Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

how long before axles will break? (clicking already)

Old 09-29-2004, 11:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how long before axles will break? (clicking already)

axles started clicking already. i don't have time to change it because of school. i don't want to pay someone to do it since i know how to change it myself. my question is, how long can i drive on it before it breaks? what's the worst that can happen?
Old 09-29-2004, 11:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how long before axles will break? (1.8)

1year and a half no prob. I should really get new ones though.
Old 09-29-2004, 11:39 AM

Default Re: how long before axles will break? (sohcvtec1995)

damn, ur crazy. what happens when it breaks while you're driving?
Old 09-29-2004, 11:43 AM

It's not likely to just break., his is bad but i've heard worse.
Old 09-29-2004, 11:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 37 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Re: how long before axles will break? (Revolver)

On my 96 Civic, they started clicking so I replaced the boots. A month later after 3 off road mud runs and dozens of reverse donut spurts, the boots went. Drove with them clicking for another 5 months. Then I replaced them with brand new units. I say **** replacing the axles. No one do it and pretty soon all the rappers and ball players on Cribs will be showin off their clicking axles.
Old 09-29-2004, 11:53 AM
eL
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had this problem on my old accord... I drove for more than a year and a half without them breaking... it should be replaced asap though... maybe i got lucky.
Old 09-29-2004, 12:09 PM

Default Re: how long before axles will break? (HTechBB)

Because once it's clicking part of the tripod is already damaged.
Old 10-05-2004, 08:49 AM
New User

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HTechBB &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

**** I meant joint not boot. Look at my signature.</TD></TR></TABLE>

your sig doesnt really mean ****,..on honda-tech, even the noobs think they are "true" honda technicians
Old 10-05-2004, 08:53 AM

http://www.raxles.com/glossary.aspx Look up tripod...it is a real term and you are real inexperienced. I am ASE certified in two areas.

Just replacing the boot is not going to correct the damage. Yes, sometimes you can get away with it but it is not the proper way to repair the problem.

I feel bad for the people who trust their Hondas to you.

You are most likely a carwash/porter monkey or a lube tech at the dealer.
Old 10-05-2004, 09:14 AM
Electrician

It's funny how every thread comes down to a pissing contest.

Regardless whether or not you're a Honda Techie, you don't need to be one to know what you're talking about. We all know that whether or not you're a Honda Techie, they both do shitty, half-assed jobs.

BTW, I do think the Honda Techie just got his *** handed to him on a JDM platter.
Old 10-05-2004, 09:51 AM
H-T Poker champion

Default Re: (Dimi)

Mine has been fucked up for almost 2 years now.. It wont break.. It's just annoying. I'll get around to replacing it here soon.. hopefully..

I also drive to and from school a lot, and i've been to the track many times since it started clicking.. haha.
Old 10-05-2004, 09:56 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HTechBB &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Yo just so you know the side that clicks is th CV joint so you replace it, sport. Don't try to make someone look dumb when you don't know what your talking about. I have got more Honda school training than you've got brains leave it at that. And I don't think tripod is a technical term, shadetree.

I took this as saying I was wrong, if you meant it another way than for that I do apologize. I'm all peace 'til I get questioned

Modified by HTechBB at 9:47 AM 10/5/2004</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hey Mr. Genius why replace an outer joint that costs $150.00 wholesale, $235.00 LIST!!! when you can simply buy a reman'd axle with a LIFETIME warranty for only $50-$60.00 and have it for free after that?

THAT is ******* stupid!!!

The only thing bad about remans are that you can get a shitty one or two before finding one that lasts, but they're FREE so who cares?

Hell my shop has brand new, not reman'd axles that list for $180.00 or so. Lifetime warranty and not one single comeback for 3 years now.

Book smarts don't mean you have common sense, does it? You can take your shitty attitude and shove it right up your *** bro. I have worked at dealerships and now work at a well-respected independant shop that only does hondas and Acuras and the dealerships have far more trained monkeys than they do intelligent techs who can solve problems and work "out of the box."

I am by no means any sort of Honda God. I've rebuilt one engine and one tranny of my own, done a few swaps here and there, and I'm decent with a toolset and all, but I am also smart enough to know that you don't go popping off at the mouth/keyboard at everyone who questions anything I have ever said, because I'm human and I can be wrong.

