Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

(SUSPENSION) CLUNKING NOISE?

Old 06-25-2004, 12:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default (SUSPENSION) CLUNKING NOISE?

Maybe someone can help me out...it seems like it all started when this one time I was making a left turn onto a street...I saw a car coming towards me so I sped up while taking the turn...I have an h22/civic btw...so axles might be a culprit also...but anyway...when I did that...I heard something...like something bottomed out...so now whenever I gun it and my tires start to spin...some kind of clunking noise shows up...my guess is that maybe I blew a shock and it's bottoming out everytime I spin and get wheel hop...or maybe a joint on one of my axles...worse case I can think of would be my differential (Quaife)...but I would imagine that it would make a noise all the time...anyone have any idea what it might be?

P.S. kind of sounds like my downpipe is hitting my oil pan but I dont think it's that...cuz it never did it before the incident described above

Modified by teameracer3 at 2:24 AM 6/25/2004
Old 06-26-2004, 10:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SUSPENSION) CLUNKING NOISE? (teameracer3)

bump!
Old 06-27-2004, 01:00 AM

Yeah my car pop/clunks from the rear right whenever I make sharp lefts because the previous owner ran it with lowered coilover springs on stock shocks/struts. I'm almost 100% that, and your problem is the shock/strut; it's a pretty noticeable clunk and it comes right from the wheel well. It could also be tie-rod (inner), because that happened to my friend's civic when he ate a curb.

Try to have someone in another car next to you, on the side you hear it from and see if its as noticeable from the outside, especially from the wheel well. If it's more noticeably or "felt" from the inside, it's probably a tie-rod. You can check the shock/strut by buying (~$20, autozone) one and installing, then returning it if that doesn't fix it. The rule of thumb is you replace shocks/struts in pairs, but this is just for diagnostic.

gl =\
Old 06-27-2004, 07:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: (SUSPENSION) CLUNKING NOISE? (phobi9)

my car does just about the same thing. i replaced both outer tie rods, and the inner tie rods are not leaking any steering fluid. i have a broken lower motor mount on the drivers side, so i think it might be that....
Old 06-27-2004, 09:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SUSPENSION) CLUNKING NOISE? (blackeg)

the same thing happend to me also, my problem was the axle...every time i gunned it and went over 20 mph it would make that clunking noise u speak of...pop ur hood n check if the shaft of the axle has popped out of the boot..
Old 06-27-2004, 09:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Check control arm bushings, ball joints and do a once-over of the whole suspension.

Could possibly be a CV joint, but it would be more of a tick or pop on cornering, not straight.
Old 06-27-2004, 10:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SUSPENSION) CLUNKING NOISE? (Cynical 1)

thanks for all the input so far fellas...if anyone else has a clue as to what might be my problem...please post!
Old 06-27-2004, 10:45 AM

TURNING AND CLICKING = BAD CV JOINTS happens to front wheel drive cars all the time, expensive fix if u get it done by someone.
Old 06-27-2004, 05:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SUSPENSION) CLUNKING NOISE? (DaZman69)

update: my crankshaft has been rubbing my frame at one point or another...people at the track said they saw sparks from my car when I shifted to second. motor mount messed up?
Old 06-28-2004, 12:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

get down there and take a look at the motor mounts- im glad i did, cause now i know i have a busted one. my car also does this noise sometimes when im not moving but have the wheel cut all the way to one side. would this be a steering rack problem?
Old 07-08-2004, 05:55 PM

Default Re: (SUSPENSION) CLUNKING NOISE? (blackeg)

I gotta bump this thread instead of making a new one.... I have most of these problems on my sol. I have replaced my shocks, springs, axles, upper control arms, new tires and the problem still persists. I hear/feel a clunking noise in the front somewhere (can't pinpoint) when I let off the gas, step on the brakes, turn left to right quickly (bad description but like when nascar racers warm their tires). I can't figure it out and it's driving me nuts.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blackeg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">get down there and take a look at the motor mounts- im glad i did, cause now i know i have a busted one. my car also does this noise sometimes when im not moving but have the wheel cut all the way to one side. would this be a steering rack problem? </TD></TR></TABLE>
Anyone have a pic of this mount? Is it the one where the alternator is on an H22 or under the motor's ground wire (bad descriptions again but it's the best I can do). Also, the noise is there when I am not moving and crank the wheel to one side as mentioned by blackeg also.
Old 07-08-2004, 06:23 PM

Default Re: (SUSPENSION) CLUNKING NOISE? (SolObsession)

try to tighten up your endlinks if you have sway bars. my car made a clunk sound and this is what caused it.
Old 07-08-2004, 06:24 PM

Default Re: (SUSPENSION) CLUNKING NOISE? (deviant1)

Thanks, I'll look into that in the morning.