Notices

What are symptoms of a faulty gas cap?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2005, 08:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are symptoms of a faulty gas cap?

Can someone answer that question as to what the symptoms are or what a faulty gas cap does to performance on a motor..

Im still using the original gas cap and Im also having some issues with my D16A6 motor running rich.

Note that the two issues above are not combined as some idiots are quick to point out. These are two seperate questions

Ive checked all my vacumn lines (even replaced ), ive gone through 3 new O2 sensors (swapped them out to test) oh and timing too

And Im still running rich which trips my check engine light.

So can anyone help me out?
Mig

Modified by Silver_Rex at 2:00 PM 9/11/2005
Old 09-09-2005, 09:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What are symptoms of a faulty gas cap? (Silver_Rex)

GAS cap to cause Rich? I find that impossible.
Old 09-09-2005, 10:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Silver_Rex &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Im still running on original gas cap and I have been having some issues with my D16A6 motor running rich.
Mig
</TD></TR></TABLE>

You're on dope, son...
Old 09-09-2005, 10:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What are symptoms of a faulty gas cap? (LaFawnduh)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LaFawnduh &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">GAS cap to cause Rich? I find that impossible.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Guys.. I didnt say the gas cap was the cause of me running rich..

I said Im running rich and Im trying to track down the problems... Hence I said what are the symptoms...

Damn.. before the crx/civic forum "used" to be helpful but Ive noticed more and more that people just want to talk sh*t or put you down. Whats the point of asking an honest question if thats all the responces im going to get..

Either help me answer my question or just leave it alone.

Old 09-09-2005, 10:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Silver_Rex &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Damn.. before the crx/civic forum "used" to be helpful but Ive noticed more and more that people just want to talk sh*t or put you down. Whats the point of asking an honest question if thats all the responces im going to get..
</TD></TR></TABLE>

yea ive noticed this to ....alot of people just talk **** nowadays...its really starting to ruin honda-tech
Old 09-09-2005, 10:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default )

you said the check engine light comes on....what code are you throwing??? Theres only so many things that can make you run rich...and does your computer have a chip or an afc hooked up?
Old 09-09-2005, 11:32 PM
Needs to be About 20% Cooler

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Silver_Rex &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Damn.. before the crx/civic forum "used" to be helpful but Ive noticed more and more that people just want to talk sh*t or put you down. Whats the point of asking an honest question if thats all the responces im going to get..</TD></TR></TABLE>

amen brother. evreytime i post a question i get flamed for not havving a B16 in there.

Old 09-09-2005, 11:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ) (hotimportcrx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hotimportcrx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you said the check engine light comes on....what code are you throwing??? Theres only so many things that can make you run rich...and does your computer have a chip or an afc hooked up?</TD></TR></TABLE>

All stock ECU PM6 and D16A6.. (Running a DC Header & AEM CAI)
Its throwing up a CEL for the O2 Sensor.. whats odd is that the CEL doesnt come on till like 15+ mins of freeway driving or when im driving on the street and using the motor to brake (down shifting).

Ive tried 2 different map sensors also.

Mig

Old 09-10-2005, 07:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ) (Silver_Rex)

i had the same problem and the ecu was my problem it was a pm6 so i just swapped for a pr4...no more code
Old 09-10-2005, 09:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ) (b18_crx)

Hmm might have to look into that....

So does anyone know what the symptoms are for a faulty gas cap?

Mig
Old 09-10-2005, 10:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Silver_Rex &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Can someone answer that question as to what the symptoms are or what a faulty gas cap does to performance on a motor..

Im still running on original gas cap and I have been having some issues with my D16A6 motor running rich.

Ive checked all my vacumn lines (even replaced ), ive gone through 3 new O2 sensors (swapped them out to test) oh and timing too

Mig</TD></TR></TABLE>

You said it, not me. what the hell does the gas cap have to do with running rich?

nothing, EXACTLY. Why did you even say it? Quit posting stupid ****?
Old 09-10-2005, 12:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Silver_Rex &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Can someone answer that question as to what the symptoms are or what a faulty gas cap does to performance on a motor..

</TD></TR></TABLE>
The only performance problems i've ever seen caused by a gas cap is from water in the fuel. But that usually caused by a missing gas cap.

</TD></TR></TABLE>
What trouble code does it have stored?
Old 09-10-2005, 01:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LaFawnduh &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

You said it, not me. what the hell does the gas cap have to do with running rich?

nothing, EXACTLY. Why did you even say it? Quit posting stupid ****?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Im not even going to waste me time with you.. I asked a general question for SYMPTOMS not the cause or was that not obvious? Im trying to elminate all possible areas with my motor INCLUDING Asking about the gas cap.Instead of being an ******* about it, just help me out by pointing me in the right direction..

