Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Tech / Misc (https://honda-tech.com/forums/tech-misc-15/)
-   -   Car shakes, rear wheel bearing?? (https://honda-tech.com/forums/tech-misc-15/car-shakes-rear-wheel-bearing-954750/)

jdmstreethatch 08-10-2004 12:48 PM

Car shakes, rear wheel bearing??

Okay I just had a front and rear aligment and my rear tires balanced and my car still shakes and produces a lot of road noise from the rear at about 60kph. Ive also replaced the drivers side rear wheel bearing which makes me think maybe the left side bearing needs to be replaced too. Whenver im making a right hand turn or even pull the steering wheel to the right the sound and vibration goes away BUT if i make a left hand turn or pull the wheel to the left the sound (road noise) and vibration is still there.
Does this sound like a rear wheel bearing?

thanks alot
chris

Chiovnidca 08-10-2004 01:37 PM

Re: Car shakes, rear wheel bearing?? (jdmstreethatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdmstreethatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Does this sound like a rear wheel bearing?

</TD></TR></TABLE>
Sounds like a wheel bearing, it wouldn't be likely to cause a vibration though. Are any of your tires chopped? That can cause a similar noise and a vibration also.

jdmstreethatch 08-10-2004 01:48 PM

you mean like a piece missing out of the tire? i dont think there is but i havent really checked. but, that wouldnt explain why the noise goes away when i turn to the right would it?

Chiovnidca 08-10-2004 02:13 PM

Re: (jdmstreethatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdmstreethatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> but, that wouldnt explain why the noise goes away when i turn to the right would it?</TD></TR></TABLE>
Usually wheel bearings do that. A "chopped' tire has the tread worn in patches, if you rub your hand aver the tire you will know.

jdmstreethatch 08-10-2004 02:19 PM

Re: (Chiovnidca)

the tires are brand new so i doubt its the tires.
so do you think i should change the rear wheel bearing?

Chiovnidca 08-10-2004 02:20 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdmstreethatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the tires are brand new so i doubt its the tires.
so do you think i should change the rear wheel bearing?</TD></TR></TABLE>
If that's the bad one.

jdmstreethatch 08-10-2004 03:36 PM

up....any more opinions??

redlineintegra 08-10-2004 03:36 PM

Alot of times the vibration comes from a bad inner cv joint, typically if the axle is old, or a remanufactured unit. I have experienced this more than I like to admit on my Integra https://honda-tech.com/forums/images...s/emthdown.gif

jdmstreethatch 08-10-2004 04:22 PM

Re: (redlineintegra)

yeah but if the problem was in my axel wouldnt i feel it through the steering wheel?? the vibration i feel is definatly from the back not thru the steering wheel.

nsxmatt 08-10-2004 05:06 PM

Jack the car up and see if there is any play in it. You can also remove the wheel and drum and turn the hub by hand and feel if it's bad.

jdmstreethatch 08-10-2004 05:41 PM

yeah i tried pulling on the wheel but there is no play. i heard it has to get pretty bad before that happens.

if i turn the hub will it drag if its bad or what should i be looking for?

jdmstreethatch 08-10-2004 09:23 PM

up for more opinons....the rear bearing/hub aint cheap so i want to make sure thats the problem

Chiovnidca 08-11-2004 03:10 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdmstreethatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">up for more opinons....the rear bearing/hub aint cheap so i want to make sure thats the problem</TD></TR></TABLE>
Spin it. Is it noisy?

JimBlake 08-11-2004 05:36 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdmstreethatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">up for more opinons...</TD></TR></TABLE>It's not about OPINIONS over the net. You've got to check it out yourself.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Chiovnidca &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Spin it. Is it noisy?</TD></TR></TABLE>There's no substitute for actually doing that. A bearing can go bad by getting tight & rough. When that happens, it makes noise, but it doesn't get loose. You have to get the brakes completely out of the picture in order to feel whether the bearing is smooth.