Notices

New welding helmet

Old 12-03-2004, 04:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New welding helmet

Yeah sure its not one of those 250 dollar ones but for the price it works and feels great. For anyone on a tight budget and looking for a good mash, pick this one up . Only 49.00 at harbor freight. The mask is actully a navy blue not sky blue like in the pics.

Old 12-03-2004, 06:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: New welding helmet (90blackcrx)

Its an auto darkening? how fast does it darken? I think i might pick me up one
Old 12-03-2004, 08:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New welding helmet (EG_intheworks)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EG_intheworks &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Its an auto darkening? how fast does it darken? I think i might pick me up one </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yep , it darkens at 1/25000 which I think is really good compared to the high price masked. All info can be found at this link

http://www.harborfreight.com/c...91212

Large viewing lens: 3-7/8'' x 1-5/8''
Used for arc, MIG and TIG welding
1/25,000 second switching speed (clear to dark state)
Shade control--shade #9 to #13
High/low light sensitivity adjustment
UV/IR protection
Automatic power on/off with adjustable delay time
High impact-resistant plastic/polyomide, nylon construction
Backup rechargeable battery
Full face coverage with padding and ratcheting headband
Meets ANSI Z87.1-1989 standards
Operating temperature: 23° to 131° Fahrenheit; Weight: 0.95 lbs.

ITEM 91212-1VGA
WAS $99.99

NOW $49.99
Old 12-03-2004, 09:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

have you used it yet? I got the same one from hf and after mig welding a little bit my eyes were killing me.
Old 12-03-2004, 09:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New welding helmet (underpressure02)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by underpressure02 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">have you used it yet? I got the same one from hf and after mig welding a little bit my eyes were killing me. </TD></TR></TABLE>

You know I could not tell if it was my contacts or the welding, my eyes feel strained. I know it says to set the mask to shade 10 for mig welding, I had mine set at 9 for a short while. 10 still seems like, I was wearing the mask in my room and when I look at the light it darkens, and when it was darken I could still see things in my room. I was thinking it seemed to light. Anyways what shade did you have it on ?
Old 12-03-2004, 10:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I told ya 13 was good
Old 12-03-2004, 10:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New welding helmet (Bailhatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bailhatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I told ya 13 was good </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah I'm gonna try that next time. I know you told me 13 was good but the manual says 10. Either way 13 and 10 are still easy to see what your doing.
Old 12-04-2004, 02:36 AM

nice
Old 12-04-2004, 01:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I had mine set on 13. It just did not seem like it got dark enough. I have a normal helmet not auto darking and it is a **** load darker then the HF one. Just be careful you only have two eyes.
Old 12-04-2004, 02:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New welding helmet (underpressure02)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by underpressure02 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I had mine set on 13. It just did not seem like it got dark enough. I have a normal helmet not auto darking and it is a **** load darker then the HF one. Just be careful you only have two eyes. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Mine was set on 13 today and it seemed plenty dark enough when I was welding. My other non darkening mask is a lot darker but I'm not even sure what shade is in it, it also has an orange tint and my new mask has a green tint which I like more.
Old 12-04-2004, 02:24 PM

thats exactly why i have a $30 normal helmet. you just get use to it and you dont have to worry about the sensor getting blocked and it not getting dark enough. my welding teacher has been welding for 40 years and he still has a non-autodarkening helmet. IMO an auto-darkening helmet is just for the cool factor. they may be nice but i dont see the point in needing one. i tig just fine with my normal helmet
Old 12-04-2004, 02:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New welding helmet (98AccordEX)

****, i have trouble seeing and mines a 10... guess im blind
Old 12-04-2004, 02:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 98AccordEX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">. IMO an auto-darkening helmet is just for the cool factor. they may be nice but i dont see the point in needing one. i tig just fine with my normal helmet</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well my helmet helps me, I hate not seeing where to start.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by adictionbass &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">****, i have trouble seeing and mines a 10... guess im blind</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hmm, you mean its hard to see when it darkens ? How is the lighting in your garage.
Old 12-04-2004, 02:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

not that good until last night. I havent welded anything since i got the shop lights inl. It was like two 60 watt bulbs in the whole garage
Old 12-05-2004, 12:02 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 98AccordEX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thats exactly why i have a $30 normal helmet. you just get use to it and you dont have to worry about the sensor getting blocked and it not getting dark enough. my welding teacher has been welding for 40 years and he still has a non-autodarkening helmet. IMO an auto-darkening helmet is just for the cool factor. they may be nice but i dont see the point in needing one. i tig just fine with my normal helmet</TD></TR></TABLE>