Besides You don't need to berate me to get your point across, thats just showing how selfish and immature you are. (prove me wrong)

Nuff said
Old 09-10-2005, 03:51 PM

</TD></TR></TABLE>

i dido that...

as for your problem, i would guess, sticking injector, or maybe a clogged PCV?

EDIT: just thought of something else, a canister thats is continuously purging.
Old 09-10-2005, 04:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What are symptoms of a faulty gas cap? (mrtoastyjr)

Worst case scenerio is a failed emissions test. But usually a symptom is alot of vapor release upon opening of the cap. That usually goes in conjunction of a bad or improperly hooked up charcoal/evap canister, which releases or eases the pressure.

I believe the ED/EF's use a different type of cap which actually is a non-vented type (when I took emissions here in WA, they didnt even test it because they said they didnt test this type of cap). I know mine is like that, and I was not able to find a vented cap for my car upon looking.
Old 09-10-2005, 06:36 PM
Pirate General...YARRRR

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: What are symptoms of a faulty gas cap? (Dieselboys MK3)

only thing i've ever heard of it doing is gas evap from faulty/missing gas cap. I don't think it is realated.

Old 09-10-2005, 07:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Silver_Rex &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Im not even going to waste me time with you.. I asked a general question for SYMPTOMS not the cause or was that not obvious? Im trying to elminate all possible areas with my motor INCLUDING Asking about the gas cap.Instead of being an ******* about it, just help me out by pointing me in the right direction..

Besides You don't need to berate me to get your point across, thats just showing how selfish and immature you are. (prove me wrong)

Nuff said</TD></TR></TABLE>

BWHAHAHAHA, im not going to WASTE time with YOU. Im not going to type a paragraph like you did.

Nuff Said.
Old 09-10-2005, 09:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LaFawnduh &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

BWHAHAHAHA, im not going to WASTE time with YOU. Im not going to type a paragraph like you did.

Nuff Said.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks for proving me right your just an immature child..
Old 09-10-2005, 09:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What are symptoms of a faulty gas cap? (Dieselboys MK3)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dieselboys MK3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Worst case scenerio is a failed emissions test. But usually a symptom is alot of vapor release upon opening of the cap. That usually goes in conjunction of a bad or improperly hooked up charcoal/evap canister, which releases or eases the pressure.

I believe the ED/EF's use a different type of cap which actually is a non-vented type (when I took emissions here in WA, they didnt even test it because they said they didnt test this type of cap). I know mine is like that, and I was not able to find a vented cap for my car upon looking.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ok Thanks for the heads up.. Ill look into that when I get a chance..

So what you are saying is the vapor released in the form of pressure when you open the gas cap? Because if so I do get or hear alot when I open it up to put gas.

Mig
Old 09-11-2005, 12:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

that gas cap/running rich statement was worthy of being a quote in someone's sig. i can' t fit another one though.
Old 09-11-2005, 04:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (c for sea)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by c for sea &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">that gas cap/running rich statement was worthy of being a quote in someone's sig. i can' t fit another one though.</TD></TR></TABLE>

bwahahaha, WAY ahead of ya dude.
Old 09-12-2005, 07:57 AM

Default Re: (LaFawnduh)

If you read the paragraph closley, you will see that there was an "and" separating the 2 questions. Quit messing with people.
Old 09-12-2005, 08:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If your gas cap is leaking, buy a new one. They're $5. Even if you suspect its leaking, just buy a new one.

Leaking gas cap can cause bad mpg.
A vehicle with a bad cap can lose about a gallon of gasoline every two weeks during the summer months. Gas costing what it does these days, that can add up.

Besides, the economic expense, there is the environmental one...those vapors are going someplace. Most people will be like "eh, who cares?" Ask a Cali enthusiast how they like getting their car to REF for smog or BAR. If **** doesn't improve that hassle will spread to more places.
A sniffer emissions test just started locally. So for you tools not running cats or w/poorly tuned swaps or whatever else makes for gross polluters...your actions are affecting me directly.

And lastly, if you get in an accident, it's a lot easier for gas to escape from any leaky points on a tank and start a fire. As you're pinned in your car and a fire starts, the new $5 gas cap is going to seem like it would have been a really good idea.
And nobody, no matter how good of a driver, can say they won't eventually be in some kind of an accident. Whether its serious or not, why risk it?