Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

97 accord a/c help-not COLD

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2004, 10:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 accord a/c help-not COLD

Well, its around 100 degrees here and my girl's 97 accord ex has serious issues making the car comfortably cool.....just won't get nearly as cold as it should and it's full and everything.......I'm thinking the condenser isn't doing it's job but anyway to check it?

Process of elimination seems to point at it......remember, cool but not cold enough so that the car is comfortable.....windows down doesn't help, still 90 degrees in the car like that....75 with the a/c on and windows up
Old 08-01-2004, 11:10 AM

Default Re: 97 accord a/c help-not COLD (fizzbob7)

my 95 accord wasn't even cold after i had it recharged. i replace the t-stat and now it is ice cold. you might want to try that, but it could be something else for your car. good luck...
Old 08-01-2004, 12:12 PM

Default Re: 97 accord a/c help-not COLD (wblakes)

The stat is good and the temp is perfect.........thanks anyway though
Old 08-01-2004, 04:37 PM

This may sound dumb, but did you check to see if the **** is functionally correctly, where you choose your cooling? I've seen ***** that will only go so far even though the operator thinks that they have it set at the lowest possible setting.
Old 08-01-2004, 08:19 PM

Default Re: 97 accord a/c help-not COLD (Canonm7)

Ditto. Thought ultimately my Mr.Mechanic guy said something was messed up with an ??expander valve??, I found that half the time my AC wasnt working because the AC button wanted to go...that...little...bit....further...
Old 08-01-2004, 08:44 PM

check ur freon. u might have a leak , thats y its not as cold as before. i refilled my freon, it was cold, but not anymore.
Old 08-01-2004, 08:47 PM

have some dealer refill ur freon, u should tell him to empty out all of the old one, and refill it wit new freon. dont try to do it urself its too dangerous. it could be dat. or it can also b that u didnt push ur a/c button.
Old 08-08-2004, 01:14 PM

Default Re: 97 accord a/c help-not COLD (mrxhe1neken)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mrxhe1neken &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">have some dealer refill ur freon, u should tell him to empty out all of the old one, and refill it wit new freon. dont try to do it urself its too dangerous. it could be dat. or it can also b that u didnt push ur a/c button.</TD></TR></TABLE>

lol....i almost threw up after readint that i laughed so hard...but anyway......

yes, it's going all the way to the cold side, yes the freon is fresh and full, yes the compressor is working great, no there are no leaks, yes, the fan is on when the a/c is on, blah blah........still think the condensor is just not allowing the system to get rid of excess heat, that's why it's cool, not cold
Old 08-09-2004, 05:36 PM

Here are the only possible reasons your a/c will not blow cold.

1. You have a restriction in the system (which can be seen on an a/c machine by reading the pressure guages on the low and high side. Which consiquently would be the only reason you replace your expansion valve.

2. A faulty A/C thermostat.

3. Inoperable cooling fans (both should be on if your a/c is on). I have also seen a fan lose some of it's speed as it gets older, thus lowering the cooling efficiency.

4. Not enough OR too much freon (a possible leak).

5. Your blend door is not fully closing (ie. someone took your dash apart and didn't re-install the heater control cable properly, or something broke not letting it fully close).

FYI, anytime you open the system (ie. replace a part) make sure you install a new receiver/dryer. Also, pull a vacuum on the system for at least 30 min. to get all the moisture out before you recharge it.

Don't put more than 1.42 lbs of freon in your Accord.
Old 08-09-2004, 06:48 PM

Default Re: 97 accord a/c help-not COLD (Escobar)

It don't see it being your expansion valve like your mechanic said. if it was then you would have no a/c at all. don't quote me cause it has been 6 months since graduating lincoln tech but your expansion vale has something to do with transfering from hot to cold. if it is borke you wouldn't have any cold at all. what you also need to look at is your a/c may be working fine. say it is 90 and humid outside, your cars a/c is only going to make your car only but so cold like say 75. you normally won' t feel a drastic change but you will notice that your car is cooler than outside. also like in my 97 accord i have no tints and it reaches like 85 the sun heats up my interior and when i turn on my a/c it never really cools down the inside if i had a insulator such as tints then i can probaly see my ac being alot colder than normal. IMO