Notices
Acura Integra Type-R All Integra Type R Discussions

urea grease?

Old 08-02-2004, 03:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default urea grease?

I am working on the slave cylinder and helms says to use high temp urea grease...what the heck is this stuff? i just went to honda and they had no idea what it is either..."just some grease" is what they told me. so after $14 later and a VERY small bottle of high temp urea grease...im left feeling dazed and confused. anyone shed some light?

also helms says to use brake assembly lube or any grease that is suitablke for rubber. autozone and pepboys had no idea which grease i could use for this. they were mostly petroleum based grease...can you use petroleum grease on rubber? so what kind of grease can i use for this. i need to also overhaul the brakes. thanks for any help.
Old 08-02-2004, 05:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: urea grease? (Art Vandeleigh)

I dunno man, I use white lithium grease for just about everything that needs grease
Old 08-02-2004, 05:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just used All purpose grease from Castrol. Never had a problem.
Old 08-02-2004, 06:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

At my local Acura dealer I know for a fact that they have Honda High Temp Urea grease I dont know about the other stuff.
Old 08-02-2004, 07:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (01ITR640)

Dude, I would just pee on it.

-Chris

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=urea

u·re·a ( P ) Pronunciation Key (y-r)
n.
A water-soluble compound, CO(NH2)2, that is the major nitrogenous end product of protein metabolism and is the chief nitrogenous component of the urine in mammals and other organisms. Also called carbamide.

[New Latin, from French urée, from urine, urine, from Old French, from Latin rna. See urine.]

Old 08-02-2004, 07:54 PM

White Lithium grease eats polyurethane bushings up so just don't ever use those togeather. My $.02
Old 08-02-2004, 07:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ccfries)

That little can of Urea grease will last your entire life, Chris bought one and it's still almost full.

Austin
Old 08-02-2004, 08:47 PM

Default Re: (Austin)

ok...so what the heck is it? is it petroleum based? does not smell like it...so i was wondering what the heck it is. also the lithium grease i am pretty sure is SAFE to use on rubber parts...but is petroluem grease SAFE to use on rubber? what do you all use to grease up the rubber boots and other rubber crap on the car? lithium?
thanks

art-who is still confused about urea grease.
Old 08-02-2004, 09:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Art Vandeleigh)

urea is the major component of urine... gives it that distinct smell...

Modified by jiahanhao at 6:13 AM 8/3/2004
Old 08-02-2004, 09:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jiahanhao)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jiahanhao &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">urea is the major component of urine... gives it that distinct smell...
</TD></TR></TABLE>

It's also used in some prescription strength moisturizers used to treat severe eczema.
Old 08-03-2004, 03:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah dude thats gross....
Old 08-03-2004, 04:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I just did my clutch/flywheel, I used hi temp Mobil 1 Grease. I found out a long time ago that if you use white lithium bazsed grease on clutch parts it hardens and starts to bind up. Mobil 1 Synthetic grease is 4$ at pep boys for a big *** container.
Old 08-03-2004, 07:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Art Vandeleigh &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">.....also helms says to use brake assembly lube or any grease that is suitablke for rubber. autozone and pepboys had no idea which grease i could use for this. they were mostly petroleum based grease...can you use petroleum grease on rubber? so what kind of grease can i use for this. i need to also overhaul the brakes. thanks for any help. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Permatex Caliper Lube

http://www.permatex.com/auto/a...20355
Old 08-03-2004, 07:32 PM
Trial User

Default Re: urea grease? (stumpyf4)

bluer on h-t is a dealer for millit (spelling?) which makes military spec high temp grease. pep boys (or any such place) will sell lithium grease, urea grease, etc. urea grease has a tan color. petroleum grease is black and lithium is white.
Old 08-03-2004, 10:28 PM

Default Re: (kengs)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kengs &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

