Notices
Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

Odyssey Mobile DVD player installation

Old 10-15-2004, 09:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odyssey Mobile DVD player installation

Hi,

I have just bought SONY 900SDS Mobile DVD for my 2004 and want to install it myself. Any guidance will be helpful ...

http://www.goodguys.com/adtemp...68252

nazeers
Old 10-15-2004, 09:40 AM

Default Re: Odyssey Mobile DVD player installation (nazeers)

Here's the basics:

You're going to need an FM Modulator. That way you can play the DVD sound through your car speakers. Secondly, you're going to need some RCA's (if your mobile DVD player doesn't already come with some long ones).
Basically, you're going to mount the DVD player on the ceiling (usually take out the rear dome lamp, and put the DVD player in its place). Be very careful that you don't use any screws that are too long... as you might drill through the roof of your car! What I usually do, is cut a 3/4" board (a little longer and wider than the DVD player) and put it between the roof and headliner. That way, you have something to screw the overhead DVD player into. After it's mounted, run your RCA's down to your radio (down the B-pilar, under the carpet, and under the dash, behind the radio). Once that's run, wire in your FM modulator. Most likely there will be 3 power wires, 2 antenna connectors, and a switch. In the directions it should say what wires go where. Note that you should be able to get all the power from your radio harness... but you'll have to check for it to make sure (12V constant, 12V accessory, and ground). Then plug your factory antenna into the FM modulator, and plug the other end of the FM modulators' antenna into your radio. Put everything back together... and you're done. Also... somewhere in the directions for the FM mod., there should be a way to set the station that the DVD player plays through (so you can hear the DVD play through various unused stations... like 88.1, 88.3, 88.5.. etc).
And that should be it.
Old 10-15-2004, 11:57 AM

Default Re: Odyssey Mobile DVD player installation (DevontElan)

Thanks Devon for the instructions. I've downlaoded the HONDA's DVD unit installation guide as well. YOur iformation is quite helpful.

My intention is to use PIE AUX input device instead of a FM Modulator.

Second big concern is where to cut the ceiling from - which point though ...

Thanks,
nazeers
Old 10-15-2004, 09:28 PM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Re: Odyssey Mobile DVD player installation (nazeers)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nazeers &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thanks Devon for the instructions. I've downlaoded the HONDA's DVD unit installation guide as well. YOur iformation is quite helpful.

My intention is to use PIE AUX input device instead of a FM Modulator.

Second big concern is where to cut the ceiling from - which point though ...

Thanks,
nazeers</TD></TR></TABLE> How about removing the domelight there is also 12v there, and its a good place to look into and see above the headliner for mounting places, we don't want to drill a hole through the top of the car, and if you have to you can slip MDF or wood blocks through and glue them into place for mounts 94
Old 10-16-2004, 04:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DevontElan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Be very careful that you don't use any screws that are too long... as you might drill through the roof of your car! What I usually do, is cut a 3/4" board (a little longer and wider than the DVD player) and put it between the roof and headliner. That way, you have something to screw the overhead DVD player into. </TD></TR></TABLE>

How would you get such a large piece of board between the roof and headliner? Wouldnt you have to cut a huge hole?
Old 10-16-2004, 06:59 PM
fcm
Old Fart

Default Re: Odyssey Mobile DVD player installation (itsmike)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by itsmike &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

How would you get such a large piece of board between the roof and headliner? Wouldnt you have to cut a huge hole? </TD></TR></TABLE>You only need blocks where the mounting holes are on the screen housing , maybe 2x2 inchs, glue them into place with LaPages ultragrip 4000, in 2hr the blocks are part of the car. 94
Old 10-17-2004, 03:01 PM

Default Re: Odyssey Mobile DVD player installation (itsmike)

Yes... you would have to cut a large hold in the headliner... but it's fine 'cause the DVD player will cover it up.

Also... I wouldn't suggest getting your 12V right there at the dome light. 99% of the time any power source above the dome light isn't strong enough to power the DVD player (usually only enough to power the DVD players' dome lights). Besides... the radio is going to have to come out in order to plug in the PIE aux adapter... and the power source behind the radio is way better.
Old 10-17-2004, 03:15 PM
fcm
Old Fart

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DevontElan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yes... you would have to cut a large hold in the headliner... but it's fine 'cause the DVD player will cover it up.</TD></TR></TABLE>I have installed about 200 overhead screens and so far the only time I have had to cut a hole is if there wasn't one there allready. As for power, I always run a a fused acc, or consant,[depends on what owner wants] off a main buss,so there is nothing else on that line. 94