Notices
All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

GSXR 1000 ITB's again. This time a step further.

Old 02-14-2005, 06:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default GSXR 1000 ITB's again. This time a step further.

As many of you know, I'm the resident GSXR 1000 ITB *****. I have quite a bit of experience in screwing around with the things and between me and my good friend Tony, we've had them on just about every B series motor Honda has ever made. I took it upon myself very recently to build a set for my own daily driver and decided to use the great deal of knowledge that experience has tought me.

To start with, using an OEM Honda manifold with welded runners usually gives unequal runner length. In order to correct this inherent problem with most of the setups, I opted to use the rather shitty OBX manifold as a starting point for the submanifold. In order to compensate for the added length of the setup, I had some billet aluminum spacers made by a local CNC shop and then a friend of mine TIG'ed some extensions onto the throttle plate actuators for cylinders 1, 2, and 3.

Another thing that's always bugged the hell out of me is the fact that a great deal of people doing these setups are still running the brake booster out of just cylinder 1. While the brake booster operates great with the relatively small amount of vacuum, this setup messes up the vacuum for cylinder 1 in relation to the other cylinders.

Also, I've seen plenty of setups with the fuel injectors mounted at both the stock Honda, and the stock Suzuki locations. After having both setups on the dyno I concluded that though it may make some difference, it's not a big enough difference to make a fuss about, and certainly not enough of a difference to get me to mount my fuel injectors in the stock Suzuki locations, plus the stock Suzuki locations make a great place to run vacuum for the brake booster.

My fourth issue regards velocity stacks. Suzuki bikes come with velocity stacks that work perfectly. Why not use them.

Finally, lets get to the TPS. My buddy Tony indicated to me that the ghetto-funktified TPS mounting arrangement is indeed quite ugly, so I wired up the Suzuki TPS to my car when it still had the stock manifold on it and it idled fine. The voltage was a bit off, (1.25 volts at idle, 4.25 volts at WOT), but a bit of tuning and other screwing with the ECU can compensate for it.

Anyway, enough of my rambling. I've put together this setup using the info I've gathered and installed them on Saturday evening. My tuner won't be free until at least Wednesday or Thursday so I won't have final driving impressions until then. Anyway, the car started right up and, with a bit of adjustment, idled fine with no codes at all. We took it around the block a few times and this particular setup was indeed a notable improvement over past setups. She's running slobbery rich from idle to about 60% throttle, but is very healthy from about 60% to WOT. Under highway cruising she breaks up a bit, but is still perfectly drivable. These issues should easily be dealt with later this week when she gets tuned. And another thing, the car sounds absolutely wicked.

I'll post an update and some dyno sheets later this week, for now you'll have to do with these pics.

Enjoy!
Old 02-14-2005, 06:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: GSXR 1000 ITB's again. This time a step further. (Kendall)

man thats beautiful! Cleanest custom setup I have seen. I am wondering what are the differences between the cbr 929 and the gsx are? Performance?
Old 02-14-2005, 06:27 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

<FONT COLOR="red"> very nice man...hows the VTec sound? </FONT>
Old 02-14-2005, 06:29 PM

Once again.
The crazy mind of Kendall puts together a mad man design that sounds like it screams. I'm looking forward to seeing this car in a week and taking a ride.
Good Job Kendall
Old 02-14-2005, 06:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I am looking at going quads as well....

i have 2 major factors holding me back at the moment, and seeing as you have been playing with them for some time, maybe you can answer my questions.

1. how loud is this setup? I mean, does it attract a lot of attention? and does it dron into the cabin?

2. do you have a problem getting cool air to the trumpets? have you dynoed with bonnet up and with bonnet down and seen much difference?
Old 02-14-2005, 06:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Awesome setup!

PM'ed with some questions...
Old 02-14-2005, 07:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (LsVtec92Hatch)

Those look real good. I almost feel like making myself another set since I sold my other ones a long time ago...
Old 02-14-2005, 07:28 PM

Default Re: (black2001ITR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by h22a193 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I am wondering what are the differences between the cbr 929 and the gsx are? Performance? </TD></TR></TABLE>

First off the CBR 929 uses 38mm throttle bodies as opposed to the GSXR 1000's 42mm setup. Beyond that the GSXR's can be spaced where the CBR's can not, and it's a hell of a lot easier to mount velocity stacks on the GSXR's as opposed to the CBR's. The only real downside is the incorrect TPS voltage which really hasn't been a problem, and should be easily compensated for with some tuning. Regarding performance, the GSXR 1000 setup is more capable based on size alone.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by FREEWAY KiLLER... &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"><FONT COLOR="red"> very nice man...hows the VTec sound? </FONT></TD></TR></TABLE>

The VTEC screams like a schoolgirl in front of an axe murderer.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by black2001ITR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">1. how loud is this setup? I mean, does it attract a lot of attention? and does it dron into the cabin?