It's also used in some prescription strength moisturizers used to treat severe eczema.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Kengs you're just so intelligent! JDM Junkie / Resident Pharmacist
Old 08-03-2004, 10:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: urea grease? (magic hat #9)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by magic hat #9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">bluer on h-t is a dealer for millit (spelling?) which makes military spec high temp grease. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Are u referring to that Militec stuff?? It's not all that great, at least not for guns...I prefer my German grease
Old 08-03-2004, 10:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: urea grease? (kengs)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kengs &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Are u referring to that Militec stuff?? It's not all that great, at least not for guns...I prefer my German grease </TD></TR></TABLE>

And what do you use that german grease for?
Old 08-03-2004, 10:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EKology)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EKology &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Kengs you're just so intelligent! JDM Junkie / Resident Pharmacist </TD></TR></TABLE>

He is really a woman in disguise.

You and your JDM cosmetics
Old 08-03-2004, 10:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EKology)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EKology &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Kengs you're just so intelligent! JDM Junkie / Resident Pharmacist </TD></TR></TABLE>

LOL, you'd prolly know it too if u had kids...
Old 08-04-2004, 12:40 AM

Default Re: urea grease? (magic hat #9)

welll since i could not find the answeres here I went reasearching and this is what I have come up with about GREASE.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by magic hat #9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">. urea grease has a tan color. petroleum grease is black and lithium is white.</TD></TR></TABLE>
this statement is not totally true. urea grease and all other greases mentioned above, all that i have seen and have come upon by my research have been of almost all different colors. So you cant really make a blanket statement like this.

From my research so far on grease, greases unless otherwise stated is almost always 70-90% liquid petroleum oils made semi-fluid or semi-solid by adding a thickening agent. This thickening agent usually 5-25% of total grease content is usually a metallic soap such as aluminum, lithium, sodium, or calcium. Also there are some additives ranging in total grease content from about 0-10%. These additives can be anything under the sun.

Grease consistency is rated by the NLGI (National Lubricating Grease Institute). They begin with grade #000 and increase in whole numbers through #6. It is a test they perform that I wont get into here. But basically it just determines the depth in mm that a particular grease can penetrate at 25C or 77F.

You should also look at the dropping point in F of the grease in question. This si the temp at which the grease turns into a liquid. But what I have found is that these greases really are not the best for rubber or synthetic rubber. What you need is a grease called PBR grease. Essex.com sells this grease. It will not degrade rubber or synthetic rubber so it is safe to use on any rubber surface.

But as for urea grease. The full name is Poly-urea grease. This is a also a petroleum based grease but what differs this grease from others is that the thickening agent is not a metallic SOAP!!!!! This allows the grease to handle very HIGH temps.

Anyway, Hope this has helped you to have a better understanding of grease.
Old 08-04-2004, 12:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

for the rubber parts, just use silicon grease. it's used on the brake caliper slides, etc. and it's usually rated to 450 degrees or so. for the slave, i always use moly lube. yea, the same stuff you put on the back of brake pads/shims. that stuff is MEANT to protect metal/metal contact, and it's good til 750 degrees, and it's way cheaper than urea grease.
Old 09-19-2004, 10:58 AM

Default Re: urea grease? (.D2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by .D2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I dunno man, I use white lithium grease for just about everything that needs grease </TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 09-19-2004, 01:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: urea grease? (Slow_Em1)

white lithium for me too....
Old 09-19-2004, 04:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Art Vandeleigh &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">welll since i could not find the answeres here I went reasearching and this is what I have come up with about GREASE. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Awesome info man, thanks for sharing your research.
Old 09-19-2004, 05:13 PM

Default Re: urea grease? (Dr Pooface)

I KNOW ABOUT UREA GREASE! lol.

Anyways, its in a little container. The color is a dark greenish blue. Smells like uhmm old books. Not that anyone knows what old books smell like. Anyways, the part number on the container is 08798-9002 H / C 3720984.
When I was at honda, I used urea grease around the seals right where the axle goes into.
Lithium grease on the caliper bolts, and lug nuts, and the hood hinges. All purpose grease on the antenea. The honda manual says what particular grease to use on certain aspects of the car.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: urea grease?