Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

squeaking sound while driving... what is it?

Old 04-30-2005, 05:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default squeaking sound while driving... what is it?

i have a 2001 2 door accord and for about 4 months there has been a loud sqeaking sound while i drive and it gets progressively worse as i drive... i took it to the dealer and they said they could hear the sound so they couldnt do anything.. i had a friend that knows about cars and said that is sounded like my front wheel drive was squeaking... could that be what is wrong? if anyone had the same problem please help!!!
Old 04-30-2005, 06:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: squeaking sound while driving... what is it? (tomas4160)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tomas4160 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i have a 2001 2 door accord and for about 4 months there has been a loud sqeaking sound while i drive and it gets progressively worse as i drive... i took it to the dealer and they said they could hear the sound so they couldnt do anything.. i had a friend that knows about cars and said that is sounded like my front wheel drive was squeaking... could that be what is wrong? if anyone had the same problem please help!!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

i too have a 01 coupe.. i have a squeaking sound from the passenger side when i go over bumps, rocky roads, etc .. i have had this sound for more than 3 months now and i think its my shock or spring.. haven't have any time to check them..

for you .. when do you hear this sound? when turning? going over bumps?
Old 04-30-2005, 06:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

me too i have 2000 Accord 4-doors and have those noises in the passenger side and in the trunk that i can even hear it when im driving. whenever the roads are bumpy which is common in LA and i make a wide turns, i hear these noises

i thought it was coming from the license plate cover (dealer license plate cover) but when i took it off, the noises still there. i have tighten all the bolts and screws but still no go
Old 04-30-2005, 10:25 PM

Rear sway bar links on all 98-02 Accords are prone to breaking. You may either want to take a look yourself (you might be able to tell without lifting the car), or have it inspected. Broken links could cause sqeaking or clunking from the rear suspension as there is more stress on other suspension components.

I've also seen replaced c.v. axles installed wrong and causing a rubbing/squeaking sound. If brakes have been replaced recently, sometimes the tech may forget to tighten a brake caliper bolt and this could cause sqeaking.

Not sure what else it could be besides a spring or shock, but unless the mileage is in the mid 100's I'd pretty much rule that out.
Old 05-01-2005, 11:28 AM

Default Re: (plumers)

i hear this sound most after i have been driving the car fast and i thought that it could be the way i drive... i mean i am not the most caeful driver , and it happens all the time not just surtian times and it is loud and driving me crazy... and it shouldnt matter how fast i am driving, my car shouldnt be making this sound thanks for replying
Old 05-01-2005, 12:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

is the noise on over the bump noise or a rotating noise does it go up or less with car speed ,,,,,if it is a rotating noise firget about the springs the shocks that is not it ,,can younhear noise if you raise car and spin wheel by hand??
Old 05-01-2005, 12:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you are sure it is not your brake pad wear indicator right ???
Old 05-01-2005, 07:36 PM

Default Re: (deserthonda)

it is like a rotating sound and yes and i go faster the sound gets weaker and loader the slower i am going and yes i am sure that it is not the brake pad i took it to the dealer originally and they said it was the brake pad that was installed improperly and they changed it and that was about 5 months ago and the sound was still there!
Old 05-01-2005, 07:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if you raise car up and you spin wheel by hand can you hear the noise???if so crawl under car have someone spin wheel and see if you can locate noise,,rotor shield not hitting anything right ??
Old 05-02-2005, 04:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

One item that needs to be asked: drum or disk brakes. A condition can occure specific to disc brakes, where the shield behind the disc brake rotor can be bent out of position after several trips up and down the local lube rack; resulting in the shield being against or very close to the rotor..
Although predominately found on the front, it can also occure in the rear.
My '97 displayed this condition and would only do it over 30+ mph. The air pressure from moving thru the air was enough to move the shield into the rotor
Old 05-02-2005, 11:26 AM

Default Re: squeaking sound while driving... what is it? (P_Adams)

i think that , that might be it i have a friend that has an 03 civic and he just recently heard the same thing that i was hearing... i know it was the same sound bc he drove with me.... and when he took his car in the said that they found the problem and changed out his rotor and brakes costing him 500 bones. thanks for the reply
Old 05-02-2005, 01:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

A suggestion: get involved with the diagnostic process with the tech who works on your ride. I'm curious as to what was changed out for 500.00....... I hope it wasn't one of those "replace until I fix it" exercises. The solution to my problem involved no more than the inteligent application of pressure to reposition the dust shields.
The cost? A six pack of Sam Adams.

P_Adams