I hope this topic serves as a lesson to you that you're not King **** of **** Mountain around here just because you're a "certified Honda tech" bro. People younger than you that have never set foot in a dealer can and will teach you something new every day if you'll listen to them and stop being such a cockbag.

BTW:

I drove on a clicking axle (actually both of them) for about 2-2.5 years back in my SOHC days in my old hatchback because I knew they'd get swapped when I did my first GS-R swap.

The clicking is sure as hell annoying, but I doubt the OUTER joint will break. I have in fact broken 3 inner joints with my B series axles though.

If you evver feel a wobble under accleration that goes away once you let off the gas, check your axles immediately! I have had to get two tows because mine broke on me because i thought I could baby them for a while until I felt like swapping them out.
Old 10-05-2004, 10:38 AM

Default Re: how long before axles will break? (B18C5-EH2)

Hah! You beat me to it. I was going to do a price comparison but the discount auto chains don't readily list new CV joints. And why should they when they can sell an A1-Cardone remanufactured axle for $59.99 exchange. Retail price. O'Reilly or NAPA would probably sell it to a repair shop for $49.00. Of course those will be with welded up worn spots or ground out hot spots but for 99% of the public, it will work fine.

If HTechBB really is a Honda Technician, his Service Writer must really hate him. And if he's on flag rate, his checks must suck. You know how much time it takes to remove, clean, repack, and install just a new boot? Which by the way is probably about $20.00 retail. About a third of the cost of the reman axle. Plus let's say half hour labor in addition to the R&R CV axle. In the neighborhood of $37.50.

$20.00 CV Boot
<U>+$37.50 Addl. labor</U>

Wooohhh $2.49 savings. For something that's likely to have a comeback.

Old 10-05-2004, 10:51 AM
Former Moderator

Default Re: how long before axles will break? (devi1man)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by devi1man &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

If HTechBB really is a Honda Technician, his Service Writer must really hate him. And if he's on flag rate, his checks must suck. You know how much time it takes to remove, clean, repack, and install just a new boot? Which by the way is probably about $20.00 retail. About a third of the cost of the reman axle. Plus let's say half hour labor in addition to the R&R CV axle. In the neighborhood of $37.50.

$20.00 CV Boot
<U>+$37.50 Addl. labor</U>

Wooohhh $2.49 savings. For something that's likely to have a comeback.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Actually the labor rate to swap an axle straight out is 1.5 hours, which means about $127.50 at a dealership. They charge an additional .5 for changing boots and/or outer joint, which means it would cost a customer an additional $42.00 in LABOR alone, AND the parts are more expensive than an entire axle.

Let's not forget that when you order the outer joint it does NOT come with the damn boot and grease! The ******* boot with grease and bands are about $26.00 per boot! They charge you over $150.00 wholesale for the damn joint and it doesn't even come with the boot!

Woot! At the savings!
Old 10-05-2004, 11:18 AM
H-T White Ops

raxles.com
Good ****, new axle, hold more HP than stock. $300 for a set for my EM1.
Old 10-05-2004, 11:30 AM
I forgot more about hondas then you will ever know....

Location: hop,skip, and a jump from the city,, new friggin york, USA
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C5-EH2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The clicking is sure as hell annoying, but I doubt the OUTER joint will break.</TD></TR></TABLE>

right on point as usual, but i need to disagree with this one comment.
i had one car (early 90's, a 88 hatch) with an axle that would tear the steering wheel out of your hands with no notice. didn't click at all, nothing. out of nowhere, at 80mph you are weaving back on forth violently on the highway. it was quite scary, especially for my passengers. happened to me three times before the outer cv just exploded. although uncommon, bad axles can come back to bite you, so i would swap asap.
personally, i had no luck with reman/autozone/parts store axles. i would just rather spend a few more $, and get a set of Raxles. i have many axles issues over the years, and Raxles seem to cure them all.
Old 10-05-2004, 11:36 AM
Former Moderator

Default Re: how long before axles will break? (rodney)

There is a company here in GA called Atlanta Powertrain that offers brand new, not rebuilt axles for about $180.00 per axle (we use them here) with core exchange. they sell cores to rebuilders, so before anyone says "why buy cores if they sell new axles?" that's why.

