Notices
Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

Installed stereo on 99 civic hatch, now dash lights won't work. Help please..

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2004, 01:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Installed stereo on 99 civic hatch, now dash lights won't work. Help please..

I just did stereo install on my gf's car and now no dash lights (except for cel, signals, ect.) I did search and no real solutions, I don't think its dimmer switch because it was fine before install, fuses are fine.. I was testing a couple of wire to find constant power wire, would this blow bulb or dimmer? Where should I start?
Dimmer, bulb, wrong wire?? Sorry I'm a newb with electrical.
Old 11-20-2004, 05:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Installed stereo on 99 civic hatch, now dash lights won't work. Help please.. (funkijunki)

check and see if you connected anything to the red and black wire in teh radio harness, that is the dash light/parking light wire if so disconnect it and check all fuses and also the ones under the hood
Old 11-21-2004, 07:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Installed stereo on 99 civic hatch, now dash lights won't work. Help please.. (funkijunki)

You blew a fuse. When i put the deck in my rsx, i started her up and same thing. Stereo worked but no other lights worked. Turned out i blew like 4 fuses. I went down to Al n Eds and the guy tested the fuses to see which ones it was and then just gave me some fuses and i was good as new.
Old 11-21-2004, 09:14 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by funkijunki &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I just did stereo install on my gf's car and now no dash lights (except for cel, signals, ect.) I did search and no real solutions, I don't think its dimmer switch because it was fine before install, fuses are fine.. I was testing a couple of wire to find constant power wire, would this blow bulb or dimmer? Where should I start?
Dimmer, bulb, wrong wire?? Sorry I'm a newb with electrical.</TD></TR></TABLE>A mistake that is made a lot by first time installers, is when testing for power and ground, when you test the OEM illumination wire, it tests like a ground, and if you wire the HUs ground to it, the HU will work as long as the parklights are not on, turn the lights on, the HU stops working, turn the lights off the HU works again, now, assone as you ground the HU some other way, like plugging in the ant., when you turn on the park lights, if dimmer is up all the way, you blow the park light fuse, the HU will still work because it still has a ground, [ant.].
the other thing noobs do is, they don't tape of the ill. wire if they don't use it, so it shorts out, and blows the fuse.
I agree the first thing to do is

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ASHY-ELBOW &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">check and see if you connected anything to the red and black wire in teh radio harness, that is the dash light/parking light wire if so disconnect it and check all fuses and also the ones under the hood </TD></TR></TABLE> 94
Old 11-22-2004, 08:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Installed stereo on 99 civic hatch, now dash lights won't work. Help please.. (fcm)

Thanks for help, all fuses are fine, this is what I have.

I see that red/black wire is not connected, also the deck resets every time you turn off car, so what wire is constant?? What did I F*** up?
Thanks again
Old 11-22-2004, 09:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Alright, first this is why you should buy the adapter harness. Second, you more then likely blew a fuse so check both fuse boxes(under the dash and under the hood).
Here is a diagram for your wiring
Constant 12V+ Blue/White
Switched 12V+ Yellow/Red
Ground Black
Illumination Red/Black
Dimmer n/a
Antenna Driver's Pillar
Front Speakers 6 1/2" Doors
Left Front (+) Blue
Left Front (-) Gray/Black
Right Front (+) Red/Green
Right Front (-) Brown/Black
Rear Speakers 6" x 9" Rear Deck
Left Rear (+) Blue/Yellow
Left Rear (-) Gray/White
Right Rear (+) Red/Yellow
Right Rear (-) Brown/White
Old 11-22-2004, 12:31 PM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by funkijunki &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thanks for help, all fuses are fine, this is what I have.

I see that red/black wire is not connected, also the deck resets every time you turn off car, so what wire is constant?? What did I F*** up?
Thanks again</TD></TR></TABLE> Well, I see that the illumination wire,the red/black, is not capped off, along with another wire 1st pix, on the right above the test probe 94