Notices
Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

Dually Diesel Trucks

Old 02-10-2005, 07:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dually Diesel Trucks

Any opinions out there? I am looking at the F-350 Diesel and the Silverado 3500 Duramax. Non 4 x 4 most likely. Will be used to tow all over the east coast. Watkins Glen to CMP (or further?). I will be towing a 24' box trailer and a gooseneck trailer in the future.
Old 02-10-2005, 07:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Dually Diesel Trucks (Andrew240z)

Really can't go wrong with any of them.. I looked at both types before I bought my dodge.. The Dodge is just a simple design, very straight forward and very easy to work on..

I would recomend a Manual Tranny for highway towing. Better Fuel Milage and will last longer. Highway towing doesn't effect clutch life to much.
Old 02-10-2005, 08:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Here is some reading for you, cover a lot!
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=992075
Old 02-10-2005, 08:05 AM

I've always had good luck with my Ford's. I had a 93 Ford Dually and now I have a 97 Ford F250 4x4. Both will pull a house. I have auto trans because they have a higher towing capacity. The 4x4 comes in handy in the winter (off season) since I use it for work also. I get 14 miles per gallon towing with Kumho 824 all season LT tires and Amsoil in the motor, tranny and diff at an avg speed of 70-75. I say this because with a more agressive treaded tire I only get about 11.5 per gallon. I have heard good things about the new Chevy's though. I'll be in the market for a new truck next year and will definitely be looking at the Chevy as well as the Fords. I also here that the Chevy's have the real Allison transmisions. A good thing
Old 02-10-2005, 08:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Dually Diesel Trucks (Maxx44)

Dodge are not too bad actaully Roger foo has one for sale you may want to check it out
Old 02-10-2005, 08:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If your going to be pulling a gooseneck trailer it's practical to get a F-350 dually. Which one are you looking at? Year? Make sure you get a 6.0L instead of the 7.3L. We use to own a 7.3L had so many problems.
Old 02-10-2005, 09:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JDM Factor)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM Factor &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If your going to be pulling a gooseneck trailer it's practical to get a F-350 dually. Which one are you looking at? Year? Make sure you get a 6.0L instead of the 7.3L. We use to own a 7.3L had so many problems. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I have 380K on my truck and I have had no problems with the 7.3L maybe you had a bad one. The 7.3 is actually stronger that than the early 6.0. The first 6.0 were heavily plagued with problems which is why Ford and Int'l almost broke there deal, also why the smaller diesel hasn't been implemented in the light duty trucks. So I say 7.3 or 6.0 both STRONG motors.
Old 02-10-2005, 09:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Dually Diesel Trucks (Maxx44)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Maxx44 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> I have heard good things about the new Chevy's though. I'll be in the market for a new truck next year and will definitely be looking at the Chevy as well as the Fords. I also here that the Chevy's have the real Allison transmisions. A good thing </TD></TR></TABLE>

more info about the Chevy's please. I don't know that much history but most people i've talked to about the fords don't have any complaints. I've heard of the dodge's having lots of tranny problems. Haven't heard much about the chevy's cause i don't know anyone that owns them. And the Allison tranny is nice, but it's an auto. I think I'd want the manual myself.

s
Old 02-10-2005, 09:54 AM
SJR

Default Re: Dually Diesel Trucks (stevel)

I tend to agree with a manual as well. Besides, nothing comes close to the feeling of rowing a diesel manually. Makes you feel like a real truck driver. I dunno, I just thought it was cool myself.
If/when I buy a diesel, it'll be manual for sure.
Old 02-10-2005, 10:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Dually Diesel Trucks (stevel)

Every full size diesel (3/4 ton/1 ton) has had automatic tranny problems. Most of these issues seem to be in the past. Also keep in mind that a lot of these issues are from guys making big power and towing very heavy.

In 2003, Dodge introduced their new auto trans, and I haven't heard a lot, but again, it's early. In late 2003, Ford introduced their new torqueshift auto trans. So far, so good, but it's early. In 2003 or 2004 (?) Chevy came out with their "Allison" auto trans. From what I've heard (stressing heard), it's a trans built by Allison spec'd by GM with GM parts. Not sure if that makes it a "Allison" or not.

The motor's not the issue. All three have great motors.

If you're buying new, or within a year or so old, I'd say you're fine no matter what make you decide on. If you're looking at the used market, it's a toss-up. All three makes have had their share of issues over the years. Research and learn what you can. It really comes down to what you like about each truck.

Personally, I think the Chevy is the uglyest think on wheels, so for me it came down to Ford or Dodge. I liked the Ford better, and it has a bigger backseat than Dodge. However, it is more "truck-like" than Dodge or Chevy.

$.02

Modified by johng at 11:34 AM 2/10/2005
Old 02-10-2005, 10:34 AM

Default Re: Dually Diesel Trucks (johng)

Ok, here are some of things I have "heard"

"dont buy the Dodge, great engine, truck is a POS" "tranny sucks"
"Chevys' front suspension falls apart"
"early 6.0 fords have lots of issues"

I drove the 7.3 f-350 4 x 4 and thought it was too truck like for me. I think I prefer the more quiet 6.0 2 x 4. I prefer the automatic since I may do more than just tow with it.
Old 02-10-2005, 10:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have the last of the 7.3 motors in a 2003 chassis. Tows my 24' enclosed trailer just fine, and it's my daily driver. Here's a few places to check out.

