Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Car is having a REALLY hard time starting up!!

Old 04-17-2005, 12:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car is having a REALLY hard time starting up!!

Ok guys...

this problem is getting worse. MOST of the time, when I go to start up the car, it has a hard time starting. It cranks, but wont start up..the best thing i can describe it as is that the car sounds like its out of gas...it seems to just choke. When it does start it sputers real bad, again almost like the thing is choking. When I rev the car up it hesistates, however when I drive the car, the car runs perfectly fine and MOST of the time it idles fine when the car is stopped (light or whatever), however now its also starting to idle (like its choking) rough, however, it doesnt happen often.

One of my friends thinks its the IAC motor/valve and suggest i cleaned it out with throttle body cleaner. I did that and it seemed to help, for a few day and now im back to square one. He thinks the IAC motor might be going bad and suggest I replace it.

WHat else could it be? Ive also heard that it could be the EGR valve, spark plugs, distributor, etc.

Im now leaning towards just buying a whole new IAC valve, but i dont wanna drop the money, if thats not the problem. What do you just think?
Old 04-18-2005, 08:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Car is having a REALLY hard time starting up!! (hitmeoff)

Check your main relay.
Old 04-18-2005, 09:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My car use to do the same thing when it was cool outside. If that's not the case for you, disregard. If it is the same, I'd chk you're coolant temperature sensor. It controls the air/fuel ratio based on the engine/coolant being hot or cold. Mine was completely broken and it caused a CEL. The main relay usually acts up when it's hot outside. Hope this helps. Good luck.
Old 04-19-2005, 09:05 AM

how do i check my main relay?

And it hasnt been all that cold round here, and it will do this whether the weather is warm or cool.

I just did my plugs yesterday, but the problem remains. I still have to check the distributor cap and rotor, I will do that tonight.

Right now im leaning more towards the problem being the IAC Valve/Motor or the EGR.

What else could it be? Maybe blown head gasket? What are the symptoms of a blown head gasket?
Old 04-19-2005, 10:06 AM

Default Re: (hitmeoff)

Also to add...my car is now overheating! Its eating coolant/water like crazy! Its not the thermostat because i can feel the coolant being circulated in the hoses. One of my fans isnt working, but I doubt thats the only problem since Im loosing coolant so fast. I dont see any coolant/water being dropped on the ground, but the coolant/water is definitely being burnt up. I do have white smoke when I start the car up and for a few minutes while driving it.

So coolant is getting burned up (or evaporated) somewhere along the way
Old 04-19-2005, 11:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (hitmeoff)

Blown headgasket. Low compression used-up motor.

Eating oil = not that bad
Eating coolant = bad

Dude...why don't you take it to a mechanic instead of letting it die talking to us fools?
Old 04-19-2005, 11:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same problem. Me being the idiot that I am, unplugged a plug that goes to the intake, and i started it up and it just stalled out sort of what you were talking about..see if you have everything connected and if you do have everything connected I don't know what to tell you
Old 04-19-2005, 11:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Car is having a REALLY hard time starting up!! (twobit)

what did the old spark plugs look like? Check your compression, I would bet its a blown head gasket. If its not leaking that's the only way you would be loosing coolant!
Old 04-19-2005, 11:59 AM

Default Re: (RotaryBzzzz)

I was letting it "die" cuz I was convinced it wasnt anything too bad..

When I saw white smoke today, I knew that was a red alert. I am gonna go ahead and check the head gasket change myself today and tommorow.