Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Oil pan drain plug... How do I fix this??

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2005, 06:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil pan drain plug... How do I fix this??

So I just did my first oil change the to this car since I bought it, turns out the shop that did oil changes to it before cross threaded the oil pan drain hole, and it won't seat very tight now. The bolt has stripped the threads off in the oil pan and it's leaking . I need to know are there tools that you can re-tap the threads in the oil pan or something along the line of me NOT getting a whole new oil pan. Any ideas or suggestions, shoot them my way.

Modified by CycloneBlue_1.6EL at 8:28 PM 2/9/2005
Old 02-09-2005, 06:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Tap and Die set from any hardware store...... your going to have to take the oil pan off anyways so metal shavings dont get stuck.. so y not just find a used one for like 30 bucks and save the hassle
Old 02-09-2005, 06:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Oil pan drain plug... How do I fix this?? (CycloneBlue_1.6EL)

Most auto stores sell oversized drain plugs for this sort of thing.
Old 02-09-2005, 07:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RitcheyRch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Most auto stores sell oversized drain plugs for this sort of thing. </TD></TR></TABLE>

True, there are drain plugs that are a little bigger than what used to be in there that will thread in. There are also some that start small and get larger which will thread themselves into the oil pan.
Old 02-09-2005, 07:55 AM

i had the same problem of stripping out the old plug what i did do was go to napa ask for a piggy back bolt bring the stripped plug there if u dont know the sizes of the threaded part and they'll give you one that makes new threads and a lil one that goes in the middle which you drain from make changing the oil a lot easier also dont crack the washer they give you or u got to get onther one casue oil will **** out trust me lol
Old 02-09-2005, 12:56 PM

Default Re: Oil pan drain plug... How do I fix this?? (89efstd)

Taking the oil pan off the car is such a pain in the ***, even more so when you don't have a hoist, and especially when it's -15 C everyday. That's why I wanted to know if there were any quick fixes that might take care of the problem until it warms up and maybe I could find a cheap used one. A used one will be hard to find though, it's the stupid aluminum oil pan on the D16Y8.
Old 02-09-2005, 02:14 PM

just get a longer bolt. but if the threads in the pan are really stripped then u can have a problem. migt have to re tap it .
Old 02-09-2005, 02:22 PM

piggy back bolt costs 5 dollors worth it compared to 89 for an oil pan
Old 02-09-2005, 02:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

heres advice comming from someone that has bought 2 cars with the sammme problem. believe me when i tell u. BUY ANOTHER OIL PAN. i tried allll those methods above.. some of them work for alittle, but ur gonna keep running into the same problem. i tried tap and die... that worked.. until i went to go change my oil again.. tried piggy back drain plug, that worked, until i went to go change the oil and that plug just stripped 2 caz its made of cheap *** steal.. believe me man... save some stress and buy a pan.. all it is is like 12 bolts in the pan and a gasket.. no biggy

Old 02-09-2005, 02:48 PM

Default Re: Oil pan drain plug... How do I fix this?? (jayare05)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jayare05 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">heres advice comming from someone that has bought 2 cars with the sammme problem. believe me when i tell u. BUY ANOTHER OIL PAN. i tried allll those methods above.. some of them work for alittle, but ur gonna keep running into the same problem. i tried tap and die... that worked.. until i went to go change my oil again.. tried piggy back drain plug, that worked, until i went to go change the oil and that plug just stripped 2 caz its made of cheap *** steal.. believe me man... save some stress and buy a pan.. all it is is like 12 bolts in the pan and a gasket.. no biggy

