Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

This, boys and girls, is what happens when your lower ball joint breaks *hi res pics*

Old 10-01-2005, 01:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This, boys and girls, is what happens when your lower ball joint breaks *hi res pics*

So me and my dad are changing the passenger side axel on my sisters 94 ex.

When I was breaking loose the lower ball joint I missed and hit the threads a little so the nut wasnt going back on when we were putting it all back together. So I head out to get a die to fix the threads.

When I come back my dad is like "um, its broke" so apparently he put it back together, without the nut on the bottom of the LBJ, and he moved the car, and stuff broke

the lower control arm obviously fell to the ground, causing the strut assembly to land on the axle, ripping the boot in half.

Whats odd, however, is that when I changed the passenger side axle on my integra, hardly any transmission fluid came out, but it GUSHED out on this car (pictured below) and the dipstick still showed that there was enough?

Anyways, be careful with your LBJ's guys

Modified by 90gs at 12:36 AM 10/2/2005
Old 10-01-2005, 01:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: This, boys and girls, is what happens when your lower ball joint breaks *hi res pics* (90gs)

man that sucks. usuaslly tranny fluid comes out when changing the axle, well atleast for me it does. any way sounds like murphy's law to me. hope everything works out!
Old 10-01-2005, 02:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: This, boys and girls, is what happens when your lower ball joint breaks *hi res pics* (philosofy

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by philosofy1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">man that sucks. usuaslly tranny fluid comes out when changing the axle, well atleast for me it does. any way sounds like murphy's law to me. hope everything works out! </TD></TR></TABLE>

is it supposed to GUSH out though? when i did my integra only a few drops came out, and i had just changed the fluid and topped it off less than a week before so i know it was full...

the first time i replaced it i got some piece of **** autozone axle and it was manufactured wrong and wasnt long enough and fell out of the transmission on the highway, and THAT gushed all over, which i can see, because the car was running and the tranny internals were too...
Old 10-01-2005, 02:06 PM

Default Re: This, boys and girls, is what happens when your lower ball joint breaks *hi res pics* (90gs)

god damn i hate that bolt

mine fell apart when i was driving once. fucked my fender and axle up.

that balljoint assembly is $70 from dealership
Old 10-01-2005, 03:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: This, boys and girls, is what happens when your lower ball joint breaks *hi res pics* (areyoujea

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by areyoujealous &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
god damn i hate that bolt

mine fell apart when i was driving once. fucked my fender and axle up.

that balljoint assembly is $70 from dealership</TD></TR></TABLE>

$70?

i bought 2 of them about a year ago for a different integra and it was $52 for each or somewhere in that range...

anyways, is there some reason it gushed more on a auto tranny than on the 5spd on the integra? (b series vs d series too...)
Old 10-01-2005, 04:08 PM

Default Re: This, boys and girls, is what happens when your lower ball joint breaks *hi res pics* (areyoujea

i bought one one year ago from o'reilly and it was only 35 bucks
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 90gs &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">$70?

i bought 2 of them about a year ago for a different integra and it was $52 for each or somewhere in that range...

anyways, is there some reason it gushed more on a auto tranny than on the 5spd on the integra? (b series vs d series too...)</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 10-01-2005, 04:12 PM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: This, boys and girls, is what happens when your lower ball joint breaks *hi res pics* (philosofy

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 90gs &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">is it supposed to GUSH out though? when i did my integra only a few drops came out, and i had just changed the fluid and topped it off less than a week before so i know it was full...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Is your Integra a manual? Also, the transmission fluid stays in the transmission if it's not tilted at an angle. If her car dropped an axleshaft and was laying on one side, a metric shitton of fluid would spill out.
Old 10-01-2005, 07:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Not so much the lower ball joint breaking as LCA not bolted to the ball joint. As a general rule, when it's a castle nut and a cotter pin it's an important piece!
Old 10-01-2005, 07:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

He moved the car while the LCA was seperated from the knuckle?! I wouldn't even lower my car off the jack when it's like that. It's common sense.
Old 10-01-2005, 09:43 PM

Default Re: This, boys and girls, is what happens when your lower ball joint breaks *hi res pics* (Kouki-EK9

yea I hate to say this but Your dad's a moron.
Old 10-01-2005, 10:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Falqon &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Not so much the lower ball joint breaking as LCA not bolted to the ball joint. As a general rule, when it's a castle nut and a cotter pin it's an important piece!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah the balljoint looks intact, looks like the castle nut fell off causing it to separate all the same. So wrong diagnosis, but still a big screwup.

Old 10-02-2005, 02:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

dont you just love it when your dad thinks he knows what he's doing.
Old 10-02-2005, 06:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: This, boys and girls, is what happens when your lower ball joint breaks *hi res pics* (underb00s

ya like my frient dad saying you can bolt up a B-series motor to a D-series tranny....
I just blew out laughing, mind you knowing he's a mech
Old 10-02-2005, 08:17 AM

Default Re: This, boys and girls, is what happens when your lower ball joint breaks *hi res pics* (underb00s

i dont really see anything bad, just a simple but costly mistake. That looks like an easy fix, if not, i sux
Old 10-02-2005, 08:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

man, most of your bushins look like sheit, you should consider changing them.
Old 10-02-2005, 09:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Archidictus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Is your Integra a manual? Also, the transmission fluid stays in the transmission if it's not tilted at an angle. If her car dropped an axleshaft and was laying on one side, a metric shitton of fluid would spill out.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 10-02-2005, 09:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i had tha same prob. wit my 93 teg i had
but didnt do that much damange
passanger side axle broke and it striped out the lbj and so i fix it by
putn a caslte nut on it and a thick cluper pin and it work jus fin
so i didnt worry nemore
Old 10-02-2005, 09:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

that happened when i was pushing my civic into paint it without motor.
it didnt mess anything up though.
Old 10-02-2005, 09:40 AM

The nut fell off the bottom of my friends integra once, when he was going around a turn. If that **** happened when he was going any faster he could have totaled his car. It just broke the axle, and messed up his fender cause the tire hit it.
Old 10-02-2005, 05:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: This, boys and girls, is what happens when your lower ball joint breaks *hi res pics* (Kouki-EK9

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Kouki-EK9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">He moved the car while the LCA was seperated from the knuckle?! I wouldn't even lower my car off the jack when it's like that. It's common sense.</TD></TR></TABLE>

it was 'together'... just not bolted. it was everything as it should be, minus there being the nut at the bottom of the LBJ.

he figured since there was weight on it unless there was a bump or something it wouldnt come apart
Old 10-02-2005, 05:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RockLee` &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i dont really see anything bad, just a simple but costly mistake. That looks like an easy fix, if not, i sux </TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah its a relatively easy fix.

lifetime warranty axles and rethread the lower ball joint...