Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

legalizing your jdm itr motor!

Old 06-25-2004, 01:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default legalizing your jdm itr motor!

Okay well the story starts out like this, a couple of months ago I decided to buy a jdm 96 spec b18c type r motor. I had the help from a friend install the motor with in a week. The car felt great with this new motor swapped in, there was a significant increase in low to mid range torque which I love. (b18c1 lacked torque!)

Fast forward 2 months later, I got pulled over on 280, cop asks if I have any other mods to my car other than exhaust, and I said no. He tells me to pop my hood and notices my dc jdm 4-1 header with out a carb number. The cop got pissed and wrote me up for speeding and my header. (btw I was doing approx. 75 at 1am with not a car in sight, wasn't even in a hurry).

Ok well I did alot of research on if its possible to make a jdm type r motor legal, I couldn't find many people who have gotten their jdm R swap bar'd but many b16/b18c gsr's bar'd. So I figured if it could be done with a gsr motor why not a type r? below is a list of parts that'll be required to make a jdm type r swap legal into a integra chassis.

1. stock header

2. stock cat. (this will work better than an after market unit, plus you'll probably need the extra cat. material to make up for higher compression.)

3. usdm intake manifold (jdm doesn't have purge solenoid nipple)

4. purge solenoid

5. usdm type r ecu ( since my car is a 2k year model I needed a 2k year model ecu, which is obdIIb also I had to get my key programmed to this usdm ecu sine there is an immobilizer)

6. usdm obdII oil pump (the one with mounting brackets for the CKF [crank fluctuation sensor])

7. CKF sensor

8. usdm crank gear ( the jdm one has the key welded to the gear)

9. usdm obdII lower timing belt cover.

10. usdm vtec solenoid (the whole unit which mounts to the head with the 3 10mm screws, the jdm unit doesn't have an oil pressure sensor)

11. crank gear key

12. not a part but I was told that the jdm throttle body is different compared to the usdm throttle body. One major difference is that theres a thin semi long nipple sticking out at the top of the throttle body, I just broke mine off. Now it looks like a usdm model and I passed with it too.

here are some pictures to help you understand which parts I'm refering to in the list above.

Here is the intake manifold, the one on the right is a usdm spec model, the differene is the nipple next to the brake booster.

heres another picture of the usdm spec intake manifold, this is a close up of the nipple thats needed for the evap purge solenoid.

heres what the evap purge solenoid looks like Oh yeah you must use black hoses, I failed the first time because my hoses were clear

this is the jdm thorttle body which I passed with, you can see traces of broken or bent metal if you look closely, the nipple that was there on top of the throttle body I just bent off

This is a usdm obdII oil pump with CKF sensor on it, this is a must if your going to run an usdm ecu

heres the two crank gears, notice one has teeth so the CKF sensor can read the crank fluctuation helps prevent detonation better

heres the jdm crank gear, notice the key is welded to the gear, you'll need a new key

here you can see the difference between usdm and jdm lower timing belt covers, I think the jdm is equivalent to an obdI lower timing belt cover. The jdm unit is on the left

This is a jdm vtec solenoid unit, the top and lower portion. The usdm one has a sensor for the oil pressure, it looks green.

This is the end result of all the hard work
Old 06-25-2004, 02:05 PM

Default Re: legalizing your jdm itr motor! (2kgs-R)

good job and yes lots of work. all worth it now. you can smog anywhere and not have to pay anyone extra.
Old 06-25-2004, 05:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: legalizing your jdm itr motor! (smart monkey)

Yup thats true. I hope this is helpful to whom ever is trying to bar their jdm motor, this is my contribution to h-t.com
Old 06-25-2004, 06:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey I talked to you earlier today about your engine good to hear you didn't have to ditch it, to legalize it.
Old 06-25-2004, 07:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

another great write up

congrats for finally getting it BAR certified
The following users liked this post:
Old 06-25-2004, 09:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: legalizing your jdm itr motor! (sleeperciv)

Thanks everyone. I just hope this helps someone on the board, it would've helped me alot while I was trying to figure out what I needed to swap over. I think the hardest part was the oil pump because you have to remove the crank gear and pulley along with the oil pan.
Old 06-26-2004, 09:27 AM

i need some info on this too, i currenty have type r too. where did you take your car to pass those thingly. also what i did was run evap hose to jdm itb hose u mention & it runs fine.
Old 06-26-2004, 10:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: legalizing your jdm itr motor! (integrasi)

The main reason I bent that little dick off the throttle body is because I was afraid they'd know it didn't resemble the stock usdm itr one. Supposedly they have pictures of everything but I didn't see them pull out any photo albums. The state ref doesn't care if the jdm setup doesn't pollute more than the usdm model they just want it to be in exactly the same setup as the usdm version.

