Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Engine block/oil heater pros/cons...........?

Old 10-02-2004, 06:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine block/oil heater pros/cons...........?

I searched, of course.

My Civic is my winter car, and it can get pretty cold here in the wilds of Ohio. I was considering a block or oil heater last year and didn't get one. Can someone knowledgable clue me in which is better, whats available, and if its really worth it? Thanks

Old 10-02-2004, 07:17 AM
Mr. Badwrench

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Engine block/oil heater pros/cons...........? (Erod)

block heaters are more of a creature comfort unless you are in alaska, give it a good warmup and you should be ok.
Old 10-02-2004, 07:59 AM
H-T White Ops

get a block heater that fits into your block's freeze plug. I never got one the whole time I lived in North Dakota. Almost 7 year. Just run 5W30 oil in the winter. I DID have an autostart though.
There are a few options for warming your engine/it's fluids. There's inline coolant pumps that heat and circulate the coolant around your engine. You can get magnetic oil warmers that you can slap on your oil pan when you park the car for the night. Or I've also seen the dipstick kind that are nothing more than a heated dipstick. Not very effective if you ask me.
Look around. Personally I don't think you really need one. Just run some thinner oil.
Old 10-02-2004, 08:03 AM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: (IslandSi)

just get a remote starter like the guy above has...there are settings where you can have the car start up every 3 hours and warm up for 3 mintes if yo ulive in that of a extreme weather my viper 791 has a setting to start up every 3 hours.. just make sure you always have gas
Old 10-02-2004, 09:26 AM
H-T White Ops

Default Re: (ShowTymers619)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ShowTymers619 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">just get a remote starter like the guy above has...there are settings where you can have the car start up every 3 hours and warm up for 3 mintes if yo ulive in that of a extreme weather my viper 791 has a setting to start up every 3 hours.. just make sure you always have gas </TD></TR></TABLE>

The autostart thing is pretty much just for the driver. A block heater is more for the engine. It keeps the fluids in the engine warm during extreme temps. Which means the oil is going to get to vital parts of the engine quicker, reducing dry start damage.

Another thing you could look at is a preluber. It's a pump that pumps your oil around your engine for 30 seconds before you start the car. No more dry starts. Do a google search for it.
Old 10-03-2004, 10:37 AM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: (IslandSi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by IslandSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

The autostart thing is pretty much just for the driver. A block heater is more for the engine. It keeps the fluids in the engine warm during extreme temps. Which means the oil is going to get to vital parts of the engine quicker, reducing dry start damage.

Another thing you could look at is a preluber. It's a pump that pumps your oil around your engine for 30 seconds before you start the car. No more dry starts. Do a google search for it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

actually the setting for the car to keep starting for every 3 hours is specificly for cars in extreme weather its not for the driver
Old 10-03-2004, 01:34 PM
H-T White Ops

Default Re: (ShowTymers619)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ShowTymers619 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">actually the setting for the car to keep starting for every 3 hours is specificly for cars in extreme weather its not for the driver</TD></TR></TABLE>

My compustar has that setting but I never used it. I used the autostart in the morning in the winter. Roll over, hit the alarm clock, roll over the other way and start the car. By the time I get out there it's nice and warm.
I have a preluber wired up to the dome light. When I open the door the preluber's pump kicks in for 30 seconds. Even if I don't wait the full 30 to start the car, everything in the motor is already oiled up and ready to go. Damn good investment if you ask me.

Back on topic though. If the only reason you're looking at getting a block heater is to keep your oil flowing, just run some 5W30 or even 0W30 in the winter. You'll be fine. We only have 4 quarts of oil in there. Not a big deal. Also make sure you check your antifreeze mix and make sure it's good. Nothing sucks more than a radiator that's frozen solid.