Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Hard downshift

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2004, 03:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard downshift

Im going to try to make this short and understandable, when i try downshifting from lets say... 3rd to 2nd, the car jerks once and goes. My question is, how do i prevent the car from jerking and downshift smoothy? thanks in advance.

Old 06-13-2004, 03:14 PM

Default Re: Hard downshift (projectem1)

blip the throttle to where the rpm would be at that speed on 2nd(before letting it go in 2nd)..then let it rip

Old 06-13-2004, 03:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

my guess would be you are letting out the clutch to fast. Also if that isn't the problem try rev matching to make the transition easier. Hope this helps.
Old 06-13-2004, 03:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hard downshift (JDMSiGuy17)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDMSiGuy17 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">my guess would be you are letting out the clutch to fast. Also if that isn't the problem try rev matching to make the transition easier. Hope this helps. </TD></TR></TABLE>

out of the topic but isn't downshift a bad pressure to your engine? i've always wonder that.
Old 06-13-2004, 03:23 PM
ABK
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hard downshift (handa)

not really, it might be bad for your tranny if not done right. You need to hit the trottle a little before you are going to let the clutch out, also if you are not trying to catch up to anybody fast just hit the trottle a little bit and let out the clutch just like in normal driving.
Old 06-13-2004, 05:36 PM

thanks guys, yea it feels like im torturing the hell out of my tranny. For example if im cruising in 4th at 40mph, and i slow down to 25, i shift to third and the car jerks hard once and continues on. So i just give it a lil gas before letting go of the clutch?
Old 06-13-2004, 05:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hard downshift (handa)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by handa &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

out of the topic but isn't downshift a bad pressure to your engine? i've always wonder that.</TD></TR></TABLE>

your prollie thinking about "downshifting" is shifting down the gears in order to help slowing down--- no. thats not downshifting. thats ******* your tranny up.

downshifting is putting the car in a lower gear in order to get the RPMs up in the powerband.
Old 06-13-2004, 05:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hard downshift (SkRiBLaH)

Watch a BMI vid and you'll see how to downshift properly.
Old 06-13-2004, 06:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hard downshift (Skip01)

with practice, you can blip the throttle and downshift seamlessly. i shift from 4th to 2nd seamlessly, other people in the car can't even tell except for the rpm's jumping up. it just takes time. the way i learned to do it is to coast in 4th at about 40mph. i clutch in, blip the throttle, and put it into secondwell letting the clutch out just as the rpm's reach where i intend them to be. with practice, you should be able to downshift like this and not even notice it. i find myself doing it and not even noticing i did it. practice man. good luck
Old 06-13-2004, 06:54 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by projectem1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thanks guys, yea it feels like im torturing the hell out of my tranny. For example if im cruising in 4th at 40mph, and i slow down to 25, i shift to third and the car jerks hard once and continues on. So i just give it a lil gas before letting go of the clutch?</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah, or let out the clutch way slower
Old 06-13-2004, 07:32 PM

Default Re: Hard downshift (duh blacksheep)

thanks everybody for your help, i guess i need more practice since im a noob at driving a manual.
Old 06-13-2004, 07:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i thought i knew how to downshift i guess not because your suggestions are different from what i do. Are you guys saying that when going 45 mph in 4th to push the clutch in get in neutral let the clutch out, then throtle to get rpms high, then clutch in again to shift into third or second and then let clutch out???????

i usually just go 45 mph in 4th clutch in rev a lil and drop into third and let go of the clutch...hence i only clutch once not twice, so i rev while the clutch is pressed against the floor and not in neutral.

Wow i wrote a mess well you all have a great day now
Old 06-13-2004, 08:57 PM

Default Re: Hard downshift (bboylito)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bboylito &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i thought i knew how to downshift i guess not because your suggestions are different from what i do. Are you guys saying that when going 45 mph in 4th to push the clutch in get in neutral let the clutch out, then throtle to get rpms high, then clutch in again to shift into third or second and then let clutch out???????

i usually just go 45 mph in 4th clutch in rev a lil and drop into third and let go of the clutch...hence i only clutch once not twice, so i rev while the clutch is pressed against the floor and not in neutral.

Wow i wrote a mess well you all have a great day now</TD></TR></TABLE>

you can do that, its the same outcome, but the way you descrive will wear out the syncros really fast. you can just pull it out of gear without the clutch, blip the trottle and then cltuch and gear in, its the same as double clutching but without hitting the clutch twice
Old 06-13-2004, 09:07 PM

it doesn't wear out the synchros to double clutch this is untrue. its actually assist them. even more what you describe is hard on the tranny if you don't know how to "unload" the tranny first. but yeah just learn how to drive first.
Old 06-14-2004, 04:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hard downshift (JMaxx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bboylito &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i thought i knew how to downshift i guess not because your suggestions are different from what i do. Are you guys saying that when going 45 mph in 4th to push the clutch in get in neutral let the clutch out, then throtle to get rpms high, then clutch in again to shift into third or second and then let clutch out???????

