Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Brake lamp warning light

Old 09-14-2001, 09:50 AM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake lamp warning light

Does anyone know how I can get this light to go off ? I have checked all the brake light bulbs and they are all good. When I start the car it is off, but once I press the brake pedal it comes back on.
Old 09-14-2001, 09:53 AM
New User

Default Re: Brake lamp warning light (88accord)

check your brake fluid levels
Old 09-16-2001, 03:36 PM
FXG
New User

I have the same problem with my `93 Accord. Brake fliud level is fine. All bulbs are lit. What could the problem be??
Could it be the sensor/switch that lights the warning light?

FXG
Old 09-17-2001, 03:53 AM
New User

Default Re: Brake lamp warning light (FXG)

do you use your e-brake alot? i have seen the sensor in that stick before when people crank up on it
Old 09-17-2001, 05:20 AM
New User

Default Re: Brake lamp warning light (urbanlegend21)

There is a separate light for the emergency brake. That one just says brake. The one I'm having a problem with is on the same display showing the doors being open.
Old 09-17-2001, 05:36 AM
New User

ahhhhh... you are right .. do you own a repair amnual for the car? I have one, because my girlfriend drives a 87 accord, I will look this evening and post from home what i find out, you also might want to check your fuses just to see
Old 09-17-2001, 06:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those are dual-filament bulbs, one for rear driving lights, the other for brake lights. Have you made sure all bulbs work with the with the driving/parking/head lights ON and then depressing the brake pedal to make sure all the bulbs get brighter? Might have something to do with the center high mount stop light (CHMSL) too.
Old 09-17-2001, 06:52 AM
New User

Default Re: Brake lamp warning light (4doorH22)

Good point Dave.... I remebered the dual filiment but forgot to say anything about that.
Old 09-17-2001, 01:32 PM
New User

Default Re: Brake lamp warning light (urbanlegend21)

I'll double check all the bulbs tonight. Hopefully it has something to do with the dual filaments. I'll post my results as soon as I get them. thanks guys.
Old 09-19-2001, 07:53 AM
New User

I actually found alot of info on this site, maybe there's something there for your problem. http://carpoint.msn.com/Vip/UsedSing...ccord/1992.asp
Old 09-20-2001, 10:11 AM
New User

Default Re: Brake lamp warning light (WIZARD)

Thanks, I'll check that out. I looked at all the bulbs and they look good, so I'm gonna have to look elsewhere.
Old 09-26-2001, 06:40 AM
New User

I have an 88 accord and i have the same problem. What I did was I disconnected the center stop lamp and wired up the LED's on my spoiler. I guess the spoiler lights use less amperage than the standard bulb and it tricks the car into thinking there is one less bulb. Thats just an idea. If I hook up the center lamp the light on the dash won't go on but the spoiler lights aren't as bright. So I just have the LED's hooked up and I live with that annoying red light. Maybe take apart the dash and cover that light with a thin strip of electrical tape. It won't look too ugly and it's better than that damn light shining in your face all the time, especially at night.
Old 09-18-2005, 06:01 PM

Default Re: Brake lamp warning light (embalmer101)

I have an 87 Accord Lxi with identical problem.
Kind of a gremlin.
Warning light comes on sometimes, not others, stays on most of the time.
All lights work.
Has there been any more discover on this issue?
Old 09-19-2005, 05:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Brake lamp warning light (Redicliff@honda-tech)

Does '87 have that brake LIGHT warning? I thought that feature didn't go back that far. It compares the electical power going to the brake lights, side-to-side. If they're unequal it sets off the warning light. So you can check a couple things...

It's possible to force a tail/brake light bulb in the socket backwards. Then the dimmer filament is connected to the brake lights, it won't match the other side. Maybe your bulb sockets are corroding, adding resistance to the circuit on one side. Maybe the sensor is just extra sensitive, & you can try replacing both bulbs so they match each other perfectly.

