Notices

Side Effects from using Full Throttle Launch / Two Step Limiter?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2004, 04:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Side Effects from using Full Throttle Launch / Two Step Limiter?

I was just wondering what the side effects are from using a Two step, because my buddys teg's sc61 took a crap on him, and he thinks its because of the two step on his aems, so now I am nervous to use mine, because i dont want to ruin my sc44. so if anyone has insight on this, let me know, thanks.
Old 10-10-2004, 04:36 PM

Default Re: Side Effects from using Full Throttle Launch / Two Step Limiter? (BB6-213)

Ive heard that the boost build off the line can eventually be bad for the turbo, but it sooo nice off the line
Old 10-10-2004, 04:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Side Effects from using Full Throttle Launch / Two Step Limiter? (BB6-213)

tell your buddy i have an sc61 i'll sell him
Old 10-10-2004, 05:14 PM

brake axles
Old 10-10-2004, 05:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Side Effects from using Full Throttle Launch / Two Step Limiter? (Turbo9Nut)

tell your buddy to buy a NOS kit and launch a lot lower, works like a frikin charm for me and my 1.60 60fts!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-11-2004, 08:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I asked this question a while back. Did not really get any good answers.

I have heard that it can possibly break your ringlands from a few people.

I used my msd 2 step a few times but did not run any better times then when I did not use it. I guess I have to get use to it more.

I cut 1.64 60 foots without it on 24.5 slicks.
Old 10-11-2004, 08:56 AM

What went wrong with his turbo?

The main downsides of a 2 step as far as the turbo is concerned is that the AEM two step allows you to control ignition timing and fuel based on using the 2 step. When you do this, basically what you are doing is allowing combustion to take place after the combustions chamber. This is hard on valves and hard on anything in the exhaust system like a turbo since combustion is taking place in the exhaust housing. On the other hand this is absolutely awesome for making boost off the line on a car with a big turbo like an sc61. You just have to know what you are doing when using it. Its a great feature but you are sacraficing your turbo for boost off the line. Worth it if you understand this and are ok with it.
Old 10-11-2004, 09:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (hoggy)

Yea, pro drag cars do it, but they rebuild their cars every few runs. You also get really high EGT's with pulling timing and dumping fuel (to spool the turbo)
Old 10-11-2004, 10:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah...

EGTs is really the only downside about it...but you shouldn't be on the 3step for more than a few seconds.

Old 10-11-2004, 12:32 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BB6-213 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I was just wondering what the side effects are from using a Two step</TD></TR></TABLE>

Good 60' times, Low ET's........
Old 10-11-2004, 12:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Side Effects from using Full Throttle Launch / Two Step Limiter? (tgreaves)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tgreaves &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Good 60' times, Low ET's........</TD></TR></TABLE>

Usually a side effect is a negative aspect
Old 10-11-2004, 12:54 PM

Default Re: Side Effects from using Full Throttle Launch / Two Step Limiter? (Bryson)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bryson &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Usually a side effect is a negative aspect </TD></TR></TABLE>

Sometimes I guess.. In that case broken axles would be the big one..
Old 10-11-2004, 01:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Side Effects from using Full Throttle Launch / Two Step Limiter? (tgreaves)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tgreaves &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Sometimes I guess.. In that case broken axles would be the big one..</TD></TR></TABLE>

I would agree with you in some aspect, but it mainly depends on how you launch the car. If you just dump it right off the line, your going to break ****. If you slip dump it, it gives the driveline a chance to preload before being exerted to the full force of the motor.
Old 10-11-2004, 01:48 PM

Default Re: Side Effects from using Full Throttle Launch / Two Step Limiter? (Bryson)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bryson &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I would agree with you in some aspect, but it mainly depends on how you launch the car. If you just dump it right off the line, your going to break ****. If you slip dump it, it gives the driveline a chance to preload before being exerted to the full force of the motor.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

It depends on your traction that your getting.. I just dump it from the line but then again I run a little more air in my slicks so that they will spin just a little to lessen the impact of launching.. This way you can get consistant launches all the time.. Just find out what psi is working good for the conditions and just dump the clutch off the 2-step and youll be good..
Old 10-11-2004, 01:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I always was a little concerned with how uberdata does it. I dont know if it actually matters or not but I think that uberdata uses a fuel cut to FTL and FTS. With FTL I guess going lean at 4-5000RPMs isn't going to be that major. However when you full throttle shift at full boost at 6000RPMs and hit a lean fuel cut isn't that going to detonate? Am I thinking of this the wrong way?
Old 10-11-2004, 01:56 PM

