Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

What does this mean when purchasing wheels....OFFSET????

Old 01-03-2005, 07:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What does this mean when purchasing wheels....OFFSET????

I think its offset, im not really sure, i never had a choice when buying wheels

Like for example

16" Wheel 4x100+40 or i saw +45 too.....

Whats that mean?

Thanks for the help

p.s. what is better for a 92 Hatch?
Old 01-03-2005, 07:14 PM

Default Re: What does this mean when purchasing wheels....OFFSET???? (Hatch It)

im pretty sure it is from where the lug nuts are to the outer edge of the rim meaning how far the edge (where the tire mounts) sticks out past the center of the rim
Old 01-03-2005, 07:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What does this mean when purchasing wheels....OFFSET???? (civictildeath)

I see, but it sounds a little odd. Wouldn't you want the lug nuts to be set into the wheel more for a cleaner look instead of them sticking out like huge nipples ??? But you see what i mean? Or is that the idea?
Old 01-03-2005, 07:27 PM

no i meant that where the lugs are (the center of the rim not lugs themselves) set in the much further than the rest of the rim
Old 01-03-2005, 07:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: What does this mean when purchasing wheels....OFFSET???? (civictildeath)

The offset of a wheel is the distance from its hub mounting surface to the centerline of the wheel. The offset can be one of three types.

Zero Offset
The hub mounting surface is even with the centerline of the wheel.

Positive
The hub mounting surface is toward the front or wheel side of the wheel. Positive offset wheels are generally found on front wheel drive cars and newer rear drive cars.

Negative
The hub mounting surface is toward the back or brake side of the wheels centerline. "Deep dish" wheels are typically a negative offset.

If the offset of the wheel is not correct for the car, the handling can be adversely affected. When the width of the wheel changes, the offset also changes numerically. If the offset were to stay the same while you added width, the additional width would be split evenly between the inside and outside. For most cars, this won't work correctly.

Old 01-03-2005, 07:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What does this mean when purchasing wheels....OFFSET???? (dwnthehatch)

So make it easy for me, then what would be best for a 92 Civic Hatch?

4x100+40
or
4x100+45

?

Thanks alot guys
Old 01-03-2005, 08:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Isn't +42 the ideal offset for Civics?
Old 01-03-2005, 08:03 PM

It all depends on the width of the wheels and tires, the 40 offset will be 5 mil further out than the 45's. I'd go with the 40's myself. I had 42 offset Koseis with my race rubber and found they rubbed on the inside, I switched them for 38 offset and it's much better. But if you're really low and/or running wide tires you'll want the 45's otherwise it will rub on the fender lip.
Old 01-03-2005, 08:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What does this mean when purchasing wheels....OFFSET???? (Outrun)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Outrun &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Isn't +42 the ideal offset for Civics?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well i only have 2 choices in the wheels i am trying to buy, so im not sure if +40 is better than +45 or worse...

Anybody please help me
Old 01-03-2005, 08:16 PM

If you're really dumped, get some +45's so it'll tuck a little. What size tire are you planning to run?
Old 01-03-2005, 08:52 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hatch It &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I think its offset, im not really sure, i never had a choice when buying wheels.
Like for example:
16" Wheel 4x100+40 or i saw +45 too.....Whats that mean?
Thanks for the help

p.s. what is better for a 92 Hatch?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Offset questions are good I think. A lot of people dont know anything about offset and could use the advise. The 4x100 is of course the lug spacing in case you didnt know. You could always do a search about offset and how to determine what offset is good for what application and school everybody with info. Who knows, this might turn into something for the Knowledge Base.
Old 01-03-2005, 09:21 PM

Default Re: What does this mean when purchasing wheels....OFFSET???? (Outrun)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Outrun &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Isn't +42 the ideal offset for Civics?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I have heard that too and when I bought my ce28n's thats what I got them in. 16x7 +42. They fit great too even with 215/45zr16 Azenis's.

But the common offset I see for a 7 inch wide rims is usall +40. I think thats what rotas come with. My slips are 15x7 +40. Currently riding 205/50/15 kumho 712's and they look good.

