannin on getting a Magna Flow cat when I get paid its around 150ish and up the Honda tech was going 2 charge like 250 for one of theirs and thats way out there especially when theres some much cheaper and reliable. the website im usin is http://www.andysautosport.com they have pretty much ever thing u need. i got aroung 88k miles on mine and its a 98 also hehe Ive been pushin that ride
Old 10-14-2005, 10:25 PM

I had the same problem with my 1998 Honda Accord EX. I took the car to an independent mechanic who could not reproduce problem after resetting the OBD unit. About six months later, the engine check light came on again, but this time the codes for both cat banks were logged in the OBD unit. At this point, I bought my own OBD reader so I could reset the OBD unit when the light came on.

I eventually had to take my car in for an annual inspection (annual inspections are required in Texas) and it failed the OBD readout test with defective cat codes for both banks. Since I had to get the car fixed to pass inspection, I took it to a Honda dealer who said my problem might be a defective cat but warned me that the problem would not necessarily be covered under the car's emissions warranty. The dealer determined that the cat was defective and replaced it under the EPA mandated emissions warranty which covers some key emissions control components, most notably catalytic converters, for 8 years or 80,000 miles. See http://www.epa.gov/otaq/consumer/warr95fs.txt
Old 10-14-2005, 10:40 PM

Default Re: Do I need to replace catalytic converter?

Thanks guys for the answers.

Well, my Honda is actually 85000 now.. which is 5000 miles above the warranty.
But I told the Honda dealer and begging them to get the extended warranty for me..
And it seems that I'll have 50/50 deal.. which is I'll pay 50% off.
And I'm still bargaining them to get the free cat and I'll just pay the labor..
I'll let you guys know about this news...

And yes, I reset the ecu, but it the cel is on again.. it happen twice..
And I went to trust independent honda dealer, and I really sure now that my cat need to be replaced, not the ox censor.

Old 10-15-2005, 05:20 AM

Your cat is bad.

Go to a muffler shop and have a cat put in. It will save you alot of $$$.