Notices
Honda Motorcycles Honda Powersports: riding, maintenance, gear, and safety.

1984 Honda V65 magna 1100CC

Old 08-04-2004, 11:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1984 Honda V65 magna 1100CC

Hey guys. I'm new to this forum. I just have a question about my 1984 Honga V64 Magna.
First of all I hear they are really good bikes, not sure. I heard that the cams were the weakest poinht in the engine, they seemed to ware out alot. Anyway, my bike hasn't had that rouble, I bought it at aroound 56000KM, and original cams are still in it.
Onto my question:

My bike has a bit of a noise in it. it doesn't seem to be the engine. But when I start it up, and the choke is on, the bike doesn't make a raddle. But as soon as the choke is pushed in, and the idle comes down, the bike makes an awful raddling noise. Now, I've checked it over, and what I find weird is that, the raddle disapears WHEN you pull in on the clutch. The raddle doesn't raddle when you give the bike any throttle. SOOOO, it's obviously something to do with the clutch. i want to avoid buying anew clutch, for that is expensive. Hopefully some generous human being can give me some tips to check out.

thanx for your time fellow riders.

Trippy_C out

Take care.
Old 08-04-2004, 11:33 AM
What is this crap?

Received 57 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Re: 1984 Honda V65 magna 1100CC (Trippy_C)

the V65 engine eats cams because at low rpm, the oil pump does not provide enough oil to the heads to properly lube the cams. many bikes recieved oil mods to provide an externally routed oil souce to the head. maybe you got lucky and got one of these.

definitely a clutch issue, which i have little experience with....just wanted to chime in on the V65, i lusted after one of those for a long time but couldnt find a decent one to buy.

Old 08-05-2004, 08:06 AM

Default Re: 1984 Honda V65 magna 1100CC (falconGSR)

Would anyone know what could be making the raddling noise? Would it just be loose? The clutch doesn't slip, so I doubt it'd be loose. I'm taking off the side cover, and just wondering what I should be looking for aswell...
thanx
cya
Old 08-05-2004, 08:15 AM
What is this crap?

i doubt you will need a new clutch altogether. i wouldnt hesitate to have a reputable shop look at it. just to see what they say.

it might be a common issue and the mechanic will know what it is just by sound. try to get an older guy whose worked on them before. not some young punk.

that bike was the original badass. before the Vmax came out and trumped it.

Old 08-05-2004, 08:21 PM

thankx for your help. it is a nice bike though.
A guy dropped it off his truck, while he was loading it, he got pissed, and sold it for 100 bucks. (Canadian bucks) And all the damage he did to it was knock the rubber boots off the carbs, and he broke the... air box I think it was. yea, anyway, engine sounds way cool, lots of friggin power, drove it up and down the driveway a few times, massive power, takes my dads 800cc marauder and throws it out the window.
needs to be all shined up though, anywho, thanx for your help, much appreciated.
Old 08-05-2004, 08:27 PM
What is this crap?

you're lucky! i'd pay $100US for it!!
Old 08-15-2004, 06:56 AM

Hey there.
Question about some electronics for the V65.

Ok, the original flasher burnt out for the single lights, on the bike, and it was replaced with a automobile flasher. The original flasher has 3 wire hookup, and the auto flasher has 2 wire hookup. All the single lights work. But could someone tell me what the 3 wires are for? I think the third wire goes to a spark unit, as far as I can see in the book.

NOTHING on the dash works. The lihts don't work, the gauges don't work, the tac doesn't work and the spedometer doesn't work.

Could you guys give me any advice on this subject, that could help me?

There's 3 wires that come off the altenator. all 3 of these wires werein a plug. But 2 of the wires got so hot that the plug melted. So I took the 2 wires out, and put wired them up, outsdie the plug. the other wire doesn't get to hot, it gets warm, but that may just be from the engine. The other 2 wires get pretty hot.
Also, the rectifier get's very hot aswell.

So, could I please get some adviceon this subject, if you guys can help me, that would be most excelent

thank you for your time fellow riders,

-Chris
Old 06-26-2011, 07:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Trippy_C
Hey there.
Question about some electronics for the V65.

Ok, the original flasher burnt out for the single lights, on the bike, and it was replaced with a automobile flasher. The original flasher has 3 wire hookup, and the auto flasher has 2 wire hookup. All the single lights work. But could someone tell me what the 3 wires are for? I think the third wire goes to a spark unit, as far as I can see in the book.

NOTHING on the dash works. The lihts don't work, the gauges don't work, the tac doesn't work and the spedometer doesn't work.

Could you guys give me any advice on this subject, that could help me?

There's 3 wires that come off the altenator. all 3 of these wires werein a plug. But 2 of the wires got so hot that the plug melted. So I took the 2 wires out, and put wired them up, outsdie the plug. the other wire doesn't get to hot, it gets warm, but that may just be from the engine. The other 2 wires get pretty hot.
Also, the rectifier get's very hot aswell.

