Notices

why do turbo diesels whistle so damn loud?

Old 04-29-2005, 08:01 PM
mike93eh

Default why do turbo diesels whistle so damn loud?

i was just wondering why turbo diesel trucks (dodge, ford) whistle so damn loud. at like 1000 or so rpms and up. one of my boss' has a ford that you can hear the damn whistle from at least a mile a way. he has mods done to it though. but still even stock trucks turbo's whistle freakin loud.
Old 04-29-2005, 08:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: why do turbo diesels whistle so damn loud? (mike93eh)

My rs whistles pretty damn loud, reminds me of a diesel truck lol.
Old 04-29-2005, 09:05 PM

Default Re: why do turbo diesels whistle so damn loud? (Civicman86)

possibly due to the huge turbo compressor? or turbine for that matter (guessing)
Old 04-29-2005, 09:08 PM
mike93eh

Default Re: why do turbo diesels whistle so damn loud? (trentepic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by trentepic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">possibly due to the huge turbo compressor? or turbine for that matter (guessing)</TD></TR></TABLE>

yea i guess that makes sense. bigger = louder
Old 04-29-2005, 10:25 PM
H-T White Ops

they spool up VERY quickly with the amount of exhaust those big *** engines move. Also, the compressors on those turbos are just a "little" bit bigger than your average turbo used on a honda.
Old 04-29-2005, 10:26 PM
H-T White Ops

Default Re: why do turbo diesels whistle so damn loud? (mike93eh)

On a side note (might be the ricer in me talking), but I'd love to have a my 57 trim whistle as loud as some semi and bus turbos do. That'd be bad ***.
Old 04-29-2005, 10:30 PM
Better than steak

Default Re: why do turbo diesels whistle so damn loud? (IslandSi)

Because most of them (newer trucks) have the ported shroud compressor housing.

art
Old 04-30-2005, 12:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Diesels make peak torque at low low RPM's... What you get is a turbo being at full spool at a measly 1200-1500RPM. So even at idle, those turbos are probably partially spooled already....LOL
Old 04-30-2005, 02:08 AM

Default Re: (Tony the Tiger)

when i was running open down pipe, my car would whistle like a semi truck...
Old 04-30-2005, 06:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

30psi and most any turbo makes lots of noise.
Old 04-30-2005, 06:49 AM

Default Re: (nsxmatt)

30psi, ya ought to hear a cummins at 90psi. Sadly i'm really starting to like diesels. You guys pretty much nailed it. Also Diesels run fairly small turbos (flow rate versus engine displacement) and spin the turbos at considerably higher rpm than gasoline engines do. Many of the bigboy diesels don't even run a wastegate.
Old 04-30-2005, 11:26 PM

I heard that diesel turbo trucks are ALWAYS under boost, even at idle... I'm not sure if it's true though...
Old 05-01-2005, 05:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ill post an example

my boss also has a excursion turbo-diesel
its a 7.0 L engine

has the bigass turbo and 4" dowpipe and full catback

the engine revs to 3500 and thats it
this truck can beat pretty much any Honda around... anyways, with such a big engine volume, theres is sufficient gas flow and heat to spool the turbo at very low rpms , and since the turbos are huge, it moves more air, wich will cause a bigger whistle

the whistle is just the sound of the sucking action of the compressor
Old 05-01-2005, 05:21 AM
something different

Default Re: (USDM 4G VTEC)

i have a 05 powerstroke in my ford f350....

in the morning the idle is slightly elevated (around 1200 rpms) and even under no load that thing spools a LOT, you can hear it all the way across my lot.

my dads 99 powerstroke is very different. completely different engine. spools slower, whistles quieter, etc.

my duramax i had in my old chevy (just sold) was similar to the 05 ford, but the spool seemed less evident....and it didnt have a boost gauge. it was a very quiet diesel. chevy is all about that. i'm not......i love spool. very glad i switched to the powerstroke too, much better truck all around for what we use them for. (towing every day-uber better mileage)
Old 05-01-2005, 08:20 AM

Default Re: (redzcstandardhatch)

its the exhaust and large amount of boost. YOu spin your turbo to that kind of RPM and get rid of your muffler.

Even driving around open downpipe the tsssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssss of the turbo is always heard, especially if you listen for it. You also mostly heard it in a honda at partial throttle maybe 14-6inches. On thos deisel when then go WOT the motor doesn't drown out the noise cause of reverberation and resonation inside the cab, so it sounds even louder from outside.

