Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

What is the life expectancy of Honda Accord transmission? Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2005, 08:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is the life expectancy of Honda Accord transmission? Please help!

Does anybody know what is the life expectancy of Honda Accord transmission? Please help, thanks!
Old 09-11-2005, 08:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: What is the life expectancy of Honda Accord transmission? Please help! (aikohu)

Not really but all i know for sure is that Honda Automatic Transmissions arent the best in the world.
Old 09-11-2005, 09:42 PM

Default Re: What is the life expectancy of Honda Accord transmission? Please help! (NAiL05)

I am running on my second transmission right now, and have had it in the car for about 50,000 miles and it is starting to slip again.
I have a 97 LX. It is by far the worst part on the car, seeing that I have not had any other major problems with the car. There is 140,000 miles on the car.
Old 09-11-2005, 10:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

from reading people's problems and replacement, id say...you are lucky if you can get to 100k but it is around 60-80k.
Old 09-11-2005, 11:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What is the life expectancy of Honda Accord transmission? Please help! (aikohu)

i have a 97 Se auto, and about 151k miles, and i think it is just starting to slip a little but not to sure.
Old 09-12-2005, 07:39 AM
Me Gusta History

Default Re: What is the life expectancy of Honda Accord transmission? Please help! (Honda_Accord)

i've got a 2000 SE (auto) and i'm on my 2nd tranny and i'm at 45k.
Old 09-12-2005, 09:56 AM

Default Re: What is the life expectancy of Honda Accord transmission? Please help! (accordselux)

The transmissions are a crapshoot. I have an 02 V6 and i replaced my trans at 54k.... it wasn't slipping, but the shift quality wasn't what i liked. I work for Honda, so I can kind of do whatever i like to my car under warranty... even if my warranty has expired. As for the others though, I have seen them last well past 100k, and I have seen them fail at less than 20k.... Honda was never really clear about the exact cause of the failures. They said that the 4cyl trannies would wear the carrier bearings out because they were designed too thin... better for fuel economy, worse for durability. They say the V6's have 2nd gear clutch problems. As for the late models... I have done trans' on 04 v6's and all the odyssey's except the 05's. I personaly think there are two problems. The vehicles have gotten more powerful, and bigger, and the basic design of the trans has remained the same. Also, the trans problems showed up right about the time they started manufacturing them in the great 'ol USA. I'm as patriotic as anyone, but American quality is not on par with Japanese quality. Honda has strived to fix this... and this past year broke ground on "Honda Precision Parts" a factory with the sole purpose of building automatic transmissions. Hopefully the quality will improve, but then again... I make a lot of money swapping transmissions out.... so maybe thay wont. As for the rebuilt A/T's... they are supossed to have all of the issues addressed and they are changed somewhat to prevent future failure... good luck to all of yoy that have replacement transmissions out there.
Old 09-12-2005, 12:21 PM

Default Re: What is the life expectancy of Honda Accord transmission? Please help! (HondaTechPro)

my 93 se has 195k on it and the tranny is ok, not the best but its still ok for know
Old 09-12-2005, 12:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It all depends on how you drive. I have 4 accords in the yard. The
'88 has 228,000 miles on it (and is still on it's original transmission (Auto))
'97 has 198.000 miles on it (and is still on it's original transmission (Auto))
'97 has 157,000 miles on it (and is still on it's original transmission (Auto))
'96 has 182,400 miles on it (and is still on it's original transmission (Auto))

If you don't beat on it, it will give good service.

5 Spd's are prone to funking up if you run any lubricants other than what's recommended. Thicker weight lubricants appear to starve the 5th gear cluster of lubrication, leading to gear wear.

P

edited for clarity

Modified by P_Adams at 5:58 AM 9/13/2005
Old 09-12-2005, 04:49 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

137+ k on my 1994 and my friend had 89 with 187k on it before the tranny died cause she let it empty out. Another friend has a jap accord with over 169K on the auto tranny
Old 09-12-2005, 04:57 PM

is there any official website that tells you what is the range of life expentancy of honda accord transmission?
Old 09-12-2005, 05:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

This is about as "Official" as it gets.

You've got to be "...... challenged" if you think you're going to find some blogger out there garnering failure statistics about tranny's

Here's something for the "original thinking" file folder:
Try a search at "consumer reports" or pray that "Car & Driver" did a long term (really long term) road test.

P

edited for spelling, duh

Modified by P_Adams at 6:00 AM 9/13/2005
Old 09-12-2005, 05:19 PM

Default Re: What is the life expectancy of Honda Accord transmission? Please help! (P_Adams)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by P_Adams &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Try a search at "consumer reports" or pray that "Car & Driver" did a long term (really long term) road test.</TD></TR></TABLE>

LOL I seriously doubt that you will find something like that.

There are way to many variables that you must take into consideration.

