Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

engine turns over too fast when starting

Old 06-27-2005, 02:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine turns over too fast when starting

This is a weird one, I was curious to know if anyone here had experienced this. I noticed this morning that my CRVtec swap is turning over much faster than it usually does when I went out to start it. I haven't changed anything on the car, its no different than it was yesterday but the starter sounds like its turning the motor over twice as fast as it used to. The car starts OK, doesn't smoke or burn oil, and has plenty of power. I'm a little worried about this because the only thing I can think of that would make the starter turn faster would be a big loss of compression right? Anyone else know what might cause a symptom like this?

The car has always been hard to start, I'd have to crank and crank on the motor to finally get it to fire up but once its started it runs very strong.
Old 06-27-2005, 07:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: engine turns over too fast when starting (90crvtec)

it does sound like compression, but i couldnt tell ya what CR are u running?
Old 06-27-2005, 07:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: engine turns over too fast when starting (LSVTECJay)

Arias N/A pistons with an ITR head, so that'd be about 11:0:1 I think. I can't remember exactly (I know, its sad). I was just out driving the car tonight, it runs really strong. Can't seem to find anything wrong with it, idles fine, everything seems to be OK. If I pull the plugs on it tomorrow is there anything I can look for that might be a tell tale sign of a loss of compression on one cylinder (besides obvious stuff like blow-by due to bad rings)?
Old 06-27-2005, 08:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no but you could do both a compression test and a leak-down test
Old 06-28-2005, 06:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: engine turns over too fast when starting (LSVTECJay)

I have a friend with the stuff to do a compression test but I don't know anyone with a leakdown test kit. How expensive are those? I'll also pull the plugs tonight just because I'm paranoid about all this.

One thing that could possibly affect it (although I have no idea why). I noticed this whole issue yesterday. The last time I drove the car was saturday night and it was driven pretty hard, raced a lot of people that night. The car ran fine all night, no problems at all. I put it away in the garage and didn't touch it until yesterday and that's when I noticed the fast-cranking issue when trying to start the car. Hopefully I didn't do any damage to the damn thing during racing (I kept the revs under 8000 the whole time, and I usually shift at 7400).
Old 06-28-2005, 07:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Kind of sounds like you lost some compression. Just for a reference feel - take a 19mm socket and throw it on the crank snout (with plugs installed) and hand crank it over a few times. Remove all the plugs and crank it over by hand a few more times. How much easier was it with the plugs out?

Do a compression and leakdown test. Leakdown testers aren't expensive - maybe $50-75, but you do need an air compressor to supply the device with 100psi.