I couldnt agree more. Ive only been TIGing for about a month and welding for about 3, but your standard helmet is great for TIG and MIG. Doing a lot of Stick welding i could see the necessity for an auto darkening because its a PITA to strike the stick with the helmet at shade 10. I was flipping the helmet back and forth while striking but i had to stop because i was walking out seeing terrible dots and with my eyes burning. But over all, I can see buying one of these helmets for certain things, like welding a difficult place where you cant afford to move your gun/torch but over all i would suggest just getting a nice light big window 1 shade helmet, find a nice piece of glass that has a nice tint that you like(i like green or blue) and buy 9,10,11,12 shade glass and have a ball.

Both style helmets have their place, Id suggesting buying both.
Old 12-05-2004, 06:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New welding helmet (jailwarm)

:D

Just kidding, nice helmet!
Old 12-05-2004, 07:09 AM

Default Re: New welding helmet (jailwarm)

well the trick to start stick welding is to weld on a metal table and use the table to strike the arc then pull it to your work piece. thats how i stick and mig. tig i just flip the helmet down when i have everything set up. just keep the torch close to the metal, flip the helmet down, press the pedal, then you can see where you need to move it. just dont press the pedal to the floor so it melts anything. i'm not saying auto-darkening helmets are worthless because yes there are times when i wish i had one, but i dont find them necessary. i agree with u, just buy a big window regular helmet with different shades
Old 12-05-2004, 09:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 98AccordEX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well the trick to start stick welding is to weld on a metal table and use the table to strike the arc then pull it to your work piece. thats how i stick and mig. tig i just flip the helmet down when i have everything set up. just keep the torch close to the metal, flip the helmet down, press the pedal, then you can see where you need to move it. just dont press the pedal to the floor so it melts anything. i'm not saying auto-darkening helmets are worthless because yes there are times when i wish i had one, but i dont find them necessary. i agree with u, just buy a big window regular helmet with different shades</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yep thats how I was taught, but now I don't have to do that strike and then bring over. Hey different strokes for different folks, I like the mask and I think its so much easier welding using it.
Old 12-05-2004, 10:06 AM

I'm holding off n an auto-darkening helmet for now, I get such bad eye fatigue from my regular one, I'd probably go blind in an auto one.
Old 12-05-2004, 10:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only reason I want an auto darkening helmet is when I'm underneath a car trying to tack weld a hanger, exhaust pipe, or flange together.

So it's either an auto-darkening helmet or a lift
Old 12-05-2004, 11:14 AM

I have an auto-darkening hood and love it. I used a standard 1 shade hood for afew years. But for what I do (structual steel) its great and the HF piece is cheap enough that if it falls from the 7th floor and breaks, its cheap to replace.
Old 12-05-2004, 02:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Definatly sounds like the way to go...

You said harbor frieght...do you still happen to have the link..

thanks bro...
Old 12-05-2004, 03:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New welding helmet (ExVtec)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ExVtec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Definatly sounds like the way to go...

You said harbor frieght...do you still happen to have the link..

thanks bro... </TD></TR></TABLE>

I posted it up above but here it is
http://www.harborfreight.com/c...91212
Old 12-05-2004, 03:27 PM

for eveyone that says ther eyes hurt , they get flash , yaada yada yadda .. crap .. maybe its
your helmet is junk hf ,ebay 60$ helmet ..

i have one of thoes as well .. but im not bad mouthing auto darks .. i know mines a pice .. so i work with it ..

the way i start my arcs with this crap .. fist i see were i need to start at .. then depress .. THEN CLOSE your eyes for a sec and use your ears to hear when the arc started .. then open up ... these pices of crap are to slow for the arc .. when u open your eyes to start welding the helmet has alread darkend ..

if your tig has h/f starts .. no way a 60$ helmet is going to work .. h/f starts are way too fast for these helmets and every time i try to use the h/f the arc knocks out the helmet and turns it off .. leavng me fully exposed to the arc ..

so thats y its a smart decision to by a good helmet .. speedglas or miller elite are the ones im looking to get ..

so please its your fault your eyes hurt .. just learn to use the crappy hf helmets , b/c there not going to be as good as a 200+ helmet ..

if your not gont to be welding alot and dont mind closing your eyes for a quick sec then the hf are very good ..
Old 12-05-2004, 03:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New welding helmet (turbo gli)

What are h/f starts ?

Any after turning the shade up, my eyes did not hurt.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New welding helmet