Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Changing throttle body & TPS

Old 06-27-2004, 08:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing throttle body & TPS

Ok my dad asked to research this one a bit. I'm fairly good working on cars, but I've only worked on my pickup and on my accord. My dad however, has a 2002 volvo s80. Well his car has had surging problems, and he took it into the dealership and they said that he needs a new throttle body and a throttle position sensor. They want to charge him $3000 to fix it. Yeah, right

So I figure there can't be a whole lot of difference between cars, so what all would it take to make the same repairs on an accord? As far as I know, the throttle body linkage would have to have a final calibration by the dealership once you installed the new one yourself, but is there any reason why we couldn't do this stuff ourselves? I'm not even familiar with what a TPS is exactly, let alone where its located or how to install a new one. Any help is appreciated, thank
Old 06-27-2004, 11:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Changing throttle body & TPS (swift535)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by swift535 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ok my dad asked to research this one a bit. I'm fairly good working on cars, but I've only worked on my pickup and on my accord. My dad however, has a 2002 volvo s80. Well his car has had surging problems, and he took it into the dealership and they said that he needs a new throttle body and a throttle position sensor. They want to charge him $3000 to fix it. Yeah, right

So I figure there can't be a whole lot of difference between cars, so what all would it take to make the same repairs on an accord? As far as I know, the throttle body linkage would have to have a final calibration by the dealership once you installed the new one yourself, but is there any reason why we couldn't do this stuff ourselves? I'm not even familiar with what a TPS is exactly, let alone where its located or how to install a new one. Any help is appreciated, thank</TD></TR></TABLE>

Dood... There CAN be a whole lot of difference between cars... it's dependant on how Volvo designed the TPS... you could have to remove a million things to get to it or it could be part of another component entirely...

Not to be rude about it but go find a volvo forum and ask them...but if you don't kno wwhat a TPS is and wouldn't know where to look I'd think you're better off paying someone else to do it...

for a volvo question in the Accord forum...
Old 06-27-2004, 11:15 AM

would it help if you spent just under 20 dollars and bought the manual for the car your father owns, that way you can get an idea of what to do, posting here wont do it, there are so many different cars out there and none of them are the same, its best if you find vehicle-specific info, or you seriously might be in trouble if you do something the wrong way, i suggest finding the manual for the car.
Old 06-28-2004, 04:23 AM

yeah I'm posting it up in volvo forums as well, but a lot of s80 owners are rich old bastards who have never picked up a wrench. Thanks anyways
Old 07-23-2004, 05:20 PM

Default Re: (swift535)

a tps sensor is a throttle possition sensor. On hondas its located in the rear of the throttle body and is a bitch to get off because the two screws that hold it in have a flat head. (I'm in the proccess of trying to replace mine). as your throttle opens, the springs behind the tps twist with it and that sends the signal through the sensor. I'm speaking only for hondas now..... if he is having surging problems the tps could be the problem. for hondas they do not make or sell a tps by itself, they require you by the entire throttle body ($700 from dealership) but people on this site can sell you one for $30-$60. the tps is a very important sensor and shouldnt be over looked but at the same time bring it to the dealers attention that you know what your talking about and your not gonna be taken for $3000. perhaps find a good sensor and take it to him and have him install it. that way you wouldnt have to buy a new throttle body and would prolly just end up paying an hour of mechanics time. thats my $.02 take it or leave it but its better info than what those dicks before posted.