Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Clutch pedal has no pressure and i cant get into gear, Whats wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2005, 01:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch pedal has no pressure and i cant get into gear, Whats wrong?

ok while i was driving. i had the clutch engaged while coming to a stop. suddenly the clutch lost pressure and the car died. now the clutch pedal has no pressure and i cant get into any gear. ive been hearing master cylinder. but what do you guys think? 2000 accord coupe lx
Old 08-30-2005, 02:15 PM

check by the pedal to see if you have fluid inside the car, thats an indication of the master cylinder, check if there is fluid in the reservoir, check if there is fluid around the slave cylinder, check if there is fluid on the hose from reservoir to the master cylinder, those are a few probably causes.
Old 08-30-2005, 02:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (di3go)

I had trouble getting into gears. I was thinking at first "great, my clutch is going out." I took a look at the master cylinder...low on fluid. I put DOT3 BRAKE FLUID in and it shifted fine. If you're just low on fluid, don't fall into the trap I almost did. I found in an auto parts store a bottle of clutch fluid. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY! Those bottles are smaller and more expensive. Normal DOT3 or 4 brake fluid works fine.
Old 08-30-2005, 02:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (MestizoRacer310)

either your master cylinder is bad, the slave is bad, or theres a leak in the line. try bleeding it...if you can't get it to bleed, the master cylinder is shot. otherwise, you'll find where its leaking from.

just recently, and O ring went on my slave cylinder, causing it to leaking around the rubber boot that surrounds the fork actuator ram
Old 08-30-2005, 06:13 PM

Default Re: (fw190bvi)

is there an o-ring by the master cylinder also? mine lost all its fluid in one day to the inside of the car, by the pedal, I refilled it and its working fine right now. any idea on that fw190?
Old 08-30-2005, 06:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (di3go)

im not sure...ive never taken the master cylinder apart. if you bled it, and refilled it, it should be fine for awhile...if you can, everytime you leave the car for a while, get under and look for dripps coming from either the area of the tranny case or drivers side firewall
Old 08-30-2005, 06:47 PM

alright, I'll check my master cylinder spare that I have sitting in the car, appreciated bro
Old 08-31-2005, 08:09 AM

Default Re: Clutch pedal has no pressure and i cant get into gear, Whats wrong? (DeViuS)

IF you have to get a new master or slave cylinder, please get an OEM part from a HOnda dealer, dont' waste money on one from the auto parts store. I had an '86 Chevy Nova/Corolla and went through 4 master clutch cylinders because after market parts are just junk, at least for clutch cylinders they are.
Old 08-31-2005, 08:47 AM

Default Re: Clutch pedal has no pressure and i cant get into gear, Whats wrong? (Gen_X_Accord)

Just some things to keep in mind... it is not normal for a clutch system to "use" fluid. The level will drop some as the clutch wears, but it should never run out. If it does run out, then there is certainly a leak. Most likely it is an internal leak inside the master cylinder... meaning you won't see fluif leaking anywhere, but the seal has failed. Kind of the same way if a strut goes bad... it gets realy soft but doesn't usually leak the oil out. I would recommend replacing the clutch master cylinder AND slave cylinder as a pair. The cost is reasonable, and you don't want to have to do it twice. OEM parts.
Old 09-01-2005, 01:32 PM

MestizoRacer310 kills me.... I bet tech pro backs me up on this... same thing happens with brakes: As the system gets old and people begin to clutch in ALL the way, the junk that gathers in the master cylinder destroys the seal. Once it begins to leak, thats it.... Its done. The rest of the damage is up to you!! As Racer said, all you need to do is add DOT 3 (not DOT 4, read the cap) and it'll be fine... ... except the fluid will be leaking from the master cylinder down into the driver footwell. Anyone know what brake fluid does to metal? Flinestones anyone?
While refilling the clutch resivoir will get you down the road, it wont fix the leak. You prolly should look at replacing the master cylinder if you see the leak near the clutch pedal.

Oh ya... I have 2 accords... a 94 and 95 and both had this prob.

Old 09-01-2005, 02:19 PM

Default Re: (wbread99)

Mostly very true... just to add to it... if you need to add fluid, it's leaking. Leaks don't fix themselves.... it will only get worse until it gets to the point you CAN't get it in any gear... then you'll have to pay a tow truck to get to the shop, or be without a car until you can find time to fix it.
Old 09-02-2005, 06:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (HondaTechPro)

Yeah you guys are all right. My buddy and I defeated the whole purpose of bleeding his brakes when the master cylinder seals got torn apart by corrosion. From now on I hook up a vaccuum hose to the bleeder and run it into a cup of fluid so it bubbles out and I don't have to pump it all the way.

Make sure you follow the clutch line too, its pretty easy to follow and does have a rubber hose in a couple spots if I remember correctly.

Thanks for the heads up on aftermarket parts too, I'll have to keep that in mind. I know I definitely regret not keeping a honda water pump, the rebuild runs a tad hotter than the OEM.
Old 09-02-2005, 08:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (wbread99)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wbread99 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">While refilling the clutch resivoir will get you down the road, it wont fix the leak. You prolly should look at replacing the master cylinder if you see the leak near the clutch pedal.

Oh ya... I have 2 accords... a 94 and 95 and both had this prob.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Funny thing is this..........the fluid has not dropped at all since I put more in. Hasn't gone low at all. I added the fluid quite awhile ago and I've been monitoring it ever since then.
Old 09-11-2005, 12:15 PM

I have a prelude, but this same problem, happened overnight. I checked near the pedal and no sign of fluid as if there was a leak, and the resivior has fluid in it. If there was a leak should the resivior be empty? Thats all i have checked ATM. Do you think it still might be my MC or SC? Any ideas? Thanks a lot.
Old 02-17-2021, 11:32 AM
Trial User

Icon4 Re: Clutch pedal has no pressure and i cant get into gear, Whats wrong?

This happened to me today, was driving great last night and after warming up my e30 this morning the clutch was soft and i couldnt put it in gear, even though it was working flawless yesterday (no puddle in sight, only a like 5 drops on the ground)
Old 02-17-2021, 11:33 AM
Trial User

could be air in the hydraulic system