If the warning light just says 'brake', then it's the handbrake switch or the brake fluid level.
Old 09-19-2005, 02:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Brake lamp warning light (JimBlake)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JimBlake &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

It's possible to force a tail/brake light bulb in the socket backwards. Then the dimmer filament is connected to the brake lights, it won't match the other side. Maybe your bulb sockets are corroding, adding resistance to the circuit on one side.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Those are common causes that I see fairly often. If everything else checks out good, the brake light sensors ocasionally crap out causing the brake lamp light to stay on.
Old 09-25-2005, 07:45 PM

Default Re: Brake lamp warning light (Chiovnidca)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Chiovnidca &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Those are common causes that I see fairly often. If everything else checks out good, the brake light sensors ocasionally crap out causing the brake lamp light to stay on.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Jim Blake & Chiovnidca
I checked for reverse installation and squirted CorrosionX into all six sockets.
Should I also include the back window light? Does it effect the warning light?
I did this on two separate occasions: left light one day, right light another.
On both occasions, the immediate results was possitive.
That is, the "brake Lamp" warning light did not come on when I started the car.
Whoopee.
But, unfortunately, it did come on later, and is constant again now.

Is there a way to test which brake light sensor has failed?
I presume the brake light sensor is the small "box" in the tail light compartment.

I suppose I could also try changing all the bulbs.

Thank you for your help.
Cliff
Old 09-26-2005, 03:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Redicliff@honda-tech &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
squirted CorrosionX into all six sockets.
</TD></TR></TABLE>
Are the sockets corroded? If so that's probably your problem. They are very difficult to clean up, I usually recommend new sub harnesses.
Old 09-26-2005, 03:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Redicliff@honda-tech &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Is there a way to test which brake light sensor has failed?
I presume the brake light sensor is the small "box" in the tail light compartment.</TD></TR></TABLE>I thought there was only one sensor box; there's only one in our '98 Accord, inside one of the taillight housings.

Once a socket gets corroded, it'll never have the same plating that it had, so it's real hard to keep it clean in the future. Kinda hard to say what to do about it; I can't see it from here.
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Chiovnidca &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Are the sockets corroded? If so that's probably your problem. They are very difficult to clean up, I usually recommend new sub harnesses.</TD></TR></TABLE>That's probably the only FOR SURE way to fix it.
Old 09-28-2005, 02:21 PM

Default Re: Brake lamp warning light (JimBlake)

Well, color me embarassed.
I went back into the trunk to re-check all the sockets for corrosion
and low and behold found a lamp with broken filament.
Changed the Lamp.
Warning light goes out.
Was working as it should, and I feel a little silly.
Upside is, I serviced all the sockets.

BTW, Jim, the 87 Accord has a little box in both tail light compartments.

Thanks for the help on this one.
Old 11-23-2011, 01:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Brake lamp warning light

have 1992 accord lx w/ brake lamp light on at first..now all the door light indicators turn on after starting car and dims or flickers once in a while..any sugestions on how to fix problem..Thanks
Old 04-06-2013, 02:04 PM
Trial User

Have a 91 accord with a brake warning light that won't turn off. The brake fluid levels are fine and the strange thing is the warning light is dimly lit and when you pull the e brake the light illuminates even brighter so what can possibly be wrong?
Old 04-06-2013, 11:02 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Have someone press the brake and check all your brake lights. Should be one out.
Old 04-08-2013, 04:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jadyn Sloan
Have a 91 accord with a brake warning light that won't turn off. The brake fluid levels are fine and the strange thing is the warning light is dimly lit and when you pull the e brake the light illuminates even brighter so what can possibly be wrong?
Which "brake" light are we talking about....the is a car "icon" on the dash and when a door is open it shows that....so is there a "brake" light showing at the back of that icon......?

Or is this the plain old square light at the top of the gauge panel....like the oil or charge lights?

Holmes.....just a different read of the OP's post.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Guys, there's only one brake light on the dash. The other one is the brake lamp light behind the car symbol on the dash. The brake lamp light has nothing to do with the brakes.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:26 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

This thread was originally started in 01. I'm responding to the guy that brought it back up.

Originally Posted by Bad_dude
Guys, there's only one brake light on the dash. The other one is the brake lamp light behind the car symbol on the dash. The brake lamp light has nothing to do with the brakes.
This is completely incorrect. On my model, the EX, the brake lamp light comes on when, after pressing the brakes, the system detects there is a brake light out. Therefore, in order to figure out which brake lamp is out, you would need to press the brakes and have someone look to see which light is out.

If his problem is the ebrake light, I would first take off the console and see if the ebrake switch is hanging off.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brake lamp warning light