Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Need a new starter?

Old 07-25-2005, 09:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Need a new starter?

My car has exhibited some trouble starting at somewhat random times over the past couple of months, but in the past week or two it's become pretty regular, like pretty much every morning, and other times, as well.

When I turn the key to start the car, all I get is a click. Sometimes it takes several tries, and then finally it will start, no problem. When it finally does start, it's not slow to start at all (not like a drained battery). It will start just fine, it just takes several tries turning the key to get it to finally start.

So I'm thinking I need a new starter. I'm still on the original starter at nearly 210K miles. Where would you all suggest I get a starter, probably remanufactured, preferably OEM (Denso I think)? Should I get one from a local store like AutoZone or Advance or NAPA, or should I get one from an online retailer?
Old 07-25-2005, 09:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Need a new starter? (PatrickGSR94)

i would go ahead and get one from autozone. the duralast have a ltd lifetime warranty.
it'll probably be around 150 bucks and i'm sure you could find a used one for a lot cheaper, but it won't come with any warranty.
Old 07-25-2005, 09:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need a new starter? (LSvtec03)

dang that's not too much less than brand new... Acuraparts247.com has them new for $225.
Old 07-25-2005, 10:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

a buddy of mine is selling one https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1318776
Old 07-25-2005, 10:11 AM

Default Re: Need a new starter? (LSvtec03)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LSvtec03 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i would go ahead and get one from autozone. the duralast have a ltd lifetime warranty.
it'll probably be around 150 bucks and i'm sure you could find a used one for a lot cheaper, but it won't come with any warranty. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Pull out your starter and take it to autozone, kragen, places of such, and they can test it for you free of charge. Takes just a few seconds.

I'd go with a new one instead of a remanufactured.
Old 07-25-2005, 10:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need a new starter? (5 Speed Dc2)

ya definately the starter...you can usually find a used one for around 50 bucks, id check a junkyard and pull it from there.
Old 07-25-2005, 10:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well if it's so easy to get off the car, then I might as well get a reman. one with lifetime warranty. If it ever goes bad I'll just pick up another one for free.
Old 07-25-2005, 10:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 5 Speed Dc2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Pull out your starter and take it to autozone, kragen, places of such, and they can test it for you free of charge. Takes just a few seconds.

I'd go with a new one instead of a remanufactured.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 07-25-2005, 10:27 AM
BSQ
Honda-Tech Member

Instead of purchasing a rebuilt starter (~$135), you can rebuild your starter for less than $20. The part that wear out in the starter are the copper contact points. Honda does not sell the contact points, BUT Toyota does. Honda starters are made by Nippondenso and so are Toytota (as well as other manufactures). Toyota sells the contact points in a starter rebuild kit. The parts that you will need are 28226-74070 ($11.89) and 28226-64370 ($6.32). These Toyota starter parts are identical to the Honda starter parts.

If you can remove your starter, you can replace the starter contact points. You should also clean the plunger magnet switch with some sand paper (see photos below).

Here is a picture of the Toyota parts.

Here is a picture of the new Toyota parts installed.

Here is a picture of the plunger switch before being cleaned.

Here is a picture of the plunger switch after being cleaned.
Old 07-25-2005, 11:41 AM
Abusing my rights one day at a time.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Need a new starter? (BSQ)

^^^very nice info

PS - I bought one here on H-T for $20

Patrick, my car did EXACTLY what you are talking about.......some weeks it was fines, others it took 10-30 clicks before starting. It def. is your starter or your starter solenoid, but they should come together so it doesn't make a difference. If you want to check if it's just your solenoid, PM and I will tell you how.

Old 07-25-2005, 11:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When my starter went out, I had to buy a new one. I went to napa though and asked the guy about rebuilding my starter and he said you can't do it so I just went ahead and spent over 200 on a new starter. Oh well, I needed one bad so I just went ahead with it.
Old 07-25-2005, 11:57 AM

Yeah sounds like the problem my LS400 had.