Wow i wrote a mess well you all have a great day now</TD></TR></TABLE>

that is just how i personally do it. when i clutch, i only have to move it about 2 inches to have the clutch fully disengaged, so its more of a double tap when i do it.
Old 06-14-2004, 06:05 AM

Default Re: Hard downshift (ninefivehatch)

please rev match when u downshift hard. your tranny will want to hug you afterwards
Old 06-14-2004, 07:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Hard downshift (boostin4drcivic)

what happens to the tranny when you downshift hard without double clutching?

my friend does that all the time, he downshifts from 4th to 2nd and the whole car jerks back.
Old 06-14-2004, 07:48 AM

Default Re: Hard downshift (thrty8street)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by thrty8street &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what happens to the tranny when you downshift hard without double clutching?

my friend does that all the time, he downshifts from 4th to 2nd and the whole car jerks back.</TD></TR></TABLE>

when you force your shifter into gear, it will wear out the syncros really fast without double clutching. letting go of the clutch fast to make the car jerk is irrelavent. if your friend keeps this up, his syncros will last way shorter than the average driver and start to grind his gear cause the syncros wont beable to hack that abuse
Old 06-14-2004, 09:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by duh blacksheep &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

when you force your shifter into gear, it will wear out the syncros really fast without double clutching. letting go of the clutch fast to make the car jerk is irrelavent. if your friend keeps this up, his syncros will last way shorter than the average driver and start to grind his gear cause the syncros wont beable to hack that abuse</TD></TR></TABLE>

what he said. on a somewhat related note, don't shift hard when your first learning standard. when i first got my car in feb. i thought i was badass driving a standard. now my 3rd gear synchro is on its way out. a hard downshift isn't really needed unless your on a road race course.
Old 06-14-2004, 10:51 PM

heel-toe downshift
it takes awhile to learn but once you do its sweet and you'll be doing it all the time...

basically when you have to slow down, you press the brake to slow down... while holding the brake down with your right foot the entire time... you push in the clutch with your left foot, downshift, twist your right foot and blip the throttle to the RPMs it needs to be... then you let out the clutch and let off the brake (if needed)... so you're doing a lot at once but it's definitely smoother and better...

the only thing is that you really do need good throttle response to really be a blip... with most stock cars you kinda have to press hard on the throttle or hold it down longer to get it to be where it needs to be...
Old 06-15-2004, 02:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As the man says, heel and toe. I drive everywhere heel and toe, i can let the clutch out INSTANTLY without any jerk or missmatch of revs and thats how it should be you don't see pro drivers feeding clutch coming down gears, learn to drive before you wreck your cars people.
Old 06-27-2004, 10:07 AM

revv match..then slam it
Old 06-27-2004, 12:06 PM

Default Re: Hard downshift (SkRiBLaH)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SkRiBLaH &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">your prollie thinking about "downshifting" is shifting down the gears in order to help slowing down--- no. thats not downshifting. thats ******* your tranny up.

downshifting is putting the car in a lower gear in order to get the RPMs up in the powerband.</TD></TR></TABLE>

According to the DMV he's downshifting, just not doing it right. All of the people I know had to downshift to slow down their cars during the manual driving test. If they didn't do it they lost points. That's why they recommend using an automatic for the test. Also I have heard that it is recommended to do this in conjunction with your brakes to reduce stress on them as well as extend their life. It also brings the vehicles speed down much faster than just using your brakes. I use it while I'm in traffic to keep from hitting the idiot in front of me who just slammed on his brakes because he was tailgating.
Old 06-27-2004, 12:37 PM

Default Re: Hard downshift (crashN2u)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by crashN2u &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

According to the DMV he's downshifting, just not doing it right. All of the people I know had to downshift to slow down their cars during the manual driving test. If they didn't do it they lost points. That's why they recommend using an automatic for the test. Also I have heard that it is recommended to do this in conjunction with your brakes to reduce stress on them as well as extend their life. It also brings the vehicles speed down much faster than just using your brakes. I use it while I'm in traffic to keep from hitting the idiot in front of me who just slammed on his brakes because he was tailgating.</TD></TR></TABLE>

what costs more? brake pads? or a new tranny and clutch?
Old 06-27-2004, 06:51 PM

Default Re: Hard downshift (egtype-r)

I've spent more money on my brakes than it would cost to get a new tranny. Besides I have never had a problem with either of my trannys(or would it be trannies) in my cars and I downshift daily to slow down. I've never seen any damage to my engine or tranny. If you do it right it will use your engine to help you slow down. I'm not talking about slamming it from 5th to 3rd at 80-90 MPH. I've seen people do it and that's just stupid.

Quick Reply: Hard downshift