Dodge:
http://www.turbodieselregistry.com/forums/

Ford:
http://forums.thedieselstop.com/ubbthreads/
Old 02-10-2005, 10:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Dually Diesel Trucks (johng)

Honestly I have looked into GMC’s because they are actually more available cheaper especially when it comes to engines, there seems to be a quite a few. I haven’t heard any good or bad, so does anybody have any stores on Diesel Chevy’s GMC’s?

Story on the Dodges is the 2 peddlers have tranny problems, but the Manuals don’t seem to have problems and most of them come as 6 speeds

I have a few friends who have 7.3L ford diesels and the engine and trans seem to be almost bullet proof but most everything else does not hold up. They seem to have all gone through starters which are very expensive parts and very rare parts for diesels.
Old 02-10-2005, 11:01 AM

If you are considering a new truck I can hook you up with X plan pricing for the Fords. let me know via PM.

bpt
Old 02-10-2005, 11:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (b_tone)

We tow with a 3500 Chev dually with the Duramax and Allison.
It works great, 42' trailer with 2 cars to Watkins Glen 2 years ago, no problem, 2 cars to Mosport, no problem. These are 2000km trips each way. Tows the trailer and one car for a joke.
Old 02-10-2005, 11:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (pmachan)

if you hate the looks of the chevy, it comes in two flavors

Old 02-10-2005, 12:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Greyout)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Greyout &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if you hate the looks of the chevy, it comes in two flavors

</TD></TR></TABLE>

But both still look bad

You should have jumped on this https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1047036

For whatever reason I didn't have any luck selling her. I think it was due to it being a 4x2 and the winter time. But if you put about a 1000 lbs in the bed it does really well in the snow with the new Auburn LSD. If the price is right I guess I'd sell her since the truck I ordered is sitting on the dealers lot right now.

Andrew, If you do go with a Chevy (don't know why you would though) stay away from the early ones with the Allison Tranny. I used to live across the street from a friend who worked with Allison and when this truck came out Allison wasn't up to the task of building the quantity that Chevy needed and quality suffered big time. I'm sure they have improved by now but just be warned.

Modified by SMSP at 4:23 PM 2/10/2005
Old 02-10-2005, 12:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

as said above-any Ford,GM or Dodge from the past couple years works great-it's just a matter of brand preference.
i spend all day installing gooseneck and 5th wheel hitches and other towing accessories.Chevies are by far the most popular amongst people who actually use their HD trucks(as opposed to the people who just want a big truck)as intended,with Ford second.don't see many HD Dodges come in.
that being said,i'd base it on price and personal preference.
Chris
Old 02-10-2005, 03:28 PM

Default Re: Dually Diesel Trucks (TeamNextGenChris)

I rented the Duramax about a year ago.. It was a HOSS! It would spin the tires with the trailer on the back!~ It would probably be my choice if I were to buy a dually ever..
Old 02-10-2005, 08:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Dually Diesel Trucks (Want2race)

i have a friend with a 95 chevy/GMC dually, big block, for sale cheap in NE Ohio. PM me if you want his contact info.
Old 02-10-2005, 09:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JDM Factor)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CRX Toad &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I have 380K on my truck and I have had no problems with the 7.3L maybe you had a bad one. The 7.3 is actually stronger that than the early 6.0. The first 6.0 were heavily plagued with problems which is why Ford and Int'l almost broke there deal, also why the smaller diesel hasn't been implemented in the light duty trucks. So I say 7.3 or 6.0 both STRONG motors.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah I was talking about the new 6.0L which is a heck of a lot better than the old 7.3L The old 6.0L had a lot of problems, your right...
Old 02-10-2005, 10:38 PM

Default Re: (Greyout)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Greyout &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if you hate the looks of the chevy, it comes in two flavors

</TD></TR></TABLE>

I love the look of the GMC. Lightyears better than the Fords and the rediculously overdone Dodges.
-Adam
Old 02-11-2005, 12:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mityVR6)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mityVR6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I love the look of the GMC. Lightyears better than the Fords and the rediculously overdone Dodges.
-Adam</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'll that the GMC is nicer than the Chevy but not the Ford. But are those JDM mirrors on the GMC? They can't compare with the huge tow ones that Ford uses....no blind spots with those.
Old 02-11-2005, 01:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SMSP)

~Adam Sandler voice~ Oooohh.... somebody's getting spanked ~

The 2005 front end looks nice.

Old 02-11-2005, 02:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (johng)

I would have to say it is all preference. If you can find a used diesel dually that has been well maintained and is worth the money then go with what you can find or what you want.

I went with a 99 Dodge Cummins 3500 Daully. I purchased it from a fellow member here and have nothing but great things to say. The Cummins is very easy to work on but the 24v ISB motor is VERY Loud! I tow an 18' Open Car Hauler with my ITR and it is honestly like the car or trailer is not even there. When hitched to the 32' Travel Trailer for family trips you can deff feel that in the pedal but tows like a dream. I am goin to modify the truck slightly to get a tad better MPG and a few more ponies.

Roger Foo is selling the same rig as mine but 2wd, even more ideal for towing.

"I'd rather be CUmmin then Stroking" ...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dually Diesel Trucks