Modified by 2kgs-R at 12:13 PM 6/26/2004
Old 06-26-2004, 11:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

this is definately gonna help me! good work!
Old 06-26-2004, 12:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (ej0513)

with all the USDM upgrade to pass the bar test do you lose HP?
Old 06-26-2004, 05:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JDMFreak)

yes because the stock cat. sucks nutz!

Other than running stock header+cat. there wont be any decrease in power. Infact the intake manifold I have now has been slightly ported to fit a larger throttle body, and the runners have been ported slight too. I felt a significant difference after installing this usdm intake manifold because of the porting done. However when running a usdm ecu I get a check enigne light (code 45 too lean or too rich).
Old 06-26-2004, 05:58 PM

Great post , it helps me , now have confirmation that JDM's don't have vtec press. switch..... I can't find one used here , did you have to buy yours new? Thanks again! Bob
Old 06-26-2004, 06:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: legalizing your jdm itr motor! (crvtt96)

My friend had a b18c laying around in his garage and I asked him if I could borrow the vtec solenoid with oil pressure switch.
Old 06-26-2004, 07:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i know this might sound lame/stupid but is it worth wild to swap these usdm parts on just for the bar test? and then re-install it back with the JDM parts later? im located in the mid-west so we dont have the bar sticker nor even inspection sticker
Old 06-26-2004, 08:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: legalizing your jdm itr motor! (JDMFreak)

If you don't have to, don't do it. Also there would be no benifit for me to return the parts I installed back to jdm. The parts don't really effect performance their just slightly different and have sensors etc..
Old 06-27-2004, 02:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

now that ur bar'd. do u have to keep that stuff on there to pass inspection every year? or will they just look at that sticker and say, oh he's good to go.?..????
Old 06-27-2004, 02:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: legalizing your jdm itr motor! (hondaZvic)

when I go for smog I'll probably have to run stock cat. and stock header, or a header with carb numbers but for the most part I think I can run whatever intake and whatever exhaust I want.
Old 06-27-2004, 05:42 PM

hey, i have a 91 crx hf with b16a2 motor.....what do i have to do in order to pass the state referee .... wat kind of stuff do i have to buy for my car.??? is it the same item i need tat is listed above!!!

Modified by Dyn0speed at 6:09 AM 6/28/2004
Old 06-27-2004, 08:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: legalizing your jdm itr motor! (Dyn0speed)

I honestly don't know, what year is the motor? you'll probably have to add everything that the usa version has.
Old 06-27-2004, 08:42 PM

I was wondering how did you manage to get all the USDM ITR parts, aren't they hard to get?

How much did all parts add up to?

I am considering to BAR my 96 ITR Motor.

By the way, your write up is one of the best I have ever seen, great job man...
Old 06-28-2004, 03:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: legalizing your jdm itr motor! (jmk2888)

uh yeah it was a bitch trying to source all the parts, the hardest part to find was a stock cat.

I made a spread sheet of how much everything costs and it added up to about $700 but that was including a new throttle body. Alot of the little things like timing belt cover and purge solenoid I got for free from a good friend.

Thanks
Old 06-28-2004, 03:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for sharing this valuable how-to info
Old 06-28-2004, 04:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: legalizing your jdm itr motor! (Katman)

np
Old 06-29-2004, 04:18 PM

What year is your car? I am wondering because why did they give you a year 2000 sticker for your 96 motor. Unless your car was year 2000, but that does not make even more sense since don't you need a the same year or older motor?

Please enlightment me.. I am looking to smog my car in OCT. I have a 96 HB with 96 LS motor.
Old 06-29-2004, 07:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Greasemonkey)

yeah your correct but I think someone already mentioned this.

The reason why I passed with a 96 motor is because they couldn't tell what year the motor really was, I even over heard someone mention that it was a 2001 at the state ref.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: legalizing your jdm itr motor!