Notices
Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

F1 Suspension, what do you make of this.

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2004, 01:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F1 Suspension, what do you make of this.

Notice how the lower heim joint is positioned vertically instead of horizontally what do you guys make of it?

Old 12-07-2004, 04:15 AM

Default Re: F1 Suspension, what do you make of this. (ZoRG)

that looks like the steering arm and knuckle
Old 12-07-2004, 04:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: F1 Suspension, what do you make of this. (icarp)

Are you sure it's not the pushrod for the coil-over?
Old 12-07-2004, 04:21 AM

I would say it is that way for castor adjustment. Use spacers on both sides of the monoball (the joint that connects to the wheel upright)...change them to get different castor settings.

What car is that from? Looks kind of low tech and boring for F1.

Modified by RexRacer19 at 10:12 AM 12/7/2004
Old 12-07-2004, 04:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: F1 Suspension, what do you make of this. (RexRacer19)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RexRacer19 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What car is that from? Looks kind of low tech and boring for F1.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Or an old F1 car anyway.
Old 12-07-2004, 05:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: F1 Suspension, what do you make of this. (Erik95LS)

Thats the pushrod. Looks the same (other than all the carbon fiber) as it does on my Formula continental. Top one will be threaded one way, bottom the other, loosen up the jam nuts and adjust for corner weights/ride height.

One thing that is different is there is no camber adjustment down bottom, but it looks like there may be up top, the shrouding covers it. With the modern Van Diemens we adjust castor with shims, and again maybe because of the wheel and how dark it is i cant make out a castor adjustment for sure.

Jon K
http://www.seat-time.com
Old 12-07-2004, 05:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

It looks newer...the tires are Michelins and the suspension arms look to be "wingbones".
Old 12-07-2004, 09:41 PM

Default Re: F1 Suspension, what do you make of this. (Outrun)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by FormulaIntegra &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Are you sure it's not the pushrod for the coil-over?</TD></TR></TABLE>
No, look below the pushrod mounting.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by icarp &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">that looks like the steering arm and knuckle
</TD></TR></TABLE> No man, the steering arm is at the top.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RexRacer19 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
What car is that from? Looks kind of low tech and boring for F1.
</TD></TR></TABLE>Nope, F1 alright.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Erik95LS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Or an old F1 car anyway. </TD></TR></TABLE>
2004 Renault.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by racerjon1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thats the pushrod. Looks the same (other than all the carbon fiber) as it does on my Formula continental. Top one will be threaded one way, bottom the other, loosen up the jam nuts and adjust for corner weights/ride height.

One thing that is different is there is no camber adjustment down bottom, but it looks like there may be up top, the shrouding covers it. With the modern Van Diemens we adjust castor with shims, and again maybe because of the wheel and how dark it is i cant make out a castor adjustment for sure.

Jon K
http://www.seat-time.com</TD></TR></TABLE>
No BELOW the pushrod.

Old 12-07-2004, 09:50 PM

Ease of manufacture and maintenence? It looks to be a spherical bearing, which will travel further before lock than a rod end. Maybe it travels far enough for them, and they don't have to worry about the bolt coming from the top/bottom. That makes it stronger as well, since if it were top/bottom, they would have to worry about shear forces it the tire impacted something.

BTW, what F1 team let you get close enough to take a picture?
Old 12-07-2004, 10:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: F1 Suspension, what do you make of this. (Goullish)

With clarification, yea it just looks like a spherical bearing to me as well. The 1988 Van Diemen i race has a spherical bearing in the same place, but it is horizontal. Looking at pictures, it is the same with the 1996.

As far as getting that close... I have pictures that close of the 04 McLaren from the pit walk at indy.. I was litterally sticking the camera under the car in some cases to take pics of the diffuser and such. The Mechanics jst stood there. All three of their cars were parked next to the barriers, and everyone was taking pics.. The BMW was walked by, and it was also close enough to touch and take pics like that.

Jon K
http://www.seat-time.com
Old 12-08-2004, 12:11 AM

Default Re: F1 Suspension, what do you make of this. (Goullish)

I also thought from a load point of view, it looks like a good idea, but does it not limit the amount of travel a bit? Not that they care much about that.

I just leached the pic off a website, you would be surprised what kind of pictures people get to take, well or take anyway. The thing is, it is rare for the camera to be at this angle, and to miss other obstructions, like these:

I think there isn't much to be gain from pictures if you don't have any of the data, which is why the teams aren't so strict about it. Actually I think that is the 2003 Renault, not sure, it's either 2003 or 2004.
Old 12-08-2004, 05:59 AM

I thought all of the suspension assembly pieces were suppose to be covered in kevlar this year???
Old 12-08-2004, 06:01 AM
.RJ

Default Re: F1 Suspension, what do you make of this. (Littleton)

generally you want to weave kevlar into the composite matrix, rather than just cover it with kevlar - stronger, more shatter resistant.