Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

How does the auto tensioner for the timing belt work?

Old 08-05-2004, 09:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How does the auto tensioner for the timing belt work?

title says it all. also how would you know if it wasnt working properly? sorry for all the dumb questions.
Old 08-05-2004, 09:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: How does the auto tensioner for the timing belt work? (killa_lude)

There is a spring that pulls on the belt when the bolt is loose. it helps to take the timing cover off and use your hand so you can get the belt tight.
Old 08-05-2004, 09:55 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by killa_lude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">title says it all. also how would you know if it wasnt working properly? sorry for all the dumb questions.</TD></TR></TABLE>

A normal tensioner or an auto tensioner.. The auto one uses a spring drive and hydraulic fluid..
Old 08-05-2004, 01:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How does the auto tensioner for the timing belt work? (tgreaves)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tgreaves &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

A normal tensioner or an auto tensioner.. The auto one uses a spring drive and hydraulic fluid..</TD></TR></TABLE>

oh well i guess a normal tensioner. for the timing belt on a honda.
Old 08-05-2004, 01:29 PM

Honda has 2 different types of timing belt tensioners.. Thats why I was asking..
Old 08-05-2004, 04:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well its on a prelude.
Old 08-06-2004, 07:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Call it what you will....I own a 99 Civic, stock D16Y7 - whatever tensioner assembly it uses, it 'self adjusts' using the spring.
Old 08-06-2004, 07:55 AM

Default Re: How does the auto tensioner for the timing belt work? (EE_Chris)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EE_Chris &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Call it what you will....I own a 99 Civic, stock D16Y7 - whatever tensioner assembly it uses, it 'self adjusts' using the spring.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not on the preludes.. There are tensioners that use a spring and ones that dont.. The 92-96 preludes use the spring tensioners and the 97-01 preludes use the auto tensioners with hydraulic fluid..

Its part #23 in this diagram..

http://www.slhondaparts.com/br...=true
Old 08-06-2004, 08:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So how different is the procedure using the hydraulic piece - I assume the spring version works just like a Civics though?
Old 08-06-2004, 09:17 AM

Default Re: How does the auto tensioner for the timing belt work? (EE_Chris)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EE_Chris &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So how different is the procedure using the hydraulic piece - I assume the spring version works just like a Civics though?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Correct.. The spring version is the same as on the civics..

With the auto tensioner you have to remove the bolt on the bottom of it and turn a screw which pulls the tensioner all the way open.. Then honda makes a special part to keep the tensioner open that you slip on to it.. You put the bolt back in and put the tensioner on.. Then put the timing belt on and all that and pull the special part off of the tensioner and wala.. Its tensioned.. When you crank the car over to start it, it takes all the tension out and over time every timing belt streches a little bit and this tensioner keep it tight forever..

Sounds like a good idea but really it sucks.. Its a PITA to get it all together and I have heard of one case where the auto tensioner failed and the timing belt came loose..
Old 08-06-2004, 04:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so can you manually tighten the spring type like in a 92-96 lude?
Old 08-06-2004, 10:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump
Old 08-07-2004, 10:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tgreaves &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Not on the preludes.. There are tensioners that use a spring and ones that dont.. The 92-96 preludes use the spring tensioners and the 97-01 preludes use the auto tensioners with hydraulic fluid.</TD></TR></TABLE>

this is incorrect info. The F22 and h23 equipped preludes use the manual style tensioner. ALL H22 engines came with the auto tensioner.

The hydraulic auto tensioner is problematic. With the upper timing belt cover removed and THE ENGINE OFF, there should be little play in the timing belt. If there is a lot of play then the tensioner could be bad. With the same cover removed and the engine running, timing belt deflection (side to side motion) should be less than 1/2" inch. a flapping sound (timing belt hitting the plastic cover) or deflection more than a half inch indicates tension loss. Upgrade to the manual style tensioner.
Old 08-07-2004, 11:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How does the auto tensioner for the timing belt work? (2point6)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 2point6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

this is incorrect info. The F22 and h23 equipped preludes use the manual style tensioner. ALL H22 engines came with the auto tensioner.

The hydraulic auto tensioner is problematic. With the upper timing belt cover removed and THE ENGINE OFF, there should be little play in the timing belt. If there is a lot of play then the tensioner could be bad. With the same cover removed and the engine running, timing belt deflection (side to side motion) should be less than 1/2" inch. a flapping sound (timing belt hitting the plastic cover) or deflection more than a half inch indicates tension loss. Upgrade to the manual style tensioner.</TD></TR></TABLE>

alright cool cool.
Old 08-07-2004, 12:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 2point6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

The hydraulic auto tensioner is problematic. With the upper timing belt cover removed and THE ENGINE OFF, there should be little play in the timing belt. If there is a lot of play then the tensioner could be bad. With the same cover removed and the engine running, timing belt deflection (side to side motion) should be less than 1/2" inch. a flapping sound (timing belt hitting the plastic cover) or deflection more than a half inch indicates tension loss. Upgrade to the manual style tensioner.</TD></TR></TABLE>

hey scott, you're still alive!
anyway, i worked with many 4G63 and they have the auto tensioner, i have never seen one fail, but i have never worked in one with high compression, wouldn't it be better to just change the tensioner (to the same auto tensioner) when you do the timming belt??? i just think is weird for one of them to fail, but like everything made in life, for each thousand made, there has to be one that is faulty.

I know you have the manual tensioner, so how often do you check the tension of the belt?
Old 08-07-2004, 01:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How does the auto tensioner for the timing belt work? (GZERO)

lol... yes I am still alive, at least when I woke up this morning I was. Yep, I made it to another one... HELL YEAH! I personally have worked on a few 4g63's also and never have I seen a tensioner fail on those engines. They are similar to the hondas set up but the spring on the inside of the honda tensioner seems to not hold up as well. I am frequently replacing these on cars brought into my shop and they are converted to the manual style. When I worked at the dealership I saw there was an update, but even those "new" tensioners have been prone to failure. Some do... some don't. I would rather not take the chance with my engine. As far as checking tension.... I wold say once a week or more since I am always messing with my car. Infact whenever I look at a customers car or a friends, if their timing belt is exposed, it is the first thing I check.
Old 08-07-2004, 04:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

where is a good place to get a manual tensioner?
Old 08-09-2004, 11:52 AM

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Didnt know that.. I though just the 97-01 h22 came with it.. I knew the d23's had the manual ones.. I also hear alot of people going to the manual tensioner on the h22 often..
Old 08-09-2004, 11:53 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by killa_lude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">where is a good place to get a manual tensioner?</TD></TR></TABLE>

From an h23.. Or you can order a new one from slhondaparts.com
Old 08-09-2004, 03:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok thanks
Old 08-09-2004, 11:41 PM

When I first did a timing belt on a Lude SH, I was told that the tensioner should be replaced because that's what the TECH's do.. Since this was before I became a Tech, I was like whatever and adjusted the auto tensioner. And guess what, one week later, I found myself putting in a brand spanking new auto tensioner just because I tried to save the guy a few bucks..

Oh and if you're doing a T-Belt on the Lude, don't move the balance shafts..