Its only a 2mm differance.
Old 01-03-2005, 10:18 PM

Default Re: What does this mean when purchasing wheels....OFFSET???? (_BEN_)

i have currently 15X6.5 slips with an offset of +40. and i have about a finger gap between the wheels and fender on all four corners, i still rub a lil bit and hard cornering. so if i get +45 offset, it should stop the rubbing at the hard corners and i can still go low??
Old 01-03-2005, 10:48 PM

Default Re: What does this mean when purchasing wheels....OFFSET???? (CharcoalEGG)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CharcoalEGG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i have currently 15X6.5 slips with an offset of +40. and i have about a finger gap between the wheels and fender on all four corners, i still rub a lil bit and hard cornering. so if i get +45 offset, it should stop the rubbing at the hard corners and i can still go low??</TD></TR></TABLE>

oh yea, i have 195\55\15 rite now and im gonna go 205\50\15
Old 01-04-2005, 06:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What does this mean when purchasing wheels....OFFSET???? (CharcoalEGG)

My car is low, so i think i would go with the +45's so they tuck a bit better.....

There 16"s with a 45 offset, thats better than 16"s with a 40 offset im guessing from what everyone is saying

Thanks for the help too
Old 01-04-2005, 07:54 AM

so the higher the number, the more the rim tuc's in ? (the less it sticks out for rubbing)
Old 01-04-2005, 09:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What does this mean when purchasing wheels....OFFSET???? (Daniel san)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Daniel san &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so the higher the number, the more the rim tuc's in ? (the less it sticks out for rubbing)</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes basically that is what this sounds like.....Im going with the larger # then....
Old 01-04-2005, 07:31 PM

Default Re: What does this mean when purchasing wheels....OFFSET???? (Daniel san)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Daniel san &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so the higher the number, the more the rim tuc's in ? (the less it sticks out for rubbing)</TD></TR></TABLE>
That depends on the width of the rim.
Old 01-04-2005, 09:03 PM

well I really want to get some Rota Slipsteams

15x6.5" +40mm offset 4x100,

they have a 40 offset,

will that rub ? my ride is pretty low and my current rims do rub (don't know what the off set is)

that's why i wanna get new rims.
Old 01-04-2005, 09:47 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Daniel san &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well I really want to get some Rota Slipsteams

15x6.5" +40mm offset 4x100,

they have a 40 offset,

will that rub ? my ride is pretty low and my current rims do rub (don't know what the off set is)

that's why i wanna get new rims.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

i have that, if i go too low, it rubs. the wheels look flush with the car. wouldnt go toooo low with it. i got a lil less than a finger gap at all four corners and at hard cornering i hit something. haha. more like rub hard.
Old 01-05-2005, 01:13 AM

With 5 Lug conversion, my 42+ hits the Q panal like a **** when i set the suspension soft. need to roll fender and do camber adjustment.
Old 01-05-2005, 01:54 AM

sounds like offset is hot.
Old 01-05-2005, 12:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: What does this mean when purchasing wheels....OFFSET???? (dwnthehatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dwnthehatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The offset of a wheel is the distance from its hub mounting surface to the centerline of the wheel. The offset can be one of three types.

Zero Offset
The hub mounting surface is even with the centerline of the wheel.

Positive
The hub mounting surface is toward the front or wheel side of the wheel. Positive offset wheels are generally found on front wheel drive cars and newer rear drive cars.

Negative
The hub mounting surface is toward the back or brake side of the wheels centerline. "Deep dish" wheels are typically a negative offset.

If the offset of the wheel is not correct for the car, the handling can be adversely affected. When the width of the wheel changes, the offset also changes numerically. If the offset were to stay the same while you added width, the additional width would be split evenly between the inside and outside. For most cars, this won't work correctly.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

great information man you answered all my questions very fast and made it simple thanks
Old 01-06-2005, 02:58 PM

Default Re: What does this mean when purchasing wheels....OFFSET???? (zoomzoom92)

So a +35mm offset would increase the track alot?
Old 01-06-2005, 04:36 PM

Default Re: What does this mean when purchasing wheels....OFFSET???? (untitled)

Anybody have 15X7's, +35 offset, 205-50-15's and stock springs? Do you have any rubbing? Anybody give up on this size because too much rubbing? Sorry to thread jack.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What does this mean when purchasing wheels....OFFSET????