Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Tech / Misc (https://honda-tech.com/forums/tech-misc-15/)
-   -   Symptoms of a bad axle? (https://honda-tech.com/forums/tech-misc-15/symptoms-bad-axle-94817/)

Powered by Honda 11-28-2001 05:48 PM

Symptoms of a bad axle?

Just curious what the symptoms are for a bad axle? I took my friend out for a spin and was droppin' my clutch and boning out here and there before I noticed a little driver's side wheel wobble. I'm thinking it could be an axle...any other ideas? Thanks for any help...

[Modified by MugenHondaFormula1, 2:49 AM 11/29/2001]

Giuseppe 11-28-2001 11:35 PM

Re: Symptoms of a bad axle? (MugenHondaFormula1)

jack up the wheel, give it a spin(slowly)
and see if it binds during rotation...

your wheels wobble, maybe a rotor issue..

HTH

Crossett 11-29-2001 02:56 AM

Re: Symptoms of a bad axle? (Giuseppe)

vibration under acceleration

jabroni95gsr 11-29-2001 08:54 AM

Re: Symptoms of a bad axle? (Crossett)

Just had this problem. I had a fairly extensive post on it (search) and it took me two weeks to figure it out. My car has 80k hard miles. It turned out to be the half shaft ultimately that would wobble under acceleration. I actually had both axles replaced as well - around $800-1000 to get all of that fixed. ouch. Sorry!

hope this helps.

Crossett 11-29-2001 11:32 AM

Re: Symptoms of a bad axle? (jabroni95gsr)

you paid way too much money. Just pull the axles out and take them to be rebuilt, it should cost about $50 p/axle.

LordoftheAccord 11-29-2001 11:38 AM

Re: Symptoms of a bad axle? (Crossett)

where can you take them to be rebuilt? any automotive shop? and how do you pull the axles out yourself..do you need a special tool or anything? cuz i think i'm gonna have to replace my axles too.

3.3.3 11-29-2001 11:48 AM

Re: Symptoms of a bad axle? (LordoftheAccord)

when you turn or under normal driving you hear a clicking/knocking sound from the axle.

RyanR 11-29-2001 11:59 AM

Re: Symptoms of a bad axle? (maks)

If the outer CV joint is worn you'll get a clicking noise when turning. If the inner joint is worn you'll get vibration under acceleration.

[Modified by 97TypeR_9, 12:59 PM 11/29/2001]

jabroni95gsr 11-29-2001 02:20 PM

Re: Symptoms of a bad axle? (97TypeR_9)

I wouldn't even know where to start pulling out my axles.

also, from what I know, there are the two axles and then the half shaft. Is this correct?

actually it was
125 per axle (lifetime guarantee)
125 labor per axle (lifetime labor charge as well)
and 300 for a new half shaft from Acura.
~800

unless you do the work yourself, (which I don't but wish I could) thats pretty good no?

BreakStuff 11-29-2001 05:45 PM

Re: Symptoms of a bad axle? (MugenHondaFormula1)

Axles do not wobble without making a considerable amount of noise.. you would hear a clunking, clattering noise before feeling a vibration...

I've seen new axles that have been bent, but i'm assuming the axles your talking about aren't new...

If the car hasn't been badly "bottomed out" or sustained any suspension damage then I would definatly say it isnt an axle.. I would look into the tire condition or tire balance.. an easy determination would be to exchange the tire with another on the car and see if the vibration "moves" to the location of the problem tire...