2. do you have a problem getting cool air to the trumpets? have you dynoed with bonnet up and with bonnet down and seen much difference?</TD></TR></TABLE>

1. Well, I have no interior at all (nothing, not even a dash) so everything I do can be heard in the "cabin."

2. Not really. The simplest method would be to use some washers to raise the back of the hood by half an inch or so to take advantage of cowl induction, but I've seen setups using hood scoops and/or ram air tubes. Being that there is no actual wind on the dyno, these mods will show no actual effect.
Old 02-14-2005, 08:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Kendall)

I see you are running no IACV. How does this react with daily driving and what is warmup like?

Secondly, how do you have your MAP setup?

Great info on the velocity stacks.
Old 02-14-2005, 09:10 PM

Default Re: (teg92)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by teg92 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I see you are running no IACV. How does this react with daily driving and what is warmup like?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I am running the IACV for the time being. It's zip tied to the hard lines on the firewall, but as soon as I can disable it in the ECU, it's coming out and I'll report further.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by teg92 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Secondly, how do you have your MAP setup?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Stock Suzuki, one line from each runner teed together in the center. I have the sensor zip tied below the throttle bodies to keep it clean looking though.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by teg92 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Great info on the velocity stacks. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 02-15-2005, 07:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Kendall)

^ do you know if this setup will work a H22 motor? And do you have a mod that you "sell" that corects the TPS, Im in NC
Old 02-15-2005, 07:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (h22a193)

well somomabitch
Old 02-15-2005, 08:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (SkRiBLaH)

EDIT: Answered my own question.

Modified by 4piston at 10:37 AM 2/15/2005
Old 02-15-2005, 09:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (4piston)

nice looking setup. i was thinking of getting rid of my cbr954 setup and building another one with gsxr 1000 itbs to take advantage of the straight runners. when you seperated the runners and put spacers between them, did you have to do anything esle like modifying the throttle plate linkage or were they not effected. are gxr 750 itbs the same size as the 1000?
Old 02-15-2005, 11:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

man you just need to sell me a set of those
Old 02-15-2005, 12:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what are you doing for management?

measure your TPS voltage WOT + at idle + let me know... might be able to help out on the code front if you're still using the stock ECU.
Old 02-15-2005, 05:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (rice4life)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rice4life &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">nice looking setup. i was thinking of getting rid of my cbr954 setup and building another one with gsxr 1000 itbs to take advantage of the straight runners. when you seperated the runners and put spacers between them, did you have to do anything esle like modifying the throttle plate linkage or were they not effected. are gxr 750 itbs the same size as the 1000?</TD></TR></TABLE>

yes you have to modify the throttle linkage by adding spacers and cutting the springs down to appropriate length. it all makes sense when you see it.
Old 02-15-2005, 05:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (blundar)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blundar &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what are you doing for management?

measure your TPS voltage WOT + at idle + let me know... might be able to help out on the code front if you're still using the stock ECU.</TD></TR></TABLE>

that would be great if you could add the option to use different tps sensors on Crome. that would allow you to use the gsxr tps senor rather than trying to retro fit the honda tps sensor on (which is the hardest part when using gsxr itbs). i'm considering giving Crome another try since the new release includes itbs tools, very nice.
Old 02-15-2005, 06:05 PM

theres a new chrome release?? did I miss something?lol
Old 02-15-2005, 07:19 PM

nice, pure siiiicness...answered a few of my questions too. nice job
Old 02-15-2005, 07:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (turbociv)

i'm using a stock suzuki TPS on my gsxr itbs.. with a rom coded by Doc, i can change the voltage input to the ecu in the rom itself..

check out this thread if you want to know more about the gsxr itb setups that other guys have done. i've posted my pics in there and shown how i extended (by tig welding) the tabs for the linkage between each TB.

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=975931
Old 02-15-2005, 07:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (turbociv)

it's a beta version, 1.1.0

http://forum.pgmfi.org/viewtopic.php?t=4524
Old 02-15-2005, 08:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (rice4life)

this is a cool setup and really gets the gears turning in my head. I like I like it alot.
Old 02-15-2005, 09:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ringgold)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ringgold &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">this is a cool setup and really gets the gears turning in my head. I like I like it alot.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Definately. Quite some advancements now that you have ITB tools which changes columns 5+ to be totally TPS dependant. Along with another ITB bin kicking around which has altered vacuum columns. A couple great ways to start tuning a little more successfully.
Old 02-15-2005, 09:40 PM

-h22a193:
Similar setups can work with the H22, but I recommend going up to the larger Hayabusa throttle bodies.

-SkRiBLaH:
Damn straight.

-rice4life:
Yes, the throttle plate actuators need to be extended with a 3/8" by 3/8" piece of steel, any good welder should be able to handle it for you. Some models of the 750's are the same as some models of the 1000's

-ITRacer121:
All in due time.

-blundar:
Crome. I'm not throwing any codes and I'll be taking full advantage of version 1.1.0 here in a few days.

-teg92:
No springs were cut, I just had extensions welded on.

-rice4life: (again)
It will be taken care of here in a couple of days.

-turbociv:
Yes, and yes.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GSXR 1000 ITB's again. This time a step further.