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Can you drop it w/o removing anything else from under the car?
Old 02-09-2005, 02:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Oil pan drain plug... How do I fix this?? (jlacoy82)

all you need is to remove the header and you can take the oil pan off not that hard.
Old 02-09-2005, 02:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i believe so caz it is a sealed chasis and there shouldnt be anything that would prevent it from not dropping. i may be wrong just jack the car up and take a look.. but ive changed a few before its reallllll easy.. there is like 4 or 5 small bolts on each side of the pan.. take them out.. drop the pan, put new gasket on the pan with some kind of sealant.. put the pan back up.. put bolts in.. all done! bout an hr job tops
Old 02-09-2005, 02:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i donty think u have to remove the header.. might be enough clearance to just slide the pan out around it
Old 02-09-2005, 02:57 PM

i dont know if you ever looked but theres a few that you cant get to and the repair says to lift the engine in a repair manual to get to them also you cant just put them back the way u take them out theres a certain pattern to follow when installing them to get a proper seal
Old 02-09-2005, 02:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jayare05 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i believe so caz it is a sealed chasis and there shouldnt be anything that would prevent it from not dropping. i may be wrong just jack the car up and take a look.. but ive changed a few before its reallllll easy.. there is like 4 or 5 small bolts on each side of the pan.. take them out.. drop the pan, put new gasket on the pan with some kind of sealant.. put the pan back up.. put bolts in.. all done! bout an hr job tops </TD></TR></TABLE><TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jayare05 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i donty think u have to remove the header.. might be enough clearance to just slide the pan out around it</TD></TR></TABLE>
its easier to just pull it off with the headers off but you might be able to slide it out with them on, and i agree with jayare05, just do it right the first time
Old 02-09-2005, 03:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Oil pan drain plug... How do I fix this?? (SOHCD16y8)

im just tryin to save the dude some hassle of removing the header specially if its still all stock caz its gonna suck tryin to get those rusted *** bolts off. and yeah theres a right way to do everything in this world but noone does. im sure if he just puts all the bolts in hand tight and then when there all in tightin them up with a 1/2 inch drive he should be fine.
Old 02-09-2005, 03:06 PM
s73
New User

same thing happend to my y8...... if u look at your factory drain bolt you will notice that it is pretty short...(using about 1/2 the threads of the pan) i just went to advance auto parts and picked up a longer drain plug....its about 3 bucks.....and the one i got its Magnetic also

why don't you try that out before changing the pan? its only 3 bucks
Old 02-09-2005, 04:40 PM

Default Re: Oil pan drain plug... How do I fix this?? (s73)

After all I've read, I think I'm going to try buying the longer drain plug first. If that works, I'll use it until it doesn't anymore - and then I'll ATTEMPT to find a used pan. I have no idea where to look for one though, every junk yard around here sells only complete working engines out of the cars, they don't part them out.

As far as changing the pan goes... I've done it before on my 92 saturn winter beater, and it was a pain in the ***. I wouldn't try and slide it around the header pipe... I would take it right off because the Saturn's didn't come off and I had to slide it around. This is not fun. If I actually managed to get all the bolts off the exhaust system that I needed to drop the pipe, it would be easy (aside from having to do it lying on my back.) Plus I need to find one first, so that's why I want to get the plug first.
Old 02-09-2005, 07:47 PM

a y 8 oil pan isnt no saturn its ez as hell. just remove the down pipe out of the way.and remove the nuts and bolts on the pan. need to remove the flywheel cover and theres 2 brackets on the tranny that are connected to the bottom of the engine block in order to take the pan off. its real ez. o yea when u get anew pan if u decide to get sum sealer and a new gasket.
Old 02-09-2005, 08:14 PM

Default Re: Oil pan drain plug... How do I fix this?? (vtekstorm)

Step by step, the saturn one is prety much the same thing. Header pipe, flywheel inspection cover, lower dogbone mount, 14 small bolts. Sounds like pretty much the same job, minus the dogbone mount. The biggest problem I had with the saturn was the header pipe. Unbolted in the front, but because the cat was welded on both sides and I couldn't seperate it, so I had to shimmy the pan around the pipe... PITA. That saturn pan makes me not ever want to change an oil pan again. Besides which, I'm pissed off that I should have to replace the whole oil pan for a stupid bolt hole.
Old 02-10-2005, 05:47 AM

I called Napa this morning, they seem to have Honda replacement drain bolts. I'm going to compare lengths. I'll check out the piggy-back style bolts while I'm there. (If they have them)