CN: Higher RPM, and short exhaust make for lots of cool trubo spooling noises.
Old 05-01-2005, 08:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: why do turbo diesels whistle so damn loud? (IslandSi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by IslandSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">On a side note (might be the ricer in me talking), but I'd love to have a my 57 trim whistle as loud as some semi and bus turbos do. That'd be bad ***. </TD></TR></TABLE>

run open compressor with no downpipe
Old 05-01-2005, 09:00 AM

Default Re: why do turbo diesels whistle so damn loud? (razor ron)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by razor ron &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

run open compressor with no downpipe </TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah it's the turbo housing and Open DP that will make you sound like that. I actually have a video when I had open DP and when spooling down it sounded like a Semi....It was sweet, but too loud. BTW I just had a 57trim t3-t04e
Old 05-01-2005, 09:37 AM

Default Re: (redzcstandardhatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by redzcstandardhatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i have a 05 powerstroke in my ford f350....

in the morning the idle is slightly elevated (around 1200 rpms) and even under no load that thing spools a LOT, you can hear it all the way across my lot.

my dads 99 powerstroke is very different. completely different engine. spools slower, whistles quieter, etc.

my duramax i had in my old chevy (just sold) was similar to the 05 ford, but the spool seemed less evident....and it didnt have a boost gauge. it was a very quiet diesel. chevy is all about that. i'm not......i love spool. very glad i switched to the powerstroke too, much better truck all around for what we use them for. (towing every day-uber better mileage)</TD></TR></TABLE>

i work at an international dealership, your 05 has the new vt365 engine in it,or you would call it a 6.0 powerstroke. your dads has a t444e or 7.3 dit powerstroke.

your turbo is louder because it uses a variable geometry turbo on it. the new egr dt engines use this also. (dt466,dt530,dt570)

also dont forget about the dodges, i like a ford, but the cummins 6bt(which we are also a dealer for hence the holset in my sig thats going on my car) is alot cheaper to service, like $15 for the oil and fuel filters, the 7.3 powerstroke fuel filter alone is $23

a guy that works with me has a twin turbo 02 dodge 3/4 ton. it hauls. 5" exhaust, aftermaket trans. he was behind me one night at 135mph. thats moving for such a big *** truck. it has traction issues though. it will roast the rear tires(and they are big)
Old 05-01-2005, 09:38 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Around the part of the state I live in, BullyDog Technologies is located, they sell all the high end performance parts for diesels. Every diesel around here has a big BullyDog sticker and parts off the shelf from the showroom. It is cool to hear guys with full Injectors, Intake, Turbo Upgrade, 6" full turbo back, and all necessary mods to tranny and other stuff to hold the power. There is one truck around here that laid down with nitrous and propane injection on top of all the mods, around 750whp and over 1200lb/ft of torque. He whoops *** in local tractor pulls and even takes it out to smoke an occasional ricer.
Old 05-01-2005, 12:09 PM

Default Re: (SlowSpyder)

diesels are awsome. My dad used to have a 1984 mercedes 300sd turbo diesel. that thing was such a blast to drive. It had some turbo lag because from like 0 to 10 mph it was really slow, but as soon as you hit a certain point it took off. From a 40 mph roll that thing screemed. I wish he still had it but some idiot girl rear ended us and totalled it.
Old 05-01-2005, 01:10 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: (95cxh22a)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95cxh22a &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">a guy that works with me has a twin turbo 02 dodge 3/4 ton. it hauls. 5" exhaust, aftermaket trans. he was behind me one night at 135mph. thats moving for such a big *** truck. it has traction issues though. it will roast the rear tires(and they are big)</TD></TR></TABLE>
Is the twin turbo kit custom made by him or someone near you or is it the BullyDog kit? They had a white 03 2500 at SEMA with the twin-turbo kit on it, but they removed it when the truck was sold about 6 months ago.
Old 05-01-2005, 03:04 PM

Default Re: (SlowSpyder)

i<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SlowSpyder &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Is the twin turbo kit custom made by him or someone near you or is it the BullyDog kit? They had a white 03 2500 at SEMA with the twin-turbo kit on it, but they removed it when the truck was sold about 6 months ago.</TD></TR></TABLE>

its not custom, when he still had a holset on it he had changes out wheels and housings, i do know it has borg warner turbos on it though, i think i know he pushes about 54 lbs of boost.

i will ask him tomorrow at work.
Old 05-01-2005, 08:30 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Do that cuz it woul dbe nice to know, as a dealer of BullyDog product, if anyone else has the twin-turbo up their sleeve.
Old 05-01-2005, 09:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

before i got my car tuned it use to make a loud sucking sound... just air rushing in.

then after i got it tuned it made a loud *** whistling noise. i found that kinda weird.

it was real loud. kinda cool... i liked it.
Old 05-01-2005, 11:03 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

My Eclipse turbo is very loud, I am runnin a screen instead of an air filter.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: why do turbo diesels whistle so damn loud?