Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

D16Z6 - can a bad distributor cause hesitation only after engine is well warmed up?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2005, 04:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D16Z6 - can a bad distributor cause hesitation only after engine is well warmed up?

Only happens after the car has been driven for a while, worse in hotter weather, replaced rotor,cap,plugs and it got worse.

Could it be an overheating ignitor or coil or a bad pickup?

Any suggestions?
Old 05-07-2005, 07:20 PM
KSE

Default Re: D16Z6 - can a bad distributor cause hesitation only after engine is well warmed up? (Hurricane)

Id like to know the answer to this as well.
Old 05-07-2005, 08:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: D16Z6 - can a bad distributor cause hesitation only after engine is well warmed up? (Hurricane)

did you change spark plug wire also?
Old 05-07-2005, 08:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: D16Z6 - can a bad distributor cause hesitation only after engine is well warmed up? (KSE)

i think it might be an ignitor issue...not 100% though
Old 05-07-2005, 10:51 PM

clogged air filter, bad fuel, dirty fuel filter, timing off, engine running hot... just some throwing some ideas at you
Old 05-08-2005, 04:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: D16Z6 - can a bad distributor cause hesitation only after engine is well warmed up? (Cuong-nutz)

When i first bought my d16z6 the timing was WAY off... That was the only problem..
Old 05-08-2005, 06:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You mine D16 Z6 does that to. For me it is like when I get below 2500 RPM's. It does not do it all the time but I would like to know why it does it all so.
Old 05-08-2005, 02:14 PM

Default Re: D16Z6 - can a bad distributor cause hesitation only after engine is well warmed up? (Cuong-nutz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Cuong-nutz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">clogged air filter, bad fuel, dirty fuel filter, timing off, engine running hot... just some throwing some ideas at you</TD></TR></TABLE>

New air filter, water remover and injector cleaner added in the past(after problem), new fuel filter, timing adjusted, engine temp reads normal on dash gauge.

I am hoping for an overheating ignitor as I have a refurbed distributor on its way.

Old 05-08-2005, 05:52 PM
KSE

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hurricane &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

New air filter, water remover and injector cleaner added in the past(after problem), new fuel filter, timing adjusted, engine temp reads normal on dash gauge.

I am hoping for an overheating ignitor as I have a refurbed distributor on its way.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

I have the same bogging problem when the car gets warmed up and ive noticed i get a big burn spot on my rotor after a few hundred miles. Scared to drop the cash for a new distributor though without knowing for sure.
Old 05-08-2005, 06:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

do you have any modifications done to you car, you could be running lean
Old 05-09-2005, 04:01 AM

Default Re: D16Z6 - can a bad distributor cause hesitation only after engine is well warmed up? (fasthatchb1

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fasthatchb18c1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">do you have any modifications done to you car, you could be running lean</TD></TR></TABLE>

All stock.
No codes.
Old 05-09-2005, 04:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: With my POS D15B2, Whereever whenever, United States
Default Re: D16Z6 - can a bad distributor cause hesitation only after engine is well warmed up? (fasthatchb1

change your cap and rotor
then come back and see whats up
Old 05-09-2005, 04:16 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MugenHonda &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">change your cap and rotor
then come back and see whats up</TD></TR></TABLE>

If you look at the top of this post you will see that I have already done that, they only have about 20 miles on them.
Old 05-09-2005, 04:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: With my POS D15B2, Whereever whenever, United States

was it oem honda?
Did you change to NGK spark plugs only.
what about the big black thing on top
that also plays a role
if not change your ignitor, this is dizzy related, i am positive
Old 05-09-2005, 04:45 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MugenHonda &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">was it oem honda?
Did you change to NGK spark plugs only.
what about the big black thing on top
that also plays a role
if not change your ignitor, this is dizzy related, i am positive</TD></TR></TABLE>

No, I used a high quality brand name plug (Denso), IMHO plugs are manufactured pretty much the same, some brands may have longer longevity & durability due to higher quality materials, but they should all behave almost the same when brand new.

The NGK thing in the maitenance schedule is probably an extension of a contract between Honda & NGK to supply the original plugs.

OEM Honda parts cost an arm and a leg.

I have an ignitor and all the rest of a distibutor on its way.

Modified by Hurricane at 6:15 AM 5/9/2005
Old 05-09-2005, 05:12 AM

i have the same problem...when my engine is warmed up in my z6 if i push the gas in too far it just bogs. i got it diagnosed....plugs, wires, and the reason for the diagnostic: new dizzy. my cap, rotor, module, everything is shot. plus the plugwires are kinda old...
so yes, a bad dizzy can cause this.
my new one is on the way
Old 05-09-2005, 05:26 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mountaindewguy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i have the same problem...when my engine is warmed up in my z6 if i push the gas in too far it just bogs. i got it diagnosed....plugs, wires, and the reason for the diagnostic: new dizzy. my cap, rotor, module, everything is shot. plus the plugwires are kinda old...
so yes, a bad dizzy can cause this.
my new one is on the way </TD></TR></TABLE>

You do mean that a certified Honda shop diagnosed your car dont you?

My dizzy was already a refurb and had what looked like cracks in the CYL pickup sensor, it also had a stuck rotor that caused me to put the whole distributor under stress to pry off.
After that the problem got a lot worse.
Old 05-09-2005, 09:16 AM

...bump...
Old 05-09-2005, 08:24 PM

[QUOTE=Hurricane]You do mean that a certified Honda shop diagnosed your car dont you?QUOTE]

actually no. it was a small local shop that charges less than half the dealership does, and does just as good and honest job as anyone else...andi prefer them over a dealership anyday

just got that new dizzy in the mail today and took the old one off...the old ones shot. lots of play, bad cap/rotor, just shot.
Old 05-09-2005, 09:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Damn, never had a problem with my z6. Good luck
Old 05-09-2005, 09:08 PM

I recectly purchased a 94 civic ex coupe and it is in pristine condition, looks like new with only 38,000 miles. After driving for a while it would begin to develop a hesitation as if one of the cylinders was misfiring. I would become more pronounced under heavy acceleration. I checked the distributer cap and it looked fine and rotor was also fine. I changed the plugs and noticed one had an odd color. I traced the wire back to distributer and discovered the connector had been pulled out into the boot and was created the spark in the distruber cap where the wires plug in instead of the spark plug. Changed cap, rotor, wires, and plugs and car runs like new. I guess the previous owner did not wrench and thought it was a much bigger internal motor problem, that is probably why I got it very cheap.
Old 05-09-2005, 09:45 PM
Trial User

Default Re: D16Z6 - can a bad distributor cause hesitation only after engine is well warmed up? (malexisp)

bump cuz im having the same problems
Old 05-10-2005, 07:25 AM

Default Re: D16Z6 - can a bad distributor cause hesitation only after engine is well warmed up? (DC2point0)

...one last bump since this is a popular discussion.....

BTW, mountaindewguy , let us know if the new dizzy fixes the problem.
Old 05-10-2005, 07:42 AM

Check your plug wires - I had the same problem with known "good" wires, but after the transfer to the swapped in Z6 they no worky good no more.

You can measure the resistance of the wires. Look at pic below:

Hope this helps.
Old 05-10-2005, 07:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: D16Z6 - can a bad distributor cause hesitation only after engine is well warmed up? (civicminded

Its a overheating coil...I had the same problem as well!!

Quick Reply: D16Z6 - can a bad distributor cause hesitation only after engine is well warmed up?