Wheel and Tire

how much pressure for low profile tires

Old 10-04-2005, 03:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how much pressure for low profile tires

i jus bought some rims and tires. had them mounted at les shwab. when i got home checkd the tire pressure and it was at 50psi. oh yea the tire size is 205/40/17 im pretty sure its a lil high. jus wondering what everyone uses.
Old 10-04-2005, 08:28 PM
H-T Order of Merit

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: how much pressure for low profile tires (phoshizzle88)

50 sounds WAY TOO HIGH.

The best level to set your pressures is what the manufacturer of your CAR recommends. Check your owner's manual; it may also be on the door jamb or the inside of the glove compartment door. The car recommendations are a good starting point. Then you can adjust if you find you need to, to correct the handling or any uneven wear pattern in the tires.

The pressure should be set when COLD, meaning that the car has not been sitting in the sun and the car has not been running for at least several hours - not right when you get home from a trip (to the tire store or anywhere else).

Also keep in mind that pressure varies due to temperature, about 1 psi for each 10 degrees F. For example, if you do most of your driving at 70 degrees F but you check your pressure first thing in the morning when it's 50 degrees F out, you may want to set it a couple pounds low, because it will regain those couple pounds as the temperatures warm up during the day.
Old 10-05-2005, 09:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the max pressure for your tire will on the sidewall of the tire. i would say go with 35 psi. its a good solid number to go with
Old 10-05-2005, 11:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i keep my tires around 33psi.
Old 10-05-2005, 12:21 PM

Default Re: how much pressure for low profile tires (nsxtasy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nsxtasy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">50 sounds WAY TOO HIGH.

The best level to set your pressures is what the manufacturer of your CAR recommends. Check your owner's manual; it may also be on the door jamb or the inside of the glove compartment door. The car recommendations are a good starting point. Then you can adjust if you find you need to, to correct the handling or any uneven wear pattern in the tires.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

WRONG NOT with aftermarket wheels and tires....
Old 10-05-2005, 04:49 PM

for the best wear i would run 40 psi
Old 10-12-2005, 12:19 PM
H-T Order of Merit

Default Re: how much pressure for low profile tires (ITR908)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nsxtasy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The best level to set your pressures is what the manufacturer of your CAR recommends. Check your owner's manual; it may also be on the door jamb or the inside of the glove compartment door. The car recommendations are a good starting point. Then you can adjust if you find you need to, to correct the handling or any uneven wear pattern in the tires.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ITR908 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">WRONG NOT with aftermarket wheels and tires....</TD></TR></TABLE>

YOU are wrong, and you are giving out bad advice.

Even with aftermarket wheels and tires, the best starting point is the car manufacturer's recommendations. Again, you can adjust if you need to do so, but the car manufacturer's recommendations are the best place to start, and much better than just taking a wild-*** guess.

Apparently you don't know very much about wheels and tires. If you don't know what you're talking about, you shouldn't post bad advice.
Old 10-14-2005, 09:15 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nsxtasy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

YOU are wrong, and you are giving out bad advice.

Even with aftermarket wheels and tires, the best starting point is the car manufacturer's recommendations. Again, you can adjust if you need to do so, but the car manufacturer's recommendations are the best place to start, and much better than just taking a wild-*** guess.

Apparently you don't know very much about wheels and tires. If you don't know what you're talking about, you shouldn't post bad advice.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

You shouldnt assume you know everyones background, apparently YOU dont understand that car manufacturer's recommendations are not best starting point for aftermarket tires and wheels.....Each tire manufacturer has its own pressure recommendation which is not stated on the tire itself.... I know since I worked for Discount Tire Co. There is a tire booklet which tells the installer the recommended PSI for each model and size...think about it.......if you put some 19's on a civic, would you put only 33psi since the car manufacturer's recommends it? so the best starting point is the TIRE manufacturer's recommendations, not the car .

Modified by ITR908 at 10:31 AM 10/14/2005
Old 10-14-2005, 10:29 AM
H-T Order of Merit

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ITR908 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if you put some 19's on a civic, would you put only 33psi since the car manufacturer's recommends it?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, absolutely - because the tire manufacturer has no idea how the car is set up, etc. Unless you're telling me that the tire manufacturer has a recommendation for every car model AND every tire AND every size tire AND every size wheel - so that they have a specific recommendation for a particular YEAR and MODEL and VERSION of Civic and WHEEL DIAMETER and WHEEL WIDTH and TIRE MODEL and TIRE SIZE - which means they have a friggin manual for just about every possible combination of all these factors - then whatever recommendation they make can't be any more specific than the car's manufacturer.

Besides, anyone putting 19's on a Civic has a whole lot more important problems to deal with than the tire pressure.
Old 10-14-2005, 10:46 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nsxtasy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Besides, anyone putting 19's on a Civic has a whole lot more important problems to deal with than the tire pressure.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

haha..true
Old 10-14-2005, 10:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With 245/45/17 Pirelli PZero Nero's, I run 39-41psi. If I drop down to manufacturer specs like you say, the handles like i'm driving in a mud hole, in addition to balooning out like a ****. 36 or below handles like ***, gives un-even wear, and looks terrible. But that's just my particular case...
Old 10-14-2005, 03:42 PM
H-T Order of Merit

Default Re: how much pressure for low profile tires (AFAccord)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AFAccord &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">With 245/45/17 Pirelli PZero Nero's, I run 39-41psi. If I drop down to manufacturer specs like you say, the handles like i'm driving in a mud hole, in addition to balooning out like a ****. 36 or below handles like ***, gives un-even wear, and looks terrible. But that's just my particular case... </TD></TR></TABLE>

As I mentioned earlier, the question really is about where to start with your pressures, and even that is just a recommendation. If you don't like the results you get with particular inflation settings (with your tires and your wheels on your car), feel free to change them and see if you get better results.

Incidentally, uneven wear can indicate underinflation OR overinflation. In general, if the center of the tread wears more rapidly than both outer edges, then the tires are overinflated; if both outer edges of the tread wear more rapidly than the center, then the tires are underinflated.

One other thing worth mentioning: For normal street and highway use, tire pressures should be measured cold (i.e. when the car has been sitting in the shade for several hours or more), at the ambient temperature when you do most of your driving. You can adjust the pressure for differences in temperature by 1 psi for each 10 degrees F.

It's quite possible that the first post which started this topic didn't follow this advice, since it mentions a pressure reading when he got home from the tire store. Depending on how hard you drive, tires that are warm from just being driven can increase pressures by 4-8 psi, and tires that are hot from the sun shining on them can also have pressures increase by 4-8 psi. That 50 psi reading might have been due to these factors rather than an actual cold reading...
Old 10-14-2005, 06:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how much pressure for low profile tires (AFAccord)

now here is a smart man
that is what you should have in your low pro tires.with the weight of the vehicle (assuming it's a civic) that air pressure will not only ride good it absorbs most normal size potholes.if you run to low pressure the sidewalls will crack or it will eat away at the inside of the tire.thus causing a blowout.hth

Shawn