Notices
Acura RSX DC5 & Honda Civic EP3 Includes DC5 Integra Type R & 5dr Civic hatchback

Timing Belt | RSX Type-S | When to change?

Old 07-23-2004, 09:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing Belt | RSX Type-S | When to change?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Timing Belt
Search Results
Your search for timing belt returned 0 results.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

With that information, could some one please tell me what the recommended mileage is for changing the timing belt?

Thank you.
Old 07-23-2004, 10:29 AM

Default Re: Timing Belt | RSX Type-S | When to change? (Xymox007)

it's a chain like my S2000. I don't remember an interval, if there even is one. I think my S manual says to inspect at like 105K.
Old 07-23-2004, 12:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you won't need to replace the timing chain unless something goes wrong with it.
Old 07-23-2004, 12:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (rsxmachine)

Thanks guys. Pondering the idea of parting with the GS-R and picking up an RSX.
Old 08-12-2004, 10:42 PM
jus f0 dekarayshunZ

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rsxmachine &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you won't need to replace the timing chain unless something goes wrong with it.</TD></TR></TABLE>wrong ..if something goes wrong with it your fucked..you want to do it when it is scheduled
Old 08-13-2004, 11:56 AM
Meat Robot Invisible

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (ciRcuitSi y0!)

Go to an Acura dealership if you are planning on looking at an RSX anyways and just ask the salesman and then be sure to ask one of the service advisors to confirm. The salesmen don't always know everything about the cars, especially the service reqs. of the cars.
Old 08-13-2004, 12:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ciRcuitSi y0! &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">wrong ..if something goes wrong with it your fucked..you want to do it when it is scheduled</TD></TR></TABLE>there is *no* scheduled replacement of the timing chain on the RSX. it's not like a belt that should be replaced every 90K miles or so. I don't make this stuff up... I find the factory service manual to be a pretty reliable source of information.
Old 08-13-2004, 09:20 PM
jus f0 dekarayshunZ

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rsxmachine &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">there is *no* scheduled replacement of the timing chain on the RSX. it's not like a belt that should be replaced every 90K miles or so. I don't make this stuff up... I find the factory service manual to be a pretty reliable source of information.</TD></TR></TABLE>i highly doubt that there is NO scheduled maintenance for the timing belt. if there were no schedule maintenance then i guess it lasts forever right, like my magic bubble gum that doesnt lose flavor.
Old 08-13-2004, 11:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ciRcuitSi y0! &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i highly doubt that there is NO scheduled maintenance for the timing belt. if there were no schedule maintenance then i guess it lasts forever right, like my magic bubble gum that doesnt lose flavor.</TD></TR></TABLE>

1st, it's not a belt - it's a CHAIN
2nd, CHAINS tend to last mutch longer then rubber belts
3rd, it is quite possible due to the above, that Honda did not specify a replacement time for it, as it's metallic & should last a good long while.....
Old 08-14-2004, 04:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (DJ_SaNdOz)

The manual says the timing chain will last the life of the engine.
Old 08-14-2004, 06:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (davanca24)

yes its a chain not a belt, and there is no required schedule maintence/replacement for it.
Old 08-14-2004, 07:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ciRcuitSi y0! &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i highly doubt that there is NO scheduled maintenance for the timing belt. if there were no schedule maintenance then i guess it lasts forever right, like my magic bubble gum that doesnt lose flavor.</TD></TR></TABLE>and I highly doubt you read this thread very carefully... the CHAIN will last as long as most any other metal engine component, it does not require any replacement or service

Old 08-14-2004, 04:04 PM

They just need to be checked for proper tension every 90,000 miles, they are sappose to last the life of the vehical, alot of cars are converting to timing chains now as they don't require anywhere near as much maintainance, they do however make more noise than a timing belt as the car gets higher in mileage.
Old 08-14-2004, 06:00 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ciRcuitSi y0! &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i highly doubt that there is NO scheduled maintenance for the timing belt. if there were no schedule maintenance then i guess it lasts forever right, like my magic bubble gum that doesnt lose flavor.</TD></TR></TABLE>
you may want to open your eyes when you read ... there is no belt .it is a chain and maintenance says the chain lasts for the life of the engine.
Old 08-18-2004, 12:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

and that last bit is correct

"lasts for life of the engine"

cause when that breaks, your engine is dead heheheh
Old 02-12-2010, 07:50 AM
New User

Originally Posted by alfonzo
you may want to open your eyes when you read ... there is no belt .it is a chain and maintenance says the chain lasts for the life of the engine.

Hey guys just so you all know when a manufacture states something like "lifetime of engine" "no service interval" or anything else like that, what they mean is that it will last past the warranty, and most manufactures want you to buy a new car at that point.

If it breaks after warranty yes you are screwed because then its on you not them.

Also if you are hard on your engine you want to be aware that even-thou its a chain, it can still break, and does break. Down shifting "slamming it into a lower gear" puts A LOT of abuse onto that chain. I always recommend changing the Timing belts at 60-90k miles and Timing chains at 150k to 200k miles. On a Kia I wouldn't recommend waiting past 150k for a chain cause its made cheap for a reason! On a Honda I would see it as a wise investment at 200k but not before then, unless the car has been run low on oil multiple times, in which case it could break by 200k.

In the end Honda Engines DON'T Die, they get KILLED by stupid people that don't maintenance them.
Old 02-13-2010, 08:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Timing Belt | RSX Type-S | When to change?

Yup you have a timing chain an it lasts the lifetime of the car.

It is possible of breaking or jumping. But chances are slim if maintained properly. The tension should be checked at 90k.

You do have a serpentine belt located to the left of the motor that you should change at 90k. Get this belt replaced an your tension checked on your timing chain at 90k.
Old 02-13-2010, 11:09 AM
iv
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Dimabear85
Hey guys just so you all know when a manufacture states something like "lifetime of engine" "no service interval" or anything else like that, what they mean is that it will last past the warranty, and most manufactures want you to buy a new car at that point.

If it breaks after warranty yes you are screwed because then its on you not them.

Also if you are hard on your engine you want to be aware that even-thou its a chain, it can still break, and does break. Down shifting "slamming it into a lower gear" puts A LOT of abuse onto that chain. I always recommend changing the Timing belts at 60-90k miles and Timing chains at 150k to 200k miles. On a Kia I wouldn't recommend waiting past 150k for a chain cause its made cheap for a reason! On a Honda I would see it as a wise investment at 200k but not before then, unless the car has been run low on oil multiple times, in which case it could break by 200k.

In the end Honda Engines DON'T Die, they get KILLED by stupid people that don't maintenance them.

I don't agree timing chains especially in a Honda don't need to be changed unless something happens like the auto tensioner goes out or something other major happens

When honda says life of the engine I doubt they mean 36000 miles I know of ep's with well over 220000 on them running like a champ with no work done to the chain at all.

If the service manual says you don't have to do it you don't

I would however check the auto-tensioner I believe your are supposed to check that at some point if I remember correctly