Default Re: Side Effects from using Full Throttle Launch / Two Step Limiter? (beta13)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by beta13 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I always was a little concerned with how uberdata does it. I dont know if it actually matters or not but I think that uberdata uses a fuel cut to FTL and FTS. With FTL I guess going lean at 4-5000RPMs isn't going to be that major. However when you full throttle shift at full boost at 6000RPMs and hit a lean fuel cut isn't that going to detonate? Am I thinking of this the wrong way?</TD></TR></TABLE>

On my 2-step that is in my AEM EMS.. I just never cut fuel, just ignition.. Well my parameters are to cut ignition at 4400 and fuel at 4700 and that gives me a nice, smooth 2-step..
Old 10-12-2004, 06:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Side Effects from using Full Throttle Launch / Two Step Limiter? (beta13)

Anyone have any input on my worries about uberdata full throttle shifting. Does AEM use coil packs or it's own ignition system? How is it able to cut ignition where chipped ECUs can not?

Note: I am in no way trying to talk **** about uberdata, I absolutely love it but I imagine that there are always going to be limitations on a free product.
Old 10-12-2004, 07:36 AM

Uberdata cuts fuel, just like Hondata, just like the stock ECU. All they're doing is lowering the rev limiter.

It's not nearly as damaging as you think because you're not running *lean*, you're running *no fuel*. Basically your engine just pumps air. There's no fuel to ignite so there's no detonation.

I've been using FTL this whole year, zero side effects and no broken axles (yet) I have spares just in case though All my friends use FTL and have been for years, and no one's broken anything more than axles and a diff, actually.
Old 10-12-2004, 07:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Side Effects from using Full Throttle Launch / Two Step Limiter? (raene)

I blew a hole in my trans using it about two weeks ago but I think it is totally unrelated. My trans has strage little quirks that I always noticed but didn't pay attention to and it just finally let go one day. I've played with adding fuel and retarding timing but I always seem to build the same amount of boost (0.05 bar) whoopie!
Old 10-12-2004, 08:04 AM

FTL and FTS? What are those? I just use my rev limiter when I am at the track for launching and shifting.
Old 10-12-2004, 08:15 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by beta13 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I blew a hole in my trans using it about two weeks ago but I think it is totally unrelated. My trans has strage little quirks that I always noticed but didn't pay attention to and it just finally let go one day. I've played with adding fuel and retarding timing but I always seem to build the same amount of boost (0.05 bar) whoopie!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thats where the rev-retard feature of the AEM EMS shines.. You can retard the ignition timing at a certant rpm and that helps limit rpms but keeps alot of the spark there so your turbo will spool up at the line ALOT..
Old 10-12-2004, 02:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Side Effects from using Full Throttle Launch / Two Step Limiter? (raene)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by raene &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I've been using FTL this whole year, zero side effects and no broken axles (yet) I have spares just in case though All my friends use FTL and have been for years, and no one's broken anything more than axles and a diff, actually. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Has anything happened to your turbo becauses of this, or are you n/a?
Old 10-12-2004, 03:22 PM

I've only been at the track 2x with the turbo, no probs during that interval. My friend with a GReddy turbo kit ran FTL for a season, turbo'd with numerous low 12-second passes and hard launches, no problems on his turbo either The engine's still oiling the turbo, and the engine's just pumping air.
Old 10-12-2004, 04:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I just thought since the combustion is taking place in the turbo that it would be hard on it, guess i will just have to take the chance, lol.
Old 10-12-2004, 05:04 PM

Default Re: Side Effects from using Full Throttle Launch / Two Step Limiter? (mrbsponge)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mrbsponge &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">tell your buddy to buy a NOS kit and launch a lot lower, works like a frikin charm for me and my 1.60 60fts!!!!!!!!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sounds liek a fantastic way to bend some rods.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by beta13 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Anyone have any input on my worries about uberdata full throttle shifting. Does AEM use coil packs or it's own ignition system? How is it able to cut ignition where chipped ECUs can not?

Note: I am in no way trying to talk **** about uberdata, I absolutely love it but I imagine that there are always going to be limitations on a free product.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Actually, Uber cuts the spark. Not the fuel.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BB6-213 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I just thought since the combustion is taking place in the turbo that it would be hard on it, guess i will just have to take the chance, lol.</TD></TR></TABLE>

lol, if the combustion took place in the turbo, you'd have some serious problems. The combustion actually takes place in the manifold. The pressure just pushes into the turbine - which is still greater static than it would see on the exhaust alone. It'd at most wear your full-faced bearings down a little prematurely. Ball bearings won't give a ****. Even still, you'd have to be doing it at extremly dramatic levels to get it to the point it'd wear it down in less than a year. Your manifold would crack long long before that.