Anyways like I said, 3 years, not one single comeback. Hell if they can build an axle for the 91-95 Legend and 96-up RL with no problems they have my business for life.

Reman axles are in both of my B series cars right now, and I have broken 3 and had a few of them start to click. when I can afford to i'll swap mine for the brand new ones.
Old 10-05-2004, 11:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had them start clicking on a couple of cars when the grease leaked out or dried up and got hard.

On my Porsche I removed the axles, cleaned the dried grease out of the joint, squeezed new grease into it, put the boot back on, and put it on the car. It was still working fine years later when I got rid of it.

On my Nissan I did it on the car to save time/effort, cut the band, pushed back the boot, hosed it out with brake cleaner, let it dry, squeezed new grease into it, then put the boot back on. Just be sure to use a real banding tool (costs a few bucks at Pep Boys) to replace the band or the boot will not seal all the grease in. The Nissan also worked fine for years until I sold it.
Old 10-05-2004, 11:58 AM

I've seen them come in on the hook with broken joints. God only knows how long they ignored it before that happened.

Two worst: 5th gen Civic EX. Bad part was that it happpened in an under ground parking garage with about a 6 ft clearance. Made towing it REAL difficult.
BMW 325 convertible. Totally destroyed the tripod and deformed the outer housing. Rubber boot was gone for who knows how long
Old 10-06-2004, 04:32 AM
Former Moderator

Where did Honda God go?

Old 10-06-2004, 05:41 AM
Electrician

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C5-EH2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Where did Honda God go?

</TD></TR></TABLE>

*high five*
Old 10-06-2004, 06:32 AM
Former Moderator

You can take all of your ceritifications and stuff them up your *** bro. they did nothing to help this guy out in this topic because your suggestion was complete bullshit.

"Replace the inner joint even though it's easily twice as expensive and you could still end up with a bad inner joint weeks later"

Yeah way to go Mr. Certified! You're the man!

You make $17.50 an hour? Wooptie ****. Our techs make from $19.00-$22.00 an hour here kid.

I take a flat salary plus commision for the service I write, so I'll take consistent easy money any day over busting *** and waiting for parts to make my money. also I'd rather not have to do warranty bullshit all day while business slacks off.

Also your weaksauce attempts at trying to pass myself and others off as rice kids selling Pep Boys parts is ******* rediculous. Look at my ******* cars bro. Look at my shop. Look at that **** and tell me I'd ever support APC or the likes - you can't unless you're a ******* liar.

I'd have no problem with you had you never tried to be all bad-*** and belittle everyone else who had a differeing opinion from yours, but you've shown yourself to be quite the know-it-all assfuck who thinks that we're all impressed by your certifications, and in short we're NOT.

I think a simple apology towards the guy you tried making look stupid is in order, and after that i'll stop "being on your nuts!" and ****.

Old 10-06-2004, 06:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how long before axles will break? (rodney)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rodney &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

right on point as usual, but i need to disagree with this one comment.
i had one car (early 90's, a 88 hatch) with an axle that would tear the steering wheel out of your hands with no notice. didn't click at all, nothing. out of nowhere, at 80mph you are weaving back on forth violently on the highway. it was quite scary, especially for my passengers. happened to me three times before the outer cv just exploded. although uncommon, bad axles can come back to bite you, so i would swap asap.
personally, i had no luck with reman/autozone/parts store axles. i would just rather spend a few more $, and get a set of Raxles. i have many axles issues over the years, and Raxles seem to cure them all. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I had the same problem as you, but when I finally pulled the axles, it was the inner passenger side. I could take the axle shaft and pop it in and out of the inner boot. crazy ****. Damned O'Reileys Auto Parts reman'd axles.
Old 10-06-2004, 06:58 AM
Former Moderator

Default Re: how long before axles will break? (WAFFLES)

BTW Mr. Honda God strikes again with bullshit info!

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1011417

I guess all of those cetifications don't make you qualified to give alignment and suspension tips, eh?

Old 10-06-2004, 07:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Tech monkeys are just that....

monkeys.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: how long before axles will break? (clicking already)