So, could I please get some adviceon this subject, if you guys can help me, that would be most excelent

thank you for your time fellow riders,

-Chris
I own an 84 V65 Magna 1100 also. I love this bike. Sure, I may get brain damage at some point and buy a Harley, but I will never sell this bike. Anyway, you were asking about a rattling when you start your bike. Mine has the same noise. I've taken it to a couple different shops in a couple states. I've been told, and I believe them, that the noise is common for this model. It's the fuel pump. If you leave it idle for a while, it will stop, but you will hear it start up again a little later. I was told it was no big deal, they just make that noise. I've had it since I bought the bike 5 years ago and have had no trouble with it.

As far as your wiring troubles, there's nothing more frustrating than a wiring problem. If it were me, I would find a new wiring harness for the bike and replace the whole thing. Trust me, your bike is well worth any money and sweat you will eventually put into it. I ride with the Patriot Guard Riders and while I've seen several Harleys drop out of a run, my bike's never let me down. Every time I attend a rally somewhere, I ALWAYS have a Harley rider come up and ask what year it is and want to talk about it. You have a great bike there, don't band-aid it. Put the money and sweat into making it as close to original as you can. It's worth it.
Old 06-27-2011, 02:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: 1984 Honda V65 magna 1100CC

You bumped a nearly 7 year old thread you idiot. This guy is likely long gone. I'm changing my location now.
Old 06-27-2011, 04:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Ozark
I own an 84 V65 Magna 1100 also. I love this bike. Sure, I may get brain damage at some point and buy a Harley, but I will never sell this bike. Anyway, you were asking about a rattling when you start your bike. Mine has the same noise. I've taken it to a couple different shops in a couple states. I've been told, and I believe them, that the noise is common for this model. It's the fuel pump. If you leave it idle for a while, it will stop, but you will hear it start up again a little later. I was told it was no big deal, they just make that noise. I've had it since I bought the bike 5 years ago and have had no trouble with it.

As far as your wiring troubles, there's nothing more frustrating than a wiring problem. If it were me, I would find a new wiring harness for the bike and replace the whole thing. Trust me, your bike is well worth any money and sweat you will eventually put into it. I ride with the Patriot Guard Riders and while I've seen several Harleys drop out of a run, my bike's never let me down. Every time I attend a rally somewhere, I ALWAYS have a Harley rider come up and ask what year it is and want to talk about it. You have a great bike there, don't band-aid it. Put the money and sweat into making it as close to original as you can. It's worth it.
Normally I would you for bumping an old thread, but you have a v65 magna too! Unfortunately you wont find any appreciation or help with your v65 on honda-tech. I would say 99.9% of members here have never even heard of a v65 magna. Come join http://v4hondabbs.com/

If you have problems registering just send me a message and I will get you added to the site. V4honda is selective in the registering process so we can keep out the retards and the mods over there will ban you for being ignorant, unlike honda-tech.
Old 11-01-2011, 11:00 AM
Trial User

I would like to join that V4 honda website but it will not allow me. I just purchased a 1983 V65 magna in excellent condition with a corbin seat a month ago. I'm wondering if the blinker flasher wiring for a car flasher online works and should I risk trying it?
Old 11-03-2011, 07:58 PM
GDD 1%

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My second bike was an 83 V65. Awesome cruiser with some serious torque that nobody is aware of.

I'll ignore the OP's problem, but for the flasher unit get an OEM one from Honda.

My Dad bought my V65 (his 2nd) when I bought something else, and he still has it. 9.9/10 condition, and he has tons of NOS parts (tanks, exhaust, etc.).

Old 06-20-2013, 06:49 PM
Trial User

New to the forum and just purchased the motorcycle. I have a couple of questions. Do these bikes having a timing chain or belt?

The previous owner said that he was riding it and pulled into a friend's drive way. The bike was on its stand and was idling. It suddenly sounded like a chain rattling and shut off. It won't restart. Is that the timing chain? or what could it be? Appreciate the help.

Joe

Last edited by MSchu; 07-03-2013 at 01:13 PM.
Old 07-03-2013, 03:55 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by Trippy_C
Hey guys. I'm new to this forum. I just have a question about my 1984 Honga V64 Magna.
First of all I hear they are really good bikes, not sure. I heard that the cams were the weakest poinht in the engine, they seemed to ware out alot. Anyway, my bike hasn't had that rouble, I bought it at aroound 56000KM, and original cams are still in it.
Onto my question:

My bike has a bit of a noise in it. it doesn't seem to be the engine. But when I start it up, and the choke is on, the bike doesn't make a raddle. But as soon as the choke is pushed in, and the idle comes down, the bike makes an awful raddling noise. Now, I've checked it over, and what I find weird is that, the raddle disapears WHEN you pull in on the clutch. The raddle doesn't raddle when you give the bike any throttle. SOOOO, it's obviously something to do with the clutch. i want to avoid buying anew clutch, for that is expensive. Hopefully some generous human being can give me some tips to check out.

thanx for your time fellow riders.

Trippy_C out

Take care.
Old 07-03-2013, 03:58 AM
Trial User

My 1984 v65 with 60, 000 miles on her. I purchased in 1986 has always made that noise.
Old 07-03-2013, 01:13 PM
My Name is Nobody

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

belt? not likely... perhaps a older duacti had belts. if you're so lucky, many of the Honda V's are gear driven.