Such as

-Driving habits
-Fluid change intervals
-Climate that you live in
-What kind of driving you mainly do (city/highway)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by P_Adams &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">This is about as "Official" as it gets.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I totally agree with that comment. As far as my driving style goes, I am mainly on the highway, and I drive my car very hard all the time (its too slow not to ).
Old 09-14-2005, 07:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What is the life expectancy of Honda Accord transmission? Please help! (ricerocketdave)

I have 287,000 on my original trans on my 94 accord. Feels like the converter is starting to unlock sometimes. Been fortunate that its still going!!!
Old 09-14-2005, 08:47 AM
Me Gusta History

Default Re: What is the life expectancy of Honda Accord transmission? Please help! (ricerocketdave)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ricerocketdave &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

LOL I seriously doubt that you will find something like that.

There are way to many variables that you must take into consideration.

Such as

-Driving habits
-Fluid change intervals
-Climate that you live in
-What kind of driving you mainly do (city/highway)</TD></TR></TABLE>

thats's the thing

-I dont drive hard, no neutral drops. I'm more conservative now than I used to be
- I changed tranny fluid 5k before service was recommended, and it went out 3k AFTER the new fluid
-Michigan, hot summer cold winter
-mostly even, city and highway, nto too much stop and go traffic.
Old 09-14-2005, 09:11 AM

i got 190 K on my original tranny (auto) and still going.... 96 EX
Old 09-14-2005, 09:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What is the life expectancy of Honda Accord transmission? Please help! (HondaTechPro)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HondaTechPro &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Also, the trans problems showed up right about the time they started manufacturing them in the great 'ol USA. I'm as patriotic as anyone, but American quality is not on par with Japanese quality. Honda has strived to fix this... and this past year broke ground on "Honda Precision Parts" a factory with the sole purpose of building automatic transmissions. </TD></TR></TABLE>

So you're saying Japanese (suzuka) built trannies are generally more reliable of ANY year?

ie 1994 / 1998 / 2002 ? As long as the tranny came out of Japan?
Old 09-14-2005, 10:22 AM

what gen?

i have a 6 gen and it went out at 80,000 miles.
I know several people who have 6gen's and have went out up to 3 times already. They truly suck!
Old 09-28-2005, 12:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What is the life expectancy of Honda Accord transmission? Please help! (RotaryBzzzz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RotaryBzzzz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So you're saying Japanese (suzuka) built trannies are generally more reliable of ANY year?

ie 1994 / 1998 / 2002 ? As long as the tranny came out of Japan?</TD></TR></TABLE>

bumpage. Inquiring minds want to know.
Old 09-28-2005, 06:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: What is the life expectancy of Honda Accord transmission? Please help! (RotaryBzzzz)

Off topic... 90 Accord w/5spd, 348,000miles, on the second clutch, but no other problems to mention.

EDIT: original clutch lasted till 266,000miles
Old 09-28-2005, 08:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What is the life expectancy of Honda Accord transmission? Please help! (AFAccord)

I bought my 95 accord wagon f22b1 auto in 10/99 with 54544 on it. I drove that thing like the indy 500 24/7. I did D3 downshifts and some more stuff. I even power slid around corners after I upgraded the suspension. I beat that tranny like it owed me money. It finally gave up the ghost on 09/04 in which case I gave my car an auto to manny swap. I think a major contributing factor in my tranny giving up on me was the fact that once I somehow got a hole in the hose that runs to the radiator and all the fluid ran out. I fixed it and it happened again a couple of months later. Before I swapped it out it was not trying to shift sometimes and even came out of gear in some instances where I had to throw it into neutral and back into D4. I think I got about a good 125,000 of hard driving out of it. But to it's defense, that tranny took a crucial beating from me.
Old 09-29-2005, 05:38 PM

In a VERY general way.... yes. However, I have seen both fail. I will admit that the USA made transmissions seem to fail more often, but I don't know if that can be attributed to there being more US ones in this area or what.
Old 09-29-2005, 06:01 PM

I have a '94 EX 5spd with 198k+ miles and it's on it's second clutch. Other than the cluth, not a thing on the tranny has been touched. I just bought it a few thousand miles ago, and I seriously doubt the fluid has ever even been changed. Not knowing the guy that owned it before me anyway.
Old 09-29-2005, 08:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What is the life expectancy of Honda Accord transmission? Please help! (94JadeAccord)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 94JadeAccord &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have 287,000 on my original trans on my 94 accord. Feels like the converter is starting to unlock sometimes. Been fortunate that its still going!!! </TD></TR></TABLE>

Wow thats amazing, I hope my 94 holds up that long...that would be great.
Old 09-30-2005, 07:49 AM

how do you repair a slipping transmission.... is it too late if you can already feel it slipping? does it need right away replacement? last place i want to find out is on the highway... but in low gears (usually from park to reverse and then into drive) you can feel a tiny slip between gears. it doesnt necessarily feel like its giving way though. the fluid needs changing desperately, dont know if that is the main problem but it will be flushed and filled this weekend.

Quick Reply: What is the life expectancy of Honda Accord transmission? Please help!