Would just make a "ClicK" nothing else...became more regular as time went by. Lexus told me it was the starter...$950
Old 07-25-2005, 12:28 PM

Default Re: (DanMan1464)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by xteg01 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ya definately the starter</TD></TR></TABLE>

In the mean time give the starter a couple of taps with a spanner or something. This usually solves the problem for a while.
Old 07-25-2005, 02:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need a new starter? (BSQ)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BSQ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Instead of purchasing a rebuilt starter (~$135), you can rebuild your starter for less than $20. The part that wear out in the starter are the copper contact points. Honda does not sell the contact points, BUT Toyota does. Honda starters are made by Nippondenso and so are Toytota (as well as other manufactures). Toyota sells the contact points in a starter rebuild kit. The parts that you will need are 28226-74070 ($11.89) and 28226-64370 ($6.32). These Toyota starter parts are identical to the Honda starter parts.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Man that's cool, thanks. Do Toyota dealers usually stock this stuff or will I have to order and wait for it to come in?
Old 07-25-2005, 06:39 PM
BSQ
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PatrickGSR94 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Man that's cool, thanks. Do Toyota dealers usually stock this stuff or will I have to order and wait for it to come in?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I called 2 Toyota dealerships when I was looking for the parts and they both said that they stocked the parts.

BTW, I replaced the starter contact points back in February and since then I haven't had any issues with the starter (ie. "clicking" noise). My car starts on the 1st turn of the key now.
Old 07-25-2005, 06:44 PM
Imperious: Mod of Valor

Definitely sounds like the starter to me, I would spend the couple extra bucks and get the one from Acura, although does it have a warranty on it?
Old 07-25-2005, 09:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need a new starter? (JDM-EJ1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM-EJ1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Definitely sounds like the starter to me, I would spend the couple extra bucks and get the one from Acura, although does it have a warranty on it?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Couple? hmmm $225 vs. $20... think I'll rebuild mine myself.

Thanks everyone.
Old 07-25-2005, 10:56 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BSQ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Instead of purchasing a rebuilt starter (~$135), you can rebuild your starter for less than $20. The part that wear out in the starter are the copper contact points. Honda does not sell the contact points, BUT Toyota does. Honda starters are made by Nippondenso and so are Toytota (as well as other manufactures). Toyota sells the contact points in a starter rebuild kit. The parts that you will need are 28226-74070 ($11.89) and 28226-64370 ($6.32). These Toyota starter parts are identical to the Honda starter parts.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I was reading about this on T-I.net but didn't see any pics of people who actually did it. I have the same problem with my starter, it happens at the most random times
Old 07-26-2005, 05:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Look at the PICS that were posted for the Toyota starter, this is a famous pattern failure and is easy to fix at home, one of the two L shoped copper contacts gets papper thin and doesnt make contact very well with the round plunger to transfer power to the starter motor itself.

Here in JDM Land, the Toyota Ace family vans have this problem serious like on these gear reduction type starters, DIY and save big, an hour in and out tops.
Old 07-26-2005, 05:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Need a new starter? (Duane_in_Japan)

See how the contact on the left is half moon shapped, this is the one to go bad, this is where the power comes in from the battery, it always wears out first, if you buy a kit that is not exactly the correct one you may need to modify the copper contact so that it does not come too close to the large round opening for the plunger, it will short out against the solenoid housing hole just on the edge of the red paper.

Make sure the L contact is all the way down against the red paper when tightening it down snug. There is probably a piece of white paper in the kit, sometimes you wont see the old one, its covered with dust and dirt, scrape it out and pay attention how it is installed, this is insulating paper.
Old 07-26-2005, 09:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need a new starter? (Duane_in_Japan)

cool man thanks for the pointers
Old 07-26-2005, 10:22 AM

Yes, I agree with BSQ. I've had to do this on Toyota starters. It is usually just 2 copper contacts. You can sometimes get them at alternator shops for $5 - $10 and avoid waiting for Honda to get them for $20-30. They are probbaly worth 25-50 cents. I would call a reliable alternator shop. They should be able to take careof you quickly. Anyway it takes about 15-30 minutes to disassemble the alternator and put the new contacts in. Basically these contacts function as th ebrushes of a DC motor. Your starter is typically a 1 KW DC motor. Good luck all. Save yourself hundreds of dollars!!!!!!!!!

PS It is normal for these contacts to wear out after 100K-200K miles on the car.
Old 08-03-2005, 09:59 PM

Default Re: Need a new starter? (chrisnova)

I just put the new toyota contacts in my starter and am still having the same problem. There is a 1 click from the starter, just like before. Is it the starter solenoid?

should I even bother running the tests in the helms, or just get a new starter?
Old 08-04-2005, 03:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need a new starter? (BolivianDc2)

Dang that sucks.... I just replaced the ones in mine the other night and it's working great.
Old 08-11-2005, 09:57 AM

did you have to do any modifications to the toyota connectors at all when you installed them? I'm looking at having to do this myself also, but wasn't sure if I should or not or just go buy a new starter. Let me know if you had to do any other work like sanding anything else down ... etc....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need a new starter?