Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Blown up 91 Accord Engine - how far can one run without oil in the engine?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2004, 10:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blown up 91 Accord Engine - how far can one run without oil in the engine?

Driving my 91 Accord EXR station on the highway - engine blows. Luckily I had bought into an extra engine & transmission 10K miles warranty. Have the wagon towed to the nearest warranty service center. The mechanics takes a look - says there's no oil in the carter, you're not covered. Bummer...
But I just went for an oil and filter change a couple of days earlier at the local garage.
The warranty mechanics immediately suspects that the old oil was drained out but new oil was never put in the engine - it's possible since the mechanics had a couple of other items to look at on the car. So... could I have run for 200 miles over a span of three days without any oil in the engine ... until it blows up without a warning? The oil mechanic says it's impossible, I would'nt have gone 5 miles before a problem developed. Another mechanic says it's quite possible to have run 200 miles before the blow up. There is no trace of oil or oil fumes anywhere. Where could the oil have gone if it was put in the engine? Help!!!
Old 07-22-2004, 12:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Blown up 91 Accord Engine - how far can one run without oil in the engine? (giromar)

dry fraction on the honda motor will last you a good 10 miles, once you stop the car, NO WAY IN HELL you will get it crank and start up.

should've save the link to the page, some dude is just finishing a swap, he left the car with a complete swap sitting in his garage. The only problem is that the motor have no oil, so how his sister took the car out without knowing. needless to say the newly swapped motor is toasted/seized.
Old 07-22-2004, 09:52 AM

Default Re: Blown up 91 Accord Engine - how far can one run without oil in the engine? (iam7head)

No question - the engine is fried. Needs to be swapped.

The issue of contention here is the warranty : is it possible that this engine could have run 200 miles with only drips of oil in the block? If not, then there was oil in the block but where did it go? No sign of leaks, no fumes, but yet no oil in the block!!! Could the oil have evaporated without leaving trace? Humpphh...

Otherwise everything points to the garage not putting new oil in the block!!! How to prove it ?

Old 07-22-2004, 10:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Blown up 91 Accord Engine - how far can one run without oil in the engine? (giromar)

did you stop the car in anyway?
like turning it off and restarting it in your trip?

sounds like the oil change place just toasted your new motor
Old 07-22-2004, 10:16 AM

Why didn't your oil dummy light come on
Old 07-22-2004, 10:47 AM

Default Re: (biggs2.2)

It all happened in a second: the dummy light went on, the engine started behaving funny with a strange defunct noise. I was on the highway, I did maybe 1000 feet to park the car in a safe area, turned the engine off and that was it. Had the car towed to the closest warranty service center and that's when after a quick inspection, I was told that there was no sign of oil in the block and that the engine was obviously toasted...

The point of contention is : was there ever oil in the block after the oil change? The warranty service center believe it's impossible there could have been oil since there is no sign of it. The oil garage on the other hand claims that I couldn't have gone 200 miles before the engine toasted if there wasn't any or very little oil !!!

I'm told by a 'car dude' buddy that it's quite possible that I could have done 200 miles before it seized !

Anyways the car is now at the service center waiting for a decision on my part (swap the engine) and I have to figure who I need to go after : the oil garage or the warranty service center. I don't feel I've done anything neglectfull...
Old 07-22-2004, 11:26 AM
Global Moderator

Received 419 Likes on 389 Posts
Default Re: (giromar)

The fault is the oil change garage. The warranty service center does not have to cover the damage due to negligence of another party.
Old 07-22-2004, 01:14 PM

Default Re: (tech8)

your drain plug probably wasn't tightened down all the way and as you were driving it loosened up, it fell out, and then say goodbye to your oil.
Old 07-22-2004, 01:22 PM

You better get a new motor out of the oil change place. If you have the reciepts im sure you can prove its their fault.Sorry to hear this.
Old 07-22-2004, 05:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (biggs2.2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by biggs2.2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">your drain plug probably wasn't tightened down all the way and as you were driving it loosened up, it fell out, and then say goodbye to your oil.</TD></TR></TABLE>

this sounds like the most likely scenario.

if you really had no oil in it, you would have gotten a oil light on the dash before you made it out of the parking lot of the quick-lube place.

hope you know a lawyer, you're going to need one. good luck getting one cent out of either place
Old 07-22-2004, 05:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (jweller)

ovbiously the oil leaked out......so the drain plug had to not be on tight enough......otherewise theyre be signs of leakage.......